PDA

View Full Version : topend rebuild need help from smart people

400exrider_88
04-01-2008, 08:50 PM
looking for a new head for my 01. the old one has good valves, but the valve cover holes a stripped and cam lobes are wore excessivly. dont know what to do, do stage 2 hotcams do much? i can get one cheaper than stock, and really, i want this to last a long time and not have to fix it again, so i need some help.

2muchquad
04-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Try retapping the bolt holes instead of getting a new head.If your cam lobes are worn then chances are so are your rockers.Try and go with a matching set or new stuff if your finances allow.Its not a good idea to mix and match new with old worn out components.If you take your time and properly assemble everything and stay up on your oil changes and valve adjustments,it can last a long time.;)

400exrider_88
04-02-2008, 07:43 AM
should i use the same valve cover? and replace the worn rocker, or replace all the rockers? what can i do about the worn cam lobes? im leaning towards a new head, use the same valves and valve cover, and new rocker arms

maxfior
04-02-2008, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider_88
should i use the same valve cover? and replace the worn rocker, or replace all the rockers? what can i do about the worn cam lobes? im leaning towards a new head, use the same valves and valve cover, and new rocker arms

I think the first thing you should so is establish a budget and try to stick with it. When I had to rebuild an XR250R with whiped out valve train I replced everything. Rockers, cam, valve springs, seals, etc. Like it was said before, see if you can clean up the threads with a tap, or you might be able to just drill and tap the next size. Or, just replace the cover if budget allows. IMO, it's better to go with all new, that way you won't question things as you're ripping down the trail... ;)

Max

TRXRacer1
04-02-2008, 04:08 PM
You can use some heli-coils and repair the threads in the head. When done correctly they are better then stock. Re-use the valve cover too and just replace the rockers if you need new ones. I can't see a reason to toss the head or cover. Lastly a stage 1 hotcam will be similar to a stock power curve just more of it. The stage 2 is even more good stuff. Any hotcam is pretty reliable.

BlasterEaten250
04-02-2008, 04:29 PM
How exactly does heli-coil work?

TRXRacer1
04-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by BlasterEaten250
How exactly does heli-coil work? Time for a video!

http://www.helicoil.com/media/win/helicoil.wmv

BlasterEaten250
04-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
Time for a video!

http://www.helicoil.com/media/win/helicoil.wmv Thanks:)