PDA

View Full Version : trx vs kfx..??

BlaZn slO
04-01-2008, 10:54 AM
i see someone tried this b4 an it got off to racing stats...WHO CARES !! im tied up between honda an the kawi...im a long time honda rider -reliabilty- but lookn pretty hard at the kfx, whats the word out there about breakdowns an fix it problems????? iv read ALL the other forums yet no one wants to compare these 2 ??an why?? im just wondering if kawi's holdn up..:confused: ..isee the set up..but how the holdn up??

450raider
04-01-2008, 12:01 PM
ill keep it as simple as i possibly can, yes i currently own both an 04 R (also had an 07 at one time) and a kfx and i swore at one time that id never leave honda but lack of proffessionalism in customer care and how far they are behind on technology swayed me toward kawi, now for the machines themselves i prefer the kawi in all demensions of riding its made for trails to begin with but you can really mod it for anything and people complain about its hard seat -yeah it may be if your coming off a ute- and i believe kawi is offering the only 450 to come with a 1 yr. warranty. i know this dont cover very much but im trying to hit the main points

BlaZn slO
04-01-2008, 01:07 PM
hmm..i must agree hondas behind inte tech department an being a die hard honda fun its rather diffacult to look in another direction. but im thinking it just may happen..as far as the seat ... you can relax at home in the recliner for that..as for dependability??

mod440ex
04-01-2008, 01:49 PM
i love the stance and feel of the kawi over the honda. i felt like i was way up in the air on the honda and it also felt like it could tip over easier. the kawi does have a little extra vibration, nothing to right home about. and its seat is a little harder, but when you add the luxery of fuel injection, reverse, some awesome stock shocks, renthal fat bars, super smooth throttle lever, aluminum frame, and instant throttle response, the posistives out weigh the negatives by a landslide.

07trx400ex
04-01-2008, 04:51 PM
I am in a similar situation. Recently, I got into sport quads. About five months ago. I got a 400ex and it is just not "enough". So.......

I have narrowed my 450 search down to the two r's. Kawi and Honda.

The main two things in my opinion are PERFORMANCE and RELIABILITY.

1)How have the kfx's held up so far?

2) What is considered basic maintenance for it?

3) How would the kfx compare to the trx w/hrc.

BlaZn slO
04-01-2008, 05:08 PM
amen..i glad to see im not thee only one out there..alls in my consern as well...this is why im asking these q's..as far as PEFORMANCE im sold i think w/a few mods its game on...cost for performance..a bit more but the results seem to out standing iv delt w/ efi so im in tune w/all that... its reliability!!!! that im wondering an hoping for some great feed back. such as motor an suspention frame ,clutch,tranny,ect..im 85 % sure just some small details.well....big .small 1's...i dont see anyone bit#&! about it so im thinking ...its prob good....honda over 20 yrs now...

450raider
04-01-2008, 05:38 PM
well as for reliabilty i say this....its a kawasaki :macho think about it kawis been around forever and its not by accident, the 450 motor is proven dominance in the bike world and has been out long enought for them to work the bugs outta it (like all others really) and like mod said kawi threw all that stuff in on top of it (they wasnt the first to do it, but are the FIRST to get it right) and theres a lot of people who frown upon that but for the ones who actually have ridden/owned one cant complain

btw you forgot easily removable fender flares, gewt that race cut look.......without cutting!! :D

450rJam
04-01-2008, 06:02 PM
your the one spending the money

get the scales out and start weighing the pros vs cons of each

as far as a stock kfx vs hrc/trx there is no compairison
kfx can be modded but in stock form they dont have it

your going to have to pick what your going to do with it also

that reverse may come in handy in tight woods, the new trx
cant turn very sharp, I have seen a few kfx's with bent frames at the front a arms (maybe a weak link)

kfx does look sweet (in black)

maybe rate each atv on a scale of 1 to 10
power?
handleing?
ergo?
reliabilty?
price?
style?

you get the idea, then see which one scores higher for YOU

either will make you one seriously bad arse toy

just my opinion

livetoride
04-01-2008, 08:29 PM
I've had mine since last may and the only problem that I've had with it was when I crashed it at LS, OK back in January after taking it off of an 8ft drop off in fith gear. the damage wasn't as bas as I thought it would be for as fast as I was going when I went off the dune. It blew left front tire on impact and rolled it about 8-9 times before coming to a stop. after checking it out the only problem i had with it was a bent a-arm, bent tie rod, rims bent, handle bars bent, and the plastics broken in places.

all in all I'm happy with mine in fact I just bought another one a few days ago for my dad because he liked mine so much. (mostly because it has reverse)

07trx400ex
04-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Ok, what about the reliability factor. I don't want to be constantly fixing things. I know this bike is new so what are the problems so far?

BlaZn slO
04-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by livetoride
I've had mine since last may and the only problem that I've had with it was when I crashed it at LS, OK back in January after taking it off of an 8ft drop off in fith gear. the damage wasn't as bas as I thought it would be for as fast as I was going when I went off the dune. It blew left front tire on impact and rolled it about 8-9 times before coming to a stop. after checking it out the only problem i had with it was a bent a-arm, bent tie rod, rims bent, handle bars bent, and the plastics broken in places.

all in all I'm happy with mine in fact I just bought another one a few days ago for my dad because he liked mine so much. (mostly because it has reverse)

10-4 thats the way we do it ..go big or go home ...:macho :D ..no major damage thats what i want to hear... some war stories..i mean granted shtuff is gonna happen!!! iv broken ltz's in 1/2 (400's) b4 gussets tweeked banshees w/ snow mobile motors an numerius dirt bike stoies..just feeling out if its worthy of a brutel beating...:D

Yee-Haw_400EX
04-01-2008, 11:36 PM
I put my KFX through a damn beating each time I ride it through the woods. So far I have noticed this about my KFX:

1)A-arms are paper thin and bend easily if you snag a rock.
2)Steering is very light and loose
3)Sometimes have trouble hooking up in loose terrain
4)First and second gear are almost perfect with the stock sprockets, but 4th and 5th are way too low geared.
5)Factory intake tube going from airbox to the throttle body is VERY restrictive and VERY leaky. It allows dirt and water/mud to penetrate and go unfiltered.
6)Steel inserts spin inside aluminum frame.
7)Vibration can make your arms and hands numb.
8)Seat is WAY too hard.
9)Factory skid plates suck balls.

Thats about it. I like the rest.

07trx400ex
04-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Can anyone else chime in on this.

Areas of interest are:

1) Shock setups

2)Faster in a straight line?
(kxf450r w/pipe, filter) vs. (trx450r w/ hrc)

3)Which one is better in woods?

4)Which one has the advantage at the track?

5)Which one can take more abuse?

6)Which one is more reliable?

mod440ex
04-02-2008, 03:35 PM
the shocks are pretty good for factory, they have compression, rebound, and adjustable preload.

i raced a 450r and beat it. his had an lrd slipon filter and jet kit.
mine had a hmf slipon and dobock efi controller.

by far the kfx is better in the woods. it stance feels lower so it doesnt fell so tipsy. i have rode two 450r and both felt like i was sitting really tall and it felt like it wanted to 2 wheel alot around sharp fast corners.

i couldnt tell you much about the track part, but i have heard that the kfx feels light in the air, i havent had much experience on either on an mx track.

i would think hondas would be a little more reliable since they have been out so long, but i havent heard or had any major problems with mine.

450rJam
04-02-2008, 04:02 PM
its not really fair race hrc honda vs pipe/filter kfx

the hrc kit has cam/pipe/jets/needle/+1000rpm and a few other small things

straight line an hrc trx (06+) would rape a pipe/filter kfx

woods would be pretty close

I have only rode one kfx (piped/remap)
it did feel fast but when I got next to another friend who was on
a yfz he ran off and left me

the front was a little too light in the air

I only rode it for 30 min or so (the seat is like sitting on a board)
and it does vibrate through the seat/handlebars alot

it turns a hell of a lot sharper than the trx and feels like the rear end gets loose pretty easy

Honda is famous for its reliability but all the 450's require more maint. than the 400's

kfx has cooler looking plastics imo

livetoride
04-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam
straight line an hrc trx (06+) would rape a pipe/filter kfx
I would have to disagree with part of what you stated. I have a KFX piped and filtered. In a straight line the TRX will beat it on topend but the KFX will beat it in a 300 ft drag race. after that the TRX will catch up and pass the it because the KFX is geared lower than the TRX.

450rJam
04-02-2008, 06:48 PM
was it hrc ? and what year ?

it does make a huge difference

stock the trx isnt real impressive

livetoride
04-02-2008, 07:05 PM
I've ran against both the 06 and 07 TRX's with HRC kits. I would beat them off the line untill I top out then thats when they would catch up and pass me. alot of it was probably the rider, because some I would beat by 3-5 lengths and others by only half a length. this is in a 300 ft drag race, If it were any farther they would have beaten me. The KFX is not fast on long straight aways it is geared for short quick bursts of speed.

Yee-Haw_400EX
04-02-2008, 07:51 PM
I've raced an 07 450R with the HRC kit with my current mods and I pulled a good lead and he caught back up to my short gearing. I had the stock gears at the time. Now, same race with a 15 tooth front sprocket turns out more even.

07trx400ex
04-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Well this is sounding like a really hard choice.......

Yee-haw, have you had any experience with the a-arms being "soft".

I really like the narrow frame geometry with longer a-arms from a design standpoint. It would seem as if it would redistribute the tension points.

Yee-Haw_400EX
04-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by 07trx400ex
Well this is sounding like a really hard choice.......

Yee-haw, have you had any experience with the a-arms being "soft".

I really like the narrow frame geometry with longer a-arms from a design standpoint. It would seem as if it would redistribute the tension points.
Oh yeah. I had a real nice experience with them last weekend. I tagged a rock that would have just scratched my old 400EX's a-arm but left a good deep dent in the KFX. The metal is really THIN and SOFT for the a-arms. I believe this was a weight savings issue and I guess Kawasaki has the mindset that most people will replace them with aftermarket? This concerns me because I believe MOST people don't ever upgrade their a-arms. Who knows. I do know, however, that I'm going to have to invest in a-arm guards soon.

07trx400ex
04-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Ok, thanks man.

By the way, how is the Dasa,PCIII,FuelAtv intake kit, working.

That is the exact setup along with prm swinger skid, and pro armor chassis and a arm skids that I would get.

450rJam
04-03-2008, 04:23 AM
ask same question in the trx450r section

not saying anyone is stretching the truth but my experiences,
and my friends kfx are different.
(as well as all the shootouts from different sources)

mod440ex
04-03-2008, 04:56 AM
the shoot outs are of stock machines. i will say that the 450r i raced was i believe an 06. how much stright line racing will you be doing? if you are going to be mainly woods and track i think i would have to go with kfx because it is alot more "state of the art" design.

i have had mine for over a year now and i havent had a whole lot of dents and dings on mine. i did noitce a few dents on my a-arms, but i figured that was pretty good for how hard i ride it. i am going to be racing it xc next year and if i dont get some aftermarket a-arms i will be getting some guards for them. one other thing i wish they would have done was make the flywheel a little heavier to kinda help on the stalling, but oh well. its still a great quad.

Yee-Haw_400EX
04-03-2008, 05:38 AM
Ok, thanks man.

By the way, how is the Dasa,PCIII,FuelAtv intake kit, working.

That is the exact setup along with prm swinger skid, and pro armor chassis and a arm skids that I would get.
This dyno was done just as a baseline. I since have leaned it out and should be making a little more on top end now.

07trx400ex
04-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Those are very impressive torque numbers.

Yee-Haw_400EX
04-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Those are very impressive torque numbers.
My friend's LTR has 56 horse and 39 ft/lbs torque.

07trx400ex
04-03-2008, 06:32 PM
With what mods?

Yee-Haw_400EX
04-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Hotcams stage 1, no airbox, K&N, junk Nmotion pipe, Athena 493 kit, PCIII, ported head.

07trx400ex
04-03-2008, 06:46 PM
What I really meant was, that is very impressive for just opening the plumbing up.

Especially on a DJ dyno.

07trx400ex
04-03-2008, 07:31 PM
I think it is coming down to the deal the Kawi dealer can give.

I already got an offer of $5599 OTD for an hrc equipped 07 Honda 450r from a dealer

The Kawasaki place better step their game up and throw in a some free after-market stuff!

Like a PCIII and a Dasa, to get it close to the HRC.

450rJam
04-04-2008, 04:21 AM
not going to happen

welcome aboard the honda band wagon

with the savings you can buy a bad arse lid

Yee-Haw_400EX
04-04-2008, 05:19 AM
I think it is coming down to the deal the Kawi dealer can give.

I already got an offer of $5599 OTD for an hrc equipped 07 Honda 450r from a dealer

The Kawasaki place better step their game up and throw in a some free after-market stuff!

Like a PCIII and a Dasa, to get it close to the HRC.
We know good and well they won't throw in a PCIII or a DASA. Hell, my local dumbass dealer hadn't even heard of DASA and was making fun of it when I took my KFX in. Needless to say, that was NOT the dealer I bought my wheeler from.

700bRad
04-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Yes welcome aboard Honda, and on the podium! You wont be dissapointed HRC 450r's are naughty!

mod440ex
04-05-2008, 06:32 AM
well if you get a honda at least you can always see what ya coulda had, in front of ya at the races:D

BlaZn slO
04-05-2008, 08:43 AM
yea im thinking the kfx just might be the winner here..the hrc is deff a go fast proven machine...but th ekfx with some simple breathing mods ( gonna happen no matter brand ya buy) should do the trick ..im not a drag kinda guy all woods (tight) an some track every now an then.. seems like reverse mihgt be nice (iv NEVER had that optiion) an prob wont use ...never kno??

mod440ex
04-05-2008, 08:00 PM
i had a 400ex with no reverse and i thought the same thing, but i use it alot more than i thought. and its realy nice when making new trails.

450raider
04-05-2008, 08:29 PM
yeah i must admit i thought reverse would be a waste of weight and money, but ive used it waaaayy more then i thought i would being my 1st sport quad with reverse (in order banshee, 440ex, 450r, kfx) but anyway its gotten me out of some fine messes - and it sure beats pulling!

hondaracer_34
04-21-2008, 05:17 AM
i had the same options as getting a honda 450r with the HRC kit or the Kawi 450..and thanks to all they guys here on this kfx forum i was able to make up my mind easily..thanks guys...you wont be disappointed with the kfx...shes a beast...

woodsZrider
04-23-2008, 07:08 PM
the kfx is the best bike i have ever rode..i know this is going to cause some issues, but after all my mods i like it the best. in stock form the bike does have some vibration, but that comes from the new frame, the stock skids are trash, but what stock skids arn't?? the reverse button on the handle bars really helps late in a race and i need to back up and go quick... the EFI makes for great response. but you really need to decide what type of riding you are going to do with it.. i race XC and it is great for that...the most important thing is buy what YOU want not what someone else tells you....good luck and have fun....

450raider
04-24-2008, 09:33 AM
i think that the kfx is the best all around 450 out right now, and i remember a time when the yfz came out then when the R did everyone bashed it and talked about how junky it was and now honda cant hang on to em and everyones all like "oh i liked them all along", i think thats where kawis at now - no it dont have a $9000 tag or a simple plug in mod but it does have one of the most explosive bike motors made today then you add in relibility (kawi can make bulletproof stuff) sounds familiar huh? and mark my words, if kawi thinks the hard seat or vibraton are big enough problems and fixes em in 09, us 08 owners can fit on the same fixes i dont think kawi would leave us hanging (like hon. did me and so many others)