PDA

View Full Version : heres a good one for you guys! Try to understand this one..

tom416ex
04-01-2008, 03:40 PM
okay here we go..... Took the rear end apart on my 400ex to replace the carrier bearings.... Replaced them because the rear end would move and shift if i played with it.. New bearings went in, put everything back together. The axle no longer moves or piviots, but now the sprocket in the rear is whobbiling, and it makes the rear rotor do the same but not as bad! The axle isnt bent, the axle doesnt seem to move like the sprocket and rear rotor does...... Could this be the sprocket is so beat that it needs to be replaced?? Im thinking yes! It prob did it before, but didnt see it b/c the bearings were gone and axle moved along with bent sprocket. I rode it on sunday down the road real quick and didnt feel any jumping or a bumpy ride! Help me guys, what do you all think???!??!?!?!

pudamac12
04-01-2008, 06:07 PM
first of all is it a stock axle? Is it possible that the sprocket hub is loose on the axle and that could be causing the problem?

tom416ex
04-01-2008, 08:20 PM
no it isnt a stock axle, its a +2 rad axle with rad carrier. yeah im beginning to think its the sprocket. i looked at it more today and it kinda looks like the sprocket is warped a bit. so im hoping this is the problem. i ordered a new one, if thats not the problem then im kinda lost here. hahaha

400exrider707
04-01-2008, 08:27 PM
usually when you take a hit in the back end of the quad, the sprocket and rotor get the blunt force of the impact... probably just bent.

bryishre
04-01-2008, 10:04 PM
change your sprocket while your at it you might want to get it all sprockets and chains so it will all wear even

qracer 377
04-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Check and see that the bearings you put in are the same size as the ones you took out. The reason i ask i almost made this mistake : same problem on my sons 300 ex (as you) went to the oem store to purchase replacements. Took them home removed them and saw that the new bearings were a lot thinner than my old ones . Went back, found out that i needed lone star (almost doulble wide as oem) replacments. So what could be happening to you is the spocket and rotar hubs are not fully seated against the inner race of the bearing, and the lock nut for the axle cannot make up the distance from the bearing being thinner. Your axle is tight because the bearing you have in there are new. I dont know if this your problem but i just wanted to share this experiance with you guys. just begin by checking the easy things first, like lock nut , hubs and axle not worn on teeth. hope this helps good luck....

tom416ex
04-04-2008, 10:43 AM
yeah i know its not the bearings, i bought the same exact ones that were in there. they are the dual rolled because i have an aftermarket carrier and swingarm. Its def. the sprocket. looked at it and noticed it is curved to the right. its all warped
just going to replace the sprocket and rotor and it should be good. thanks for the comments

tom416ex
04-06-2008, 10:08 AM
still having the same problem. put new sprocket on the rear and it is still doing it. the only thing i can think of is thatwhen we put the axle back in it didnt go in straight. It still wobbles pretty good. I just dont understand. Thought it was the sprocket,but now that i look at it better, it looks like the whole rear is doing it. Like i said, thinking the axle isnt back in totally straight???? Theres no way the axle is bent because i havent ridden it since the new bearings went in. It wouldnt be because all the grease hasnt moved around and spread out evenly right? I need some advice here guys. Im all pissed off, just want to ride it but i cant, dont wanna ruin anything else. Let me know what you guys think... Any advice would be great.
thanks

tom416ex
04-06-2008, 05:51 PM
if i have it off the ground and put it into 1st and let the gear ride with the tires spinning, its almost like something is getting hung up somewhere, it spins, then hits a point where it kinda hesitates on spinning, but then gets past that point and keeps spinning again. Like i said, it seems like something is getting hung up, weither the axles carrier isnt set back in the correct way, or the axle isnt totally in 100%. I just dont know..