PDA

View Full Version : do headers make a difference?

DIRTRIDER22
04-01-2008, 03:50 PM
I've been hearing form alot of people that aftermarket headers really dont give much horsepower? It makes since but was wondeing if anyone could add to this?

dondiesel444
04-01-2008, 04:03 PM
they say if you have a big bore kit you should have a larger head pipe, but with a stock motor the stock head pipe is fine. that being said I have a stock motor but a full White Bros. system:D

DementeD
04-01-2008, 04:13 PM
addin to that:

my opinion is this ..i dont have any dyno's to back me but just how i would figure this to be

having a header with a stock motor will benefit over the stock header..however it may only be a very small benefit OR a different hp/tq curve
max hp isnt the most important thing...havin the same hp with a better hp/tq curve will overall give u a faster/more responsive quad

now when it comes to a good amount of motor work the aftermarket header should really come alive and increase that max hp and improve the hp/tq curver more significant over a stock header

is it worth it? that depends on you imo...do u have the extra cash? do u really need the better performance? if u want/need it..or dont really have anything else to through ur money away on ..get it

if not then hold off til the time u do need/want it..

TRXRacer1
04-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by DementeD
max hp isnt the most important thing...havin the same hp with a better hp/tq curve will overall give u a faster/more responsive quadThat's one reason I run the stock header, it keeps the power a little closer to where I like it.

DementeD
04-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
That's one reason I run the stock header, it keeps the power a little closer to where I like it.

like mentioned im not positive how the headers react but was givin my "educated" guess on what it should do..
however if ur power curve is best with stock header then awesome leave it obviously..

another thing to add is not all engines react the same to the "same" mods..

this moreless is comin from just experience with honda cars that was into for a while.. just lettin u know im no expert with quads and i want to stress that so u dont take everything i say as fact :D

krt400ex
04-02-2008, 01:45 PM
headers do help. you dont really need larger headers with a stock engine, but different length headers will change the power profile. a longer header will give you a more torquey bottom end, while a shorter header will give you a smoother powerband that is more focused to the top end.

i got yosh headers on mine, which are much larger in diameter, but they are also a bit longer. i never tested it vs a slip on, but i got most of my extra power out of the midrange wit the pipe; it has more everywhere, but mostly in the middle.