PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Raptor 660 Carb question

blacknblue#2
04-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Ok i have a buddies 2002 660 in my shop right now. It set all winter with the fuel drained until 2 days ago, He got it out, filled up and got it running. He brought it to me because it idles good but when you give it fuel it has a real bad miss and sputter. It sounds like the old 300EX's do when they are in reverse. I told him it about has to be a carb problem. But what?? I just wonder if the choke aint stuck. These carbs are new to me being ive always delt with single keihin carbs......But anyways i see it has butterflys close to the head that operate off the throttle. but each carb has like a flat slide that runs down through them and we cant get these to stay open?????? Any help would be greatly appreciated guys cause i know nothing about workin on these style of carbs??

MadDog56
04-01-2008, 11:35 PM
First and foremost, check the adjustment of the parking brake. Then when you're sure it's working fine then check the little plug by the shift lever and make sure it has a good connection.

If the bike revs fine in neutral that you are most likely experiencing the parking brake/reverse rev limiter. It's designed to kick in when the parking brake is on or when the atv is in reverse.

If none of that is the problem the next step is to check the fitment of the carb boots to the carbs and head as it's not uncommon for them to dislodge. Next step is digging into the carbs themselves, where a faulty diaphram seal or stuck float bowl are your primary offenders.