PDA

View Full Version : clinking noise

big400boy
04-01-2008, 06:05 PM
when i run my 400ex i hear a relatively quiet clinking noise in the engine. i cant tell weather or not it in the top or bottom because i have the engine off right now so i cant run it.btu what iv herd is that it is the timing chain tensioner, valves need adjustment or the rocker arms are worn out. is there anyhting that could make this noise in the bottom end? and does by chance anyone have a picture of that the top end timimg chain tensioner should look like or what a worn out one looks like? thanks and any help is appreciated.

400exrider_88
04-01-2008, 08:56 PM
i bet u its in the topend, mine had a tick noise, could be just a valve adjustment, without adjusting it, or replaceing a worn rocker, it might cause other stuff to go wrong, and u dont want to have to buy a new head. take it to a dealer, just have them look at it, and see what it is. make sure u put in new gaskets when u put it together again

400exrider_88
04-01-2008, 08:56 PM
i bet u its in the topend, mine had a tick noise, could be just a valve adjustment, without adjusting it, or replaceing a worn rocker, it might cause other stuff to go wrong, and u dont want to have to buy a new head. take it to a dealer, just have them look at it, and see what it is. make sure u put in new gaskets when u put it together again

2muchquad
04-01-2008, 09:46 PM
It would be impossible to tell without actually taking it apart.It could be cam chain slap from a worn timing chain or valves could need adjusted.Try taking a wooden dowel about a foot long or so and have the engine idling and try putting the dowel to your ear to where you think the noise is coming from,this may lead to the culprit.;) All rocker arm equipped engines from any brand have some mechanical clatter,theres just too many moving parts to be Rolls Royce quiet:D