PDA

View Full Version : New Here and wanted to post pics of my Turbocharged 400ex

twinty
04-01-2008, 09:41 PM
With a little R&D and patience here is the finished PROTOTYPE. note that the turbo is a used piece and the exhaust is not finished but none the less it ripps! you can pull the front tires in any gear at any speed above 6000rpm, at that point boost is almost instant!! I am currently running a wiseco 10:1 piston with a .073" head shim to lower compression to 8.3:1, the cam is a stage one hotcam to bring back the torque with the lowered compression, I am running the stock carb right now jetted with a 46 pilot and 155 main and the needle lowered to the lowest clip. 14psi of boost on 50/50 mix of 94 and 100ll av gas, no signs of detonation on the plug and the wideband says 11.9 at full boost. Stock timing curve too, but unfortunatly the stock clutch wont hold the power at all, didnt last one run and spun!... I have a FCR-39 on the way to really bring out the madness, boost is unreal! Next on the list of mods will be an extended swingarm, and maybe a hinson clutch kit if the barnett doesnt last, hopefully the basket doesn't break. I will be putting it on my dyno as soon as the adapter is fabricated, hopefully next week.
Here are some dirty pics, but pics none the less!

http://www.goturbo.ca/webpics/quad/1.JPG

http://www.goturbo.ca/webpics/quad/2.JPG

http://www.goturbo.ca/webpics/quad/3.JPG

http://www.goturbo.ca/webpics/quad/4.JPG

http://www.goturbo.ca/webpics/quad/5.JPG

let me know what you think, I am new here, but have been lurking and reading up, and love this forum, great information, and seems to be a great group of peeps here, cheers!!
mitch.

tri5ron
04-01-2008, 09:50 PM
What???
No Nitrous ???:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

twinty
04-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
What???
No Nitrous ???:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:
that you can see!!!....jk who needs nitrous when you have a turbo!!

Phillburt57
04-01-2008, 11:10 PM
:huh

my88r
04-01-2008, 11:49 PM
:o

GPracer2500
04-02-2008, 03:01 AM
Can you explain how the fuel system works? Is the carb sealed inside that box? I'm not real familiar with turbo'ing with a carb but am curious how it's done.

bearair
04-02-2008, 06:53 AM
So did you just pressurize the airbox and eliminate the filter? I would have thought that a 155 was a bit small on the main, but since you're pressurizing the carb it probably pressurizes the float bowl as well. How did you vent the carb? Which turbo did you use? Looks like a lot of time and effort went into it. Congrats!

maxfior
04-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Any videos? That would be awesome!

M.

bry14661
04-02-2008, 08:37 AM
i hope you know you cant even ride in dust now let alone the wet mud thats on your fenders. with a turbo spinning at 120k RPM one spec of dust will murder the bearings.

twinty
04-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Modifying a carb for blowthrough is simple, just pressurize the bowl vents and any other vents on the carb as well as increase fuel pressure with boost. The key is using what is called a "pilot tube" this is a tube that is inside one of the boost tubes facing against the flow of air, this is where you hook the bowl vents to. It allows smaller jets because it forces fuel out the jets under boost and keeps the low speed drivability of smaller jetting off boost. The airbox needs to be several sizes bigger than engine displacement on a single cylinder though to make it run proper, the pulsing really screws up the carburation if not dampened.
I will post a video once I get the new clutch in it and hopefully the FCR shows up by then too.
The turbo is a TD04-9b off a dodge colt turbo, I tried a IHI-rhf3 ballbearing turbo but it was way too small, it would make 1psi of boost at idle and 15psi just revving it up, there was some great off idle torque, but that was it. The exhaust side of the turbo just didnt flow enough to make any top end horsepower. The 9b is still almost a bit small as it builds 5psi just driving up the road at any speed in any gear. At 45mph it is boosting all the time and really want to go!

As for riding in the dirt, I ride this thing strictly off road, that is what the air filter is for. I have an extension to put the filter up behind the headlights if I am going somewhere real muddy! I really dont know how the dust is going to get in my oil, as that is the only way to get to the bearings, just so you know.
cheers!

http://www.goturbo.ca/webpics/quad/6.JPG

http://www.goturbo.ca/webpics/quad/7.JPG

hornetgod13
04-02-2008, 10:13 AM
This is truely one of a kind. How does it run? I'd love to see some video of it in action. I wonder what dyno numbers would be on this.

twinty
04-02-2008, 10:26 AM
thanks! it runs as good as stock, throttle response is awesome, and being able to pull the front tires at any speed is awesome! I cant wait to get the clutch and bigger carb in it and go climb some hills, or blast some fire roads! My friend has a fully built 440ex with pretty much everything done to it, fcr, hinson clutch 12.5:1, full exhaust....much more too, we will be racing soon! I will post some video of that and much more as it comes.

hornetgod13
04-02-2008, 12:59 PM
What state do you live in? Are there any good riding areas near you?

Are you concerned about the turbo ruining the durability of the engine?

twinty
04-02-2008, 02:27 PM
I live in B.C. Canada, there is some decent sand riding in kamloops about an hour from where I live. We mainly ride all the logging roads around here, and of course all the local gravel pits!
I have put alot of turbos on alot of different engines and all failures were octane or heat related, boost really doesnt stress the engine as much as high rpm, high comopression n/a engines do. The boost actually helps slow the piston down as it is getting to the TDC just before the intake stroke, and the extra volume really help cushion the piston on the compression stroke. Just about every engine will take 15psi on stock internals, its usually the ring lands on the piston that let go first. That is why I put a wiseco piston in, cast pistons and boost dont go together well at all...

http://www.goturbo.ca/webpics/quad/8.JPG

04-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Have uprated the cooling system on the ride? Or are you still using the stock oil cooler?

twinty
04-02-2008, 02:42 PM
I have a bigger cooler to go inline for the oil feed to the head, you can see the lines and fittings in the first set of pics. I still have to hook up the fan though for slow speed riding, if there will be any...:D

anybody ever use a heat gun to check the temperature of the cooling fins on the engine? what is normal for these ex's?

STUNTIN400EX
04-02-2008, 04:49 PM
THAT IS AN AWESOME QUAD! would love to know what turbo you used, and how you keep that thing feed with fuel! would think you would have had to up grade the carb first! just based off my knowledge of the cummins turbo. you know us indiana boys love our cummins!

gcart2
04-02-2008, 05:06 PM
so um... i just creamed my pants... lol this thing is badddddd

lilhouskey
04-02-2008, 05:50 PM
that kicks so much ***, is there lots of good riding in the kamloops area? Im from Edmonton and me and my buddies usually go up to Hinton to ride the sand there but we are always lookin for new spots to hit.

sc400ex_rider
04-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by twinty

anybody ever use a heat gun to check the temperature of the cooling fins on the engine? what is normal for these ex's?

i have a ray tech and my built motor runs 250-260 on the left side and about 220 on the right (exhaust) side. its lower on the right cause theres a air gap for the timing chain. anything over 300 is bad.

good job this looks sweet and im sure it runs :eek2: :D :blah:

stalefish_132
04-03-2008, 09:38 PM
hey Mitch!, glad to see ya on one here. this guy knows his shnit, me and mitch raced couple weekends ago when he still had that IHI-rhf3 and my 440EX (mods in sig) beat him by quite a bit but i rode that thing how it is now (before you burnt up the clutch!)and it rips! with a FCR this thing will be nuts

we'll post a video of me and twinty racing once her gets his clutch together.

04-04-2008, 12:23 AM
You got any shot of the whole bike?

DF400ex
04-15-2008, 03:45 AM
Looks good man.

How much do you have invested into this as far as money and hours go.

DementeD
04-15-2008, 08:12 AM
i got that same turbo layin around..im actually missing the exhaust housing..and i was thinkin about turboin but...really im at a loss of how to go about it..definitely read how you did but still i wouldnt feel comfortable..plus i dont have anyone around that could do my piping :D ...if you ever felt like writing up a "how-to" id definitely be interested..thanks -josh

also u use oil to cool the turbo...that stock oil cooling system from the 400ex can do this? or is there another method u use etc?

twinty
04-15-2008, 10:15 AM
as far as money goes,

150 weisco piston
35 head shim
40 oil lines
10 airbox aluminum
100 used turbo
200 intercooler core, could have used cheaper but had laying around
150 silicone hose and piping
60 oil tank aluminum and fittings
130 msd fuel pump
150 fuel pressure regulator
30 hella relay for fuel pump
85 boost gauge
50 boost controller
100 k&n air filter and sock
about 12 hours of mockup and 4 hours welding, the header was the hardest piece to build.

I use the return side of the oil system, to the stock cooler, to oil the turbo, just have to tee into it after the cooler and restrict it going back into the tank so it builds 10psi at idle and 50+psi pressure thereafter. it then drains back into the custom oil tank.

The biggest problem I am having is clutches, it just spins the clutch as soon as the boost builds, The barnett didnt last two days!! I have tried different oils, all with the JASO certification, and no luck. I will try an EBC EP 8 plate for a trx250r, It has kevlar plates so maybe It will hold up...I really dont want to buy the hinson 8 plate kit, very spendy$$$....this is a budget build!!

I have had it out quite a bit lately and it runs awesome despite the clutch problem, it needs more cooling as the heat gun says 300 quite often...but it still lives, thats a Honda for you! It will catwalk in every gear even with the clutch slipping.

I raced a CRF450r the other day and we were dead even, That was at 10 psi boost with the clutch slipping bad! I still have the FCR to install too...lol. I cant wait to turn the boost back up and put the tall gears in it, should be a mover then!

edited : added more parts I forgot about...

DementeD
04-15-2008, 10:28 AM
it looks like u have an inline fuel pump as well??

sc400ex_rider
04-15-2008, 11:10 AM
yes it looks like you have a fuel pressure regulator on there too. i see a brass t spliter. i also see what might be a fuel filter (looks like a tiny elec fuel pump). if you could draw a simple diagram in paint with the vacuum routing in blue then the fuel in red it might help. i have read on here that the factory cluch plates are some of the best. dont forget to soak them in oil for about a week to let it fully penatrate. maybee get some heavy duty clutch springs and then shim them with some washers. then if its to hard to pull maybe extend the (engine) cluch lever arm to make it easier again. just a thought sweet mod

tim colston
04-15-2008, 01:35 PM
looks good but all that work and that think is a pigpen. Is it always like that or did you just get done riding? Not bashing it is your machine but it seems like that would need to be clean at all times with it being a turbo and all.

red_rider_069
04-15-2008, 02:50 PM
so how much was it.. and can you show a pic of your full beast?!.. i wanna see where your left header goes

UNBROKEN
04-15-2008, 05:14 PM
man that thing is sick who makes the turbo for it

Brauap
04-15-2008, 06:19 PM
...................whats FCR? :confused:

04-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Brauap

Ford Cutlass Roadster lol j/k Its the type of carb i believe

TheNewn
04-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Brauap

A very nice Keihin Carb, he's probably getting the 39mm model.

http://www.keihin-us.com/am/products/fcrmx.php

As for the person who asked 'who makes the turbo' if you read this thread he will tell you what he uses. :rolleyes:

UNBROKEN
04-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
Ford Cutlass Roadster lol j/k Its the type of carb i believe :D ahahahahahah its the carb that comes on the yz400f-450 and other factory performance 4 stroke engines...

dsbomb89
04-30-2008, 08:15 PM
hey what fuel pump are you running?

twinty
05-01-2008, 12:27 AM
hey what fuel pump are you running?

an msd #2225, its a high pressure pump but doesnt really matter as I am
only running it at 3psi + boost pressure.

so far I have taken it out three weekends in a row, it runs awesome!
It gets a little hot though....320+*F after pounding through the snow for a
while in 5th gear, at 14psi boost! I have a fan mounted on it now
directing air at the engine, i will see if that helps.
On another
note... It NEEDS higher gears! I can start in second and shift as fast as I can
and run out long before it stopps pulling, rev limiter in fifth with the tires
spinning! it reminds me of a modded banshee I once rode, endless power!

cheers! mitch.

05-01-2008, 12:59 AM
MORE PICS MITCH!!

dsbomb89
05-01-2008, 01:36 AM
so you set it at 3 psi and the reg does the rest? wat reg did you go for? haha bad sounds pretty insane. snow riding would be mean. how easy was it to tune? did you jet the carb at all to start with or just run the increased fuel pressure

twinty
05-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by dsbomb89
so you set it at 3 psi and the reg does the rest? wat reg did you go for? haha bad sounds pretty insane. snow riding would be mean. how easy was it to tune? did you jet the carb at all to start with or just run the increased fuel pressure

Ya, the carb always sees 3psi of fuel pressure plus boost. You have to keep
the pressure above the boost pressure to keep the fuel flowing to the float
bowl under boost. The reg is a Malpassi 1:1 model and makes sure the
pressure is always 3psi above boost.

With the proper pilot tube setup to reference the carb to boost, (google this)
jetting is real close to what it would be on a NA engine. stock carb I am jetted
155 main and 55 pilot (should be 48-52 it runs way rich at idle 10:1 on the
wideband air fuel) I tried all sorts of jets at first, reading the plug pulling my hair
out and eventually got fed up, so I welded an 02 bung in the exhaust and
hooked up my wideband from my dyno and took it for a spin. A hour later and
a few jet changes along with some fine tuning with the needle and it runs
almost perfect. If I changed the pilot to something smaller it would run
perfect. I removed the choke from the stock carb and even so now when it is
cold out (5*c) it fires right up and idles no problem. honestly the biggest problem
to overcome with doing a turbo on a single cylinder is dampening the pulses in
the airbox, without doing this it is impossible to tune it, and will never make
the power it should.

The thing is a Blast! I wish we had some big sand hills around here to really
test it out, pulling the front tires at speed in 5th gear is kinda scary! There
are some small sand hills right close to my house and it will catwalk from
the bottom to top in third gear with tons of power to spare, if the hill was longer
I could easily get it in fourth but at that speed I would launch into the trees at
the top, or go over backwards!

I will take some action pics and maybe some video this weekend and post them,
it is way too clean right now I must go get it dirty!
mitch.

dsbomb89
05-07-2008, 11:50 PM
yea did you put baffles in the box at all or is it just open? is the pipe from the box to the carb same size as the the one that ran from the air filter box to the carb originally?

07trx400ex
05-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Whoever did this is a genius.

stalefish_132
06-02-2008, 10:22 PM
after alot of hard riding, sadly the T-EX let loose. it droped the right exhaust valve and chew'd up the piston and cyl. head. dont worry tho, mitch is talking of rear mount turbo and big bore and a more wild cam. stay tuned

stresy01
06-03-2008, 07:07 AM
This thread needs VIDEO!!!

krt400ex
06-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by stresy01
This thread needs VIDEO!!!

yea, i wanna see this thing killing modded banshees!!!

vAnS_77
06-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Grand total? There is a 700 turbo raptor out there that produces 77 hp...Thats just insane. Get it on the streets that would probably be the coolest thing since the car....

Claas900
08-07-2008, 09:54 PM
I wanted to give this a bump and say try to use a Sparks clutch kit.You may also want to get a performance engineering clutch basket. I had very good luck with this combo.

Honda#4
08-08-2008, 06:40 AM
Yea I definently need to see a vid, I bet she's pushin 85hp.

YELLOW_TRX400EX
12-23-2008, 10:50 AM
what did u do with the oil cooler??i don see it in the pictures?

YELLOW_TRX400EX
12-23-2008, 10:51 AM
and oil tank?

dunatic
01-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Claas900
I wanted to give this a bump and say try to use a Sparks clutch kit.You may also want to get a performance engineering clutch basket. I had very good luck with this combo.

Just call Kevin at Gigot Racing and get a slingshot lock up. All you worries are over.

dunatic
01-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by vAnS_77
Grand total? There is a 700 turbo raptor out there that produces 77 hp...Thats just insane. Get it on the streets that would probably be the coolest thing since the car....

77 hp ? there are 700 raptors (858cc) turbo'd pushing 150hp now.

Do a google search for four stroke wars and see who won the king of the dunes.

shadygrady3000
01-15-2009, 10:23 AM
ONCE YOU GET IT DONE I WOULD LIKE TO GET ONE DONE TO MY QUAD AS WELL. ARE YOU GOING TO PUT A LIST OF EVERYTHING THAT YOU HAD TO GET TO INSTALL IT WITH A LIST OF INSTRUCTIONS OF HOW TO INSTALL IT. I HAVE A FEW BUDDIES THAT I WOULD LIKE TO BLOW THE DOORS OFF OF IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

adawg89
01-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by shadygrady3000
ONCE YOU GET IT DONE I WOULD LIKE TO GET ONE DONE TO MY QUAD AS WELL. ARE YOU GOING TO PUT A LIST OF EVERYTHING THAT YOU HAD TO GET TO INSTALL IT WITH A LIST OF INSTRUCTIONS OF HOW TO INSTALL IT. I HAVE A FEW BUDDIES THAT I WOULD LIKE TO BLOW THE DOORS OFF OF IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

You may want to look at my thread. Right now I'm getting all the HD internal parts list so the engine can handle the turbo

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=378470

adawg89
01-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Also this thread is back in 2008 early 08 so I doubt he's on here anymore.

ove_98 tsi
03-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Modifying a carb for blowthrough is simple, just pressurize the bowl vents and any other vents on the carb as well as increase fuel pressure with boost. The key is using what is called a "pilot tube" this is a tube that is inside one of the boost tubes facing against the flow of air, this is where you hook the bowl vents to.

can anyone please explain this
do i take the hose that comes off the float bowl like for overflow and pressurize that (the black one in my pic)
then hook that hose up to the pilot tube?
thanks

honda400ex2003
03-11-2009, 11:03 PM
WOW!!!!!:o speechless!!! :eek2: Insane. I wish, mine runs about 210-220 oil temps. I have never checked the fins. Good luck and more pics are always good. Steve

YELLOW_TRX400EX
03-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by ove_98 tsi
can anyone please explain this
do i take the hose that comes off the float bowl like for overflow and pressurize that (the black one in my pic)
then hook that hose up to the pilot tube?
thanks

where did you find thet pilot tube?> gone crazy looking for it dont know what it is or where to find it.....