PDA

View Full Version : ur opinion on project "relocation"

crashinmatt
11-23-2002, 04:40 PM
yes, i named it. but what do u guys think of this. i checked all clearances and nothing was gonna hit. i was gonna weld it together, but we ran out of gas for our mig welder. so, i just bolted it together. it seems very sturdy.

crashinmatt
11-23-2002, 04:42 PM
another view

crashinmatt
11-23-2002, 04:43 PM
this is a pic of how i mounted the selenoid.

eldoexrider01
11-23-2002, 05:27 PM
nice!!!! i like that idea, tell us how it holds up.

crashinmatt
11-23-2002, 08:15 PM
thanks, i havent rode it yet. i just wanted to post it here and see what u guys thought about it. im still gonna get some rubber and put around it to help protect it. i really hope it holds up.

Sparks425Ex
11-23-2002, 09:57 PM
Looks great. But only one Complant:

Have you tipped it up on the grab bar yet to see if the battery is anywhere close to hitting. If it is then it is a bad idea. To me it seems it will hit if you go back. And even if you don;t hit the grab bar it can still smash on a rock.

crashinmatt
11-24-2002, 08:19 AM
to answer ur complaint nacs425ex, i did tip it on the grab bar, and i have about 6 inches clearance. im comfortable with that. im sure there r things that can go wrong and things can hit it, but that is something that may or may not ever happen. the whole thing doesnt even move when i grab onto it and shake it. so, i feel it should be fine. time will only tell.

400exRacerX
11-24-2002, 09:57 AM
Thats a good idea but if you get rear ended while out on the track or the trails your basically screwed.

Sparks425Ex
11-24-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by 400exRacerX
Thats a good idea but if you get rear ended while out on the track or the trails your basically screwed.

Good Point Norm. I never thought of that. If you are racing or just riding with friends what happens when you get smacked in the grabbar. The bumper goes right under teh grab bar and there goes your Start Juice.

Just another idea.

crashinmatt
11-24-2002, 11:34 AM

ive thought about this also. i usually have a number plate on the back, and ive been hit in the rear before, and my number plate(i know it isnt as important as a battery) has never shown signs of any impact. plus the tabs that hold the rear light when all stock, have never been bent, and they almost stick down as far as the box does. but, i know things can happen, and i took that into concideration. i may still add some reinforcing to it just to be safer. thanks for the replies and the problems u thought of.

400exRacerX
11-24-2002, 03:46 PM
I got rear ended so hard once on the track that the guy bent my tail light tabs and snapped then off, tweeked my subframe and from the tweeked subframe it snapped the rivits on my lrd silencer. The guy ended up flipping his quad in result.

11-24-2002, 03:50 PM
your not really screw if ur battery dies? you lazy guys ever heard of push starting it, so therefore ur not basically screwed

400exRacerX
11-24-2002, 04:15 PM
OH OK Mr. smartie pants has arrived. Did you know that if you battery gets hit and cracks the casings or disconnects from the bike, negative or positive gets discnnected, etc.... Your bike will not start NO MATTER WHAT. The only way you can jump start it is if the battery is dead but it is fully intact and connected.

bigbadbrad
11-24-2002, 04:36 PM
OH OK Mr. smartie pants has arrived. Did you know that if you battery gets hit and cracks the casings or disconnects from the bike, negative or positive gets discnnected, etc.... Your bike will not start NO MATTER WHAT. The only way you can jump start it is if the battery is dead but it is fully intact and connected.

your wrong i have bump or as u called it push sterted my 300ex a few times with no batery connected. the lights just wont be bright. and when the gound on my dads trx 300 4x4 went bad we took out the battery and kick started it with no battery and the lights just did not work good so YOUR WRONG 400EXRACERX

crashinmatt
11-24-2002, 07:47 PM
well, i understand that things happen sometimes. ive been rear ended but never so hard as to hurt anything. if i get hit hard enough, im not sure id be able to keep going, even if my quad started and ran. so, im gonna see how things go.

jello
11-25-2002, 10:20 AM
you could move it to the front of the quad?

Extremeracer167
11-25-2002, 12:34 PM
how are u going to take your seat off. It looks like its in front of the lever the u move to dtach your seat? Ide also take your shock off completely let it sit down, and see what it will hit. Tape measures and rulers dont always tell the truth when it comes to suspension travel on you rbike

crashinmatt
11-25-2002, 05:44 PM
extremeracer167, i have an aftermarket seat latch. so that isnt a problem, and i used a ratchet tie down and i compressed the shock all the way with it and i had over 2 and a half inches from anything.

jello i thought about that too, but i couldnt find any place that i would fit real good, except one and i dont know how easy things would fit there. but i may still try it. im not mounting it permenetly yet. im just gonna try this out ridin kinda easy, and see how things go. i may try to mount it up front yet. im not sure.

airheadedduner
11-26-2002, 02:13 AM
i used a ratchet tie down and i compressed the shock all the way with
it and i had over 2 and a half inches from anything.

Are you sure????? I checked my clerence when I built an air box for my R and it still hit and broke. I broke the taillight lens with my sproket on one hard hit. Not doubting your fabbing skills but you can never be too carefull. Looks good:D

crashinmatt
11-26-2002, 06:58 AM
yes im sure. but i do realize that when ur jumpin and if u bottom out, there may be even less clearance, just beuz when ur puttin that much pressure on something theres always that chance for things to move a little farther than when just manually compressing. im gonna try things out and still look for other options. if worst comes to worst, ill just move it back to the stock location.