PDA

View Full Version : truckers going on strike........

trx400EXtreme
04-01-2008, 08:55 PM
it's been all over the news around here. what is this going to do for gas?? wil it make it better?worse?will it stay the same??? lets hear some opinions.

04-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Dont no what to think. IMO prices wont change. Wont do anything.

300EXrider356
04-01-2008, 09:02 PM
This has been in the works for a while now, I'm hoping it brings it down a tad:rolleyes:

JJs450r
04-01-2008, 09:03 PM
heard was cause of gas and will make other stuff go up n price

Scro
04-01-2008, 09:28 PM
It won't do a damn thing to the price of gas. The oil business is not controlled by the minority of truckers. The only thing it may do is help out the truckers themselves.

RideRed84
04-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Scro
It won't do a damn thing to the price of gas. The oil business is not controlled by the minority of truckers. The only thing it may do is help out the truckers themselves.

No, but with out trucks moving freight the economy stops. Perishable goods go bad and inventory drops. This may get the federal and state gas tax to drop making gas come down about 20 cents a gallon and if the truckers make enough noise the government may step in an heavily tax oil companies on their profits if they don't drop oil prices. The oil companies will keep raising gas prices unless some one takes a stand. They are gouging to see how much we'll pay. They are making more money now than ever, oil shortage is a bunch of crap. I applaud the truckers, I hope they stick this out and make a difference.

FHKracingZ
04-01-2008, 10:07 PM
this happened in the 70's and gas went down VERY fast, i hope they do it. it will go down very fast if they do

bulkdriverlp
04-01-2008, 10:33 PM
without trucks we wouldnt have anything. i drove for 2 years. you wouldnt beleive how many times a semi-trailer is handled until it gets to its destination. im not sure it will work, have no idea. the owner-operators will end up going out of business and have to sell thier trucks and go to work as a company driver. the payment on a new semi is about 1,400 bucks a month.

MXQUAD294
04-01-2008, 10:37 PM
I work for a large freight company and I haven't heard anything about a strike, but then again our drivers don't pay for the fuel. This may be isolated to smaller companies. Most large companies charge a fuel surcharge that goes up and down as fuel prices increase or decrease. Larger companies can't afford to take the risk of losing customers by striking. Freight compnies,both large and small, are every where. If one strikes, their customers will find someone else thats not. This will have to be an all or none kinda deal in my opinon.

bulkdriverlp
04-01-2008, 10:44 PM
the strike has been all over the news. they showed trucks in jersey parked in the streets, blocking flow of traffic. lol

bulkdriverlp
04-01-2008, 10:47 PM
take a look

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4TSHA_en___US254&q=truck+driver+strike+april+3

MXQUAD294
04-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Interesting stuff!!! From what I read, it was the independent truckers/owner-operators that were striking/threatening to strike. It also sounds like they kinda made @$$es of themselves by blocking or slowing traffic of the people that buy the goods their hauling. This guys comments sum it up:
“Jim Johnston, president of Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association, warned that a strike ‘is not the answer,’ saying, ‘Calling for a strike without the support of the majority would show weakness rather than strength, and the result would be increased economic hardship to the small percentage of truckers who do participate in the shutdown with no gains to justify their sacrifice’.”
"But the truckers have their complaints. Besides the fuel costs, the credit crunch is putting pressure on insurance companies to increase their premiums. Bad credit makes a trucker a higher risk for insurers.
While I am sympathetic, I like America’s system of paying for the roads with fuel taxes. A truck strike was tried a few times in the 1970s to poor results. It will be interesting to see if in this time of cable news networks and their 24-hour hole if striking truckers works this time around."

TRXNICK
04-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Hey guys, I'm an owner operator and have been since I've started trucking over 15 years ago. I have a new Peterbilt with a Cat engine that is suppose to be more effecient than the last Cat motor I had in my 03 Pete. What a croc of s**t. This truck gets an average of 4.25 to 4.75 miles to the gallon. Where my old Cat motor got 5.3 to 5.8. Doesn't sound like a big differance, but add it up for over 120,000 miles a year and it is huge. With the fuel prices the way they are rite now I don't know how much longer I can survive. I have started doing everything I can to save money. I have extended my oil changes, I sleep in the truck 5 to 4 nites a week and I don't idle unless it absolutly neccesary and a hole bunch of other things I've done to lower my fuel costs. To give you an idea, I average about $3200 a week. I have to automatically subtract at least half if not more from that for fuel for the next week. Then all my other deductions for the week. My truck and insurance payment a month is $2300 a month. It doesn't leave me with much at the end of the month. I have never been this bad off and don't see an end to it anytime soon. I'am just glad that I work for a great company that gives us a good fuel surcharge. Even tho the fuel surcharge is not keeping up with the rising cost of fuel. It still helps. But pretty soon the shippers and customers are not going to want to pay the surcharge becuse it is cutting into there bottom line. When that happens we are all out of business. I WILL GLADLY STRIKE, but it is not going to do us any good if only a small hand full of drivers do it. We neeed to do it as a hole industry wide shut down and we need a spokes person who can talk to the government for us. That is the only way it is going to work. Just my 2cents worth.

laeger2fiddyr
04-02-2008, 05:59 AM
i think they r gonna have to strike for awhile and not just a day or so cuz that wont do shiz!

trx400EXtreme
04-02-2008, 03:15 PM
all i can hope for is a little bit of a decrease.:grr: if prices don't go down our trip to the dune sat the end of this month might be cancled.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: it would end up costing us like 6-700 bucks in gas.:( :grr: :mad: