PDA

View Full Version : questions about handlebars

oleboy87
04-01-2008, 05:51 PM
im looking into getting some new bars because i ride alot of trails standing up and the stock bars jsut seem uncomfortable because im constantly hunched over the bike. Im looking into some pro tapers se, atv high bend. I was told that the stock bars height was 142mm someone please correct me if im wrong but if so then the numbers come out to 5.5 inches on the stock bars and the atv high bend is 6.2 inches! My question is do you think that will be enough height or too tall? anyone with some pictures that would be great! oh yea and the atv high bend is 160mm

04-01-2008, 06:07 PM
i would like to find out more because me being 6'1" and growing i feel hunched over the bars when standing

oleboy87
04-01-2008, 06:09 PM
atv high bend is the highest i could find but i need someone to back me up on if thats the correct stock height..

Jnblaster05
04-01-2008, 06:11 PM
i got a plus one steering stem and i love it it made it more like riding a harley if you know what i mean but im only 5 10 so maybe a +2 would be sweet for you.

oleboy87
04-01-2008, 06:21 PM
im 5'10" also.. do you think that the one inch was enough to suit you!

Jnblaster05
04-01-2008, 06:22 PM
yeah it sounds like not a lot,1inch but man its quite a bit i love it never tryed a 2 though either but would highly recommend

oleboy87
04-01-2008, 06:25 PM
so you recoment jsut the 1 inch?

tmccaughin
04-01-2008, 09:21 PM
im 6'1 and i have +2 stem with cr high dirtbike bars and i dont hunch over when riding

Jnblaster05
04-02-2008, 04:58 AM
yeah i would

Honda#4
04-02-2008, 06:04 AM
I got a +1 stem with stock bars and Roll pegs that give a + in height also and I dont have to hunch at all and im 5' 10"

oleboy87
04-02-2008, 03:24 PM
does anyone out there know the height of the stock bars?

CarGuy7a
04-02-2008, 07:30 PM
i have the pro taper atv hi bends and i'm 6'1" as well and they're pretty comfortable for me. i also have the stock stem on mine.

the only problem i ran into was the brake line being put in a bind when i turned them all the way right. what i did was make a bracket extension and straighten out a little bit of the steel line that runs along the frame and it works great.

they also eliminated the bars from hitting me in the legs when you go lock to lock.

04-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Hey I have some pretty much brand new atv high bend pro taper bars if you are interested.

07-16-2008, 05:46 PM
bringing this thread back up for a reason, the time has come for me to get higher bars because it hurts to ride while standing and my rear end is sore from trying to sit as much as a could thorugh the trails lol Have we ever gotten confirmation that the stock bars are 142mm (5.6") I know the ProTaper S.E. ATV high are 160mm (6.3"). What about pullback/sweep stuff like that? Also I heard you can use 2006 450r pegs and they are 1/8" lower as well as being wider and longer. I would jut like to know all my facts because its hard to stand up when riding since i'm leaning over the front of the quad and my back is hunched and my neck is bent back to look foward. I'm in the ned for wider and longer pegs but are they infact 1/8th" lower? Every bit helps.

07-16-2008, 06:51 PM
pro taper also makes a "universal bar mount kit" it says it adds "3/4" to rise of bar" so a combination of Pro Taper ATV high, the 3/4" riser, and then 450r pegs that are 1/8" lower that come out to 182mm or 7.1". If the stock bars are infact 142mm (5.6") then you gain 40mm or just over an inch and a half over stock. Does nayone know the sweep or pull back of the stock bars though? That would greatly help me too because I want my bars slightly pulled back more.

Rkangel7
07-16-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm fairly new to atv's, so take this with a grain of salt. From what I've been able to gather the stock bars are approx 5.6 inches high with a pull back of 3.3 to 3.5 inches depending on who I asked. I recently picked up a set of ProTaper SE bars in the ATV mid bend. They were listed at 5.9 inches high with a pull back of 3.0 inches. Installed they are slightly wider (maybe 1/4" total). They have trim marks if you want to narrow them. I didn't. The height seems pretty darn similar to stock but the profile of the bend is different and for me the ProTapers have a more comfortable pull back. I'm 6'5" and don't really feel that I'm leaning way over the bars when standing, but I run them slightly forward of the "0" mark on the bars, which makes them sit a touch higher. On my '99 even with the mid bend this puts the brake and clutch cables right at their limit when I go lock to lock. It would seem to me that some cable re-routing would be required if you went with the ATV high bend. But that's just my experience. So far I like the ProTaper mid bend.

07-16-2008, 09:35 PM
i really dont know how your 6'5" and your not leaning over the front with bars only .3" higher, i'm 6'2" still growing some and I hate my stock bars right about now. Good info though to know, thanks. I have way longer brake lines so that isnt a problem but the clutch and throttle I dont know how much they have before they are maxed out bars turned and all. I have heard of others running the ATV high and they stock cables were at about their limit. What do people with +2 steering stems do because thats where I want to be, 1.5" higher.

Rkangel7
07-17-2008, 12:29 AM
I'm sure I lean a bit. But, I've never really given it a lot of thought. I'm new enough to riding quads that I may not know any better. And they say ignorance is bliss...Either that or I'm used to slouching. Mom always told me to stand up straight. :)

I read of others using high bend with the stock cables as well. I don't know how they do it either, unless their bars are cut narrower to make up the slack. I had thought of atv highs as well, but got an awesome deal on the mids.

I'm just a recreational rider and by no means an expert. I may find after couple months, and a few chiropractor visits, that I should have gone with the high bars...

07-17-2008, 11:14 AM
just cut some holes in a 2x4 which is after processed and dried 1-1/2" x 3-1/2". So I put my stock handle bars and mounts on top of the piece of wood which would be the same as the Pro Taper S.E. ATV high and their +3/4" bar mount and the cables fit. Stock brake lines i'm not sure for those that have them because I have steel braided which are much longer. Heres some pictures of how the cables fit, they could have actually gone a little higher.

07-17-2008, 11:41 AM
NEW NEWS: just got off the phone with pro taper asking some questions and finding some info. The universal bar mount kit which adds 3/4" is just another mount that cradles in the existing mount but it is for 1-1/8th bars and its $39.99. So now i'm back on the search to find a way to get taller bars. I was looking at Rox risers but they are so expensive.

NacsMXer
07-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
NEW NEWS: just got off the phone with pro taper asking some questions and finding some info. The universal bar mount kit which adds 3/4" is just another mount that cradles in the existing mount but it is for 1-1/8th bars and its $39.99. So now i'm back on the search to find a way to get taller bars. I was looking at Rox risers but they are so expensive.

If I were you I would get some tapered CR Double High bend bars along with the universal adapter clamp (+3/4 inches). That should be plenty high for you. I personally wouldn't mess around with the ATV High bends...they have the height, but too much pullback like the stock handlebars do, which is not good for aggressive riding. A taller, straighter bar like the CR Double High's will be a lot more suiting IMO. If that's still not enough for you, which I doubt, go ahead and get some Rox Risers for an extra 2 inches of height ;)

07-17-2008, 12:42 PM
wouldnt more pull back be more comfortable and easier to stand up without leaning a lot? Stock bars are fine when i'm sitting but through the trails and off jumps I feel like I have to lean too much. Maybe i just need the nice V3 helmets that are only 2.9lbs so my neck isnt as sore but that doesnt help my back from hunching over. Its just those really long rides or continuous riding I feel like just stopping and not riding anymore but riding is too much fun to stop. Heres a picture of me knees slighty bent and arms basically fully extended. When i'm riding real fast like 3rd and 4th over whoops through the trails I feel fine more than likely because my knees are bent and i'm closer to the seat hovering keeping a low center and weight back so I dont end up bucking off my quad if I hit something huge. Its when i'm more of cruising over the whoops and stuff not racing I stand more straight and relaxed but it hurts to ride being so hunched over.

NacsMXer
07-17-2008, 03:52 PM
wouldnt more pull back be more comfortable and easier to stand up without leaning a lot? Stock bars are fine when i'm sitting but through the trails and off jumps I feel like I have to lean too much. Maybe i just need the nice V3 helmets that are only 2.9lbs so my neck isnt as sore but that doesnt help my back from hunching over. Its just those really long rides or continuous riding I feel like just stopping and not riding anymore but riding is too much fun to stop. Heres a picture of me knees slighty bent and arms basically fully extended. When i'm riding real fast like 3rd and 4th over whoops through the trails I feel fine more than likely because my knees are bent and i'm closer to the seat hovering keeping a low center and weight back so I dont end up bucking off my quad if I hit something huge. Its when i'm more of cruising over the whoops and stuff not racing I stand more straight and relaxed but it hurts to ride being so hunched over.

You do look pretty hunched over in that pic. I'm like 5'7" and run Mini High bend (almost as tall as the CR Double High just not as wide) tapered bars with the adapter clamps and I can pretty much stand straight up and down while holding the bars. Of course that's not the best riding position, lol, but taller bars help out a ton. I think the adapter clamps plus the CR Double High's would be good for you since you're a little taller than I am, there's not a lot of bends out there that are taller than that. Like I said, anything beyond that combination and you should look into the Rox Risers or an extended stem.

As far as pullback/sweep, you definitely want less. A straighter bar is much easier on you standing up than one with a lot of pullback, not to mention you get better control of the quad as well. Ever rode a utility quad standing up? They have a lot of pullback for more comfort in the sitting position, but it's not very compatible with aggressive stand-up riding.

Gatekeeper
07-17-2008, 04:02 PM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh146/pittpiledriver/277327809_938864027_0.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh146/pittpiledriver/277121226_938124093_0.jpg
RC high fatbar with rox 2" pivoting riser ($75)
This combo put me only around 1" higher, but the bars have almost 2" less pullback.
Im 6'4". It has made a world of difference in my riding comfort.
Having the bars farther in front of you (being tall = long arms), Means when I stand my hands aren't directly below me as in Foxhondariders pic. More pullback would put hands farther under you. Less pullback means they are extended out away from my knees making for a very comfortable standing position.
They are also much more comfortable 4 me because my hands are straighter in a more natural position instead of bent like this / \

The pivoting risers allow you to adjust bars forward or back to suit you, + steering stems will move the bars closer toward your body and can make cramped conditions worse.
My .02

NacsMXer
07-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh146/pittpiledriver/277327809_938864027_0.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh146/pittpiledriver/277121226_938124093_0.jpg
RC high fatbar with rox 2" pivoting riser ($75)
This combo put me only around 1" higher, but the bars have almost 2" less pullback.
Im 6'4". It has made a world of difference in my riding comfort.
Having the bars farther in front of you (being tall = long arms), Means when I stand my hands aren't directly below me as in Foxhondariders pic. More pullback would put hands farther under you. Less pullback means they are extended out away from my knees making for a very comfortable standing position.
They are also much more comfortable 4 me because my hands are straighter in a more natural position instead of bent like this / \

The pivoting risers allow you to adjust bars forward or back to suit you, + steering stems will move the bars closer toward your body and can make cramped conditions worse.
My .02

Yeah that's kinda what I wanted to say about the pullback thing. You have less control over the quad with more pullback because you're in that much more of a cramped riding position. The Rox Risers are definitely nice because you can run whatever bend you want; most of the height and adjustability is already taken care of :cool:

07-17-2008, 04:28 PM
yeah, I understand now about the pullback and I deffinately want less. I didnt really want to spend a fortune on a bar setup but after looking awhile and calling a few people it seems risers or a nice 1-1/8" bar witht he adapters that go on top of the stock mounts adding 2/3 - 3/4" of height. I was looking at the Tag T2 but I couldnt find a sheet that said what bends they come in. The risers you said was $75 thats all I wanted to spend in total lol but I rather do it right and pay more than saying I wish I would have done this instead. So the Rox riser adds 2"? If so its worth it because most 1-1/8" bars are lower for some reason. What is the added benefit of a 1-1/8th vs 7/8th?

NacsMXer
07-17-2008, 04:44 PM
yeah, I understand now about the pullback and I deffinately want less. I didnt really want to spend a fortune on a bar setup but after looking awhile and calling a few people it seems risers or a nice 1-1/8" bar witht he adapters that go on top of the stock mounts adding 2/3 - 3/4" of height. I was looking at the Tag T2 but I couldnt find a sheet that said what bends they come in. The risers you said was $75 thats all I wanted to spend in total lol but I rather do it right and pay more than saying I wish I would have done this instead. So the Rox riser adds 2"? If so its worth it because most 1-1/8" bars are lower for some reason. What is the added benefit of a 1-1/8th vs 7/8th?

It's not that the 1 1/8" bars are lower...the bends are the same. CR High is the same whether it's 7/8" standard or 1 1/8" tapered; different manufacturers will differ slightly.

The benefit of the 1 1/8" tapered bars, which I highly recommend, is strength and flex. They are far, far stronger than standard 7/8" bars and due to the lack of the crossbar that the 7/8" bars have, have a lot more "give" to them on hard impacts. The crossbar would normally prevent downward flex making the bars much more rigid; i've ridden with both and standard 7/8" Renthals are a lot more harsh on you than tapered bars. They almost work like Flexx bars in that sense, I can "flex" my bars just putting my body weight on them. That's what absorbs hard impacts.

Tag had a good bar chart on their website but it's been down for a long time. I found this Tag chart on google if it will help:
http://www.motoworldracing.com/media/Tag/tag-X5Bars.jpg

The lowest pivoting Rox Riser is the 2" model. They go even higher than that, but that's more geared towards snowmobile riders.

07-17-2008, 05:06 PM
well i was saying the 1-1/8th are lower because I havent seen that thinkness bar anywhere near 140mm but a 2" riser would make up for a lot and it would give me a better choice with handle bars. What does everyone do for longer cables though? Brake lines i'm fine but clutch and throttle whats everyone doing?

07-17-2008, 06:00 PM
NEW atv Elite Pivoting Risers 2"x7/8"x 7/8" and/or 1-1/8"
These Risers allow you to clamp a stock 7/8" diameter handlebar or you can remove the 7/8" reducers and then clamp an 1-1/8" aluminum "fatbar". If you are thinking of going to a fatbar after you bend your stock set this is the riser to go with. Reducers lock into risers to insure no slippage between components, as well they have serrated teeth in them for maximum gripping power on handlebar.

$79.95

So I just bolt these into the stock 7/8th clamps? and then I guess I can use either type of bar because these have an adapter.

NacsMXer
07-17-2008, 08:56 PM
NEW atv Elite Pivoting Risers 2"x7/8"x 7/8" and/or 1-1/8"
These Risers allow you to clamp a stock 7/8" diameter handlebar or you can remove the 7/8" reducers and then clamp an 1-1/8" aluminum "fatbar". If you are thinking of going to a fatbar after you bend your stock set this is the riser to go with. Reducers lock into risers to insure no slippage between components, as well they have serrated teeth in them for maximum gripping power on handlebar.

$79.95

So I just bolt these into the stock 7/8th clamps? and then I guess I can use either type of bar because these have an adapter.

The first number, 7/8" is the measurement of the riser where it mounts to the clamp on the stem (in this case it bolts to the stock 7/8" handlebar clamp). The second number is the size at the top of the riser where the bar mounts. That's pretty cool if they come with adapters for both sizes of handlebars :cool:

Gatekeeper
07-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Here's the chart I used to select my bars
Handlebar Info (http://www.rockymountainatv.com/handlebarinfo.do;jsessionid=3663E919A36473649D8579 FF1354E4F7.westring1)
My setup Before/After
ATV Honda/Suzuki/Kawaszki Bend (Renthal 7/8" stock) 31.10"W-- 5.59"H-- 3.54"Pull
Carmichael High Bend (Renthal Fatbar)--------------- 31.57"W-- 4.49"H-- 2.13"Pull
+2" Rox riser= 6.49" Total Rise (gain of +.90) Doesn't seem like much but this along with less pullback has been a huge improvement. The fatbars also do seem to flex & absorb alot of vibration. Definetly recommend.

07-17-2008, 10:30 PM
i'm thinking Rox 2" riser Pro Taper contour ATV high 4.75" high so 6.75" total so just over a 1 inch rise and a lot less pull back

07-17-2008, 10:35 PM
i'm thinking black bars and eventually red ASV levers

Gatekeeper
07-17-2008, 10:40 PM
i'm thinking Rox 2" riser Pro Taper contour ATV high 4.75" high so 6.75" total so just over a 1 inch rise and a lot less pull back
Sweet. Thats the combo I was looking at myself before I got a deal on my RC fatbar

07-17-2008, 11:02 PM
so $80 for the risers and probally $70 for the bars. When I get the money $131 for ASV levers. I cant wait to try this and I hope it works out well and is what i'm looking for. How are adjusting the risers? It looks like just foward and back for what? more or less pullback?

Gatekeeper
07-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Yep. pivot front to back. Just loosen the allen bolts on the clamp slightly and adjust to a comfortable position then tighten.
You can also adjust the bars where ya want em, forward and back.

07-17-2008, 11:36 PM
well Quad rated it 5 stars out of 5 and there wasnt any cons that they have found yet. So it seems like te way to go

blaaze416
07-18-2008, 06:22 AM
This is why I love this sIte. Good, helpfull knowledge all over the place! Now I want some new bars, too! And when i start looking around, i'm coming back to this thread.

Gatekeeper
07-18-2008, 04:15 PM
FYI the Rox risers are very stable and high quality. I weigh around 275 lbs and have come down hard on the bars several times, including hitting a stump hard enough to bend front rim and almost break my wrist, the bars/riser have never moved from the position I originally set them at.

07-18-2008, 04:54 PM
good to know they are strong. A lot cheaper than a +2 steering stem and you say they are strong even if they werent I rather replace risers for $75-80 than a +2 stem for $350. Adjustable pull back seems real nice too. I cant wait to order these and some contours :)