PDA

View Full Version : swingarm/carrier loose

ifixtheyride
04-01-2008, 04:37 PM
I know I have read in these forums about the piss poor design of the 400 swingarm and chain tensioner but here is my problem anyone else have this? I have broken one of the tighteners and repaired it last year but now I tighten the 4 bolts that trap the carrier and the sun of gun still slides on me. I have tightened in correct sequence and above torque spec and then snug the 2 tensioners and after just small ride the chain is loose and when I look the whole thing shifts like the left side goes forward and the right back. I did notice the slots that the bolts slide in have worn a little oblong and thats where it tends to shift no matter how tight. I just can't see spending 600 to 1000 bucks on after market maybe if I was serious racer but not a weekend warrior. Any ideas? I thought about removing the carrier and scuffing up th surface to make it kind of grab.

Thanks

maxitout77
04-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Scuff/grind some grooves for some grip, also double nut the tensioner bolts on the back.

I've had my share of issues, my latest including a carrier that shattered in the swingarm.

ifixtheyride
04-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks, How the heck do you shatter a carrier? One of my problems is when I replaced the stud in carrier I drilled it out and installed Heli Coil thread repair and it keeps pulling out. Now my carrier bearings I just replaced last year are showing wear.

Later,
Bill

maxitout77
04-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Your guess is as good as mine, I dont jump big or do anything special. The rearend was a bit loose, so I figured a bearing job was in order. took the bolts out of the carrier and it fell apart, the pressure was the only thing holding it together...