PDA

View Full Version : Running lean?

96300ex
11-05-2001, 07:44 PM
I just got my 300ex an hour ago from a dealer. It was used. I think it's running a bit lean because it seems to lug before it picks up when i shift gears. Do the dealers purposely set them lean so they don't smoke at all? I don't have an owners manual yet, how would I ajust my carb? Thanks y'all

96300ex
11-05-2001, 08:27 PM
Just so ya'll don't think I'm an idiot, I can ajust a carberator... What i'm asking is more on how to get to it easiest and where it's at. I don't have time to mess with it until tommarow afternoon so I figured I'd ask someone who's done it on an ex before I turn a 5 minute task into an hour long ordeal. I want her ajusted just right when I kick my stepbro's butt on his blaster. I'd spare him the humiliation but he insists that he can whoop me. We'll just see about that...:D

Leo
11-05-2001, 08:36 PM
if you just got it, and it's not running right, I'd bring it back...

what mods does it have..?
what is the jetting now..? (main jet size, needle clip position, etc..?)

The more detail, the better the odds someone can help you out.

For a quick intro in jetting http://www.exriders.com/jetting/jetting.shtml

Leo

PS moving this to the motor forum

stocktires
11-05-2001, 08:40 PM
well, i got bad news, you wont beat a blaster stock. you just got the thing so really really doubt you have much experience so sorry to tell ya. But yes your running rich, you must be about sea level because i think the factory jets the quads for sea level most of the time. I had the same problem when i over jetted my 300 to a 135 when it needs a 132 cuz i have a pipe & filter. Just go down one main jet size and it'll run alot better!

96300ex
11-06-2001, 08:44 AM
I finally got to really take it out and run it. It seems to backfire when the rpms get up there. It lacks power right after I shift, then it picks up and goes. That's only noticable in first and second, sometimes third. I know it's hard for you guys to diagnose engine trouble over the net, but I don't think it's running rich because it doesn't smoke at all. I've got an old John Deere I restored and that's where i learned about engines. Me and my grandfather fixed it up. He was an auto mechanic. I don't know as much about these small engines but i know my tractor smokes if it isn't ajusted right. I'll take it back to the dealer tonight probably. It's got a warrenty on it.

It was owned by a 37 year old who drove it like a wuss (Judging from the exelent condition it's in) And it's never had an aftermarket part on it. All the parts are stock which leads me to believe something is out of ajustment. I'm right at sea level.

When you say I can't beat a blaster stock, do you mean that I can't beat him or the quad just isn't capable of it? I've been riding sinse I was 9 and this is my first real quad. Had a 90, '86 utility 250, and a blaster (old peice 'o' junk, badly in need of a rebuild) for a while. Now I'm glad that I finally have a four stroke sport quad.

I feel pretty confident I can beat him, he doesn't have as much experience and is still kinda afraid of his own speed. I have all day to get used to the feel of my new quad before he gets home. He's one of those guys that likes to talk (Guess that's why his is blue!) but doesn't back it up. I'll let you know the outcome after we race.

stocktires
11-06-2001, 02:52 PM
what im sayin is you dont have enough experience on the quad. if you just got it you probably havent ridden it much. Im not sayin your a bad rider, a blaster is faster compared to a 300ex, but you may be a awesome rider so you have a good chance. but anyway it still sounds like jetting problems to me.

MichaelS693
11-06-2001, 05:05 PM
Yep its ur jetting because i had a friend who jetted his out and at first i think he jetted it to lean then to fat or maybe the other way around but anyway he experienced around and finally got it jetted straight oh and how old are you???????????

96300ex
11-07-2001, 03:02 PM
Problem solved! My stepbro left the choke half on and the plug was fouled. He told me to try it out and it never occured to me that the choke could have been on. duh. never did get to race because the polug got so bad it wouldn't run. To dark by the time i fixed her. I'm 15.

MichaelS693
11-07-2001, 03:21 PM
YEA I FORGTO TO SAY THAT I KNEW THERE WAS SOMETHIN I HAD TO SAY BUT I FORGOT WHAT IT WAS see my dad used to race MX with dirtbikes til he broke his knew (hes not paralized) so he knows about bikes anyway he forgot to turn my choke off when i got mine and it did just like u said urs did i just forgot to ssay somethin about it

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\confederatesm].gif
FLY IT HIGH!

MichaelS693
11-07-2001, 03:27 PM
GAHH MY PIC

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\confederatesm].gif
FLY IT HIGH

THERE YA GO;)

stocktires
11-07-2001, 03:43 PM
dont see the pic, i did the same thing, my bro tried to start my 300 once and left the choke on, i runs like crap when ya do that.

96300ex
11-07-2001, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the help anyway guys. Now I don't feel so stupid for not checking the choke.