PDA

View Full Version : What's the most reliable 450cc ATV?

JimmyHoffa
04-01-2008, 08:43 AM
most reliable 450cc class sport ATV.

I just need a few opinions. From experience/conversations with other riders, what's the most reliable 450 class quad that's available. I'm looking for make, model, and generation/year. (For example, there is an obvious difference between the 04/05 450r's and the 06+ R's. Be specific.) Feel free to post whatever you know. I just need to find a good quad. I have an '04 450r now, and so far it's been nice to me. I am just thinking of selling it to get something that maybe doesn't have the bottom end issues (however minor they may be) that the R has.

I've done quite a bit of research, and think I've found something, but it's stupid not to check with the rest of the world now, isn't it?

BigBore24
04-01-2008, 08:47 PM
id have to go with the honda foreman 450. that thing looks like a beast......lol:D :blah:

BlaineKaiser450
04-02-2008, 05:58 PM
i personaly think that the 04 450r is the most reliable quad out there

trx400EXtreme
04-02-2008, 08:29 PM
honda=RELIABLE

my88r
04-02-2008, 10:53 PM
ktm 450/525 xc atv:macho

JimmyHoffa
04-03-2008, 12:01 AM
yeah... I'm a poor college powersporter. No KTM for me... I have a '04 450r, and I just don't want to have to deal with any bottom end issues in the future. I have the crank update kit installed, but I've heard they still have issues. Maybe I don't know how big the issues are, and am making too big of a deal out of it. I was kinda wondering about the yfz, the ltr, or trx specifically now that I think about it. I've been looking around, and I've heard 06 and up yfz's are good with the oil fix. ('07 and up are supposedly "perfect") is there a yfz quirk I don't know about?

ohsobad_chevy
04-03-2008, 02:44 PM
All the 450's are reliable to a certain extent, they are race motors and require a lot of maintenance. So get what you feel comfortable on and practice good maintenance and you will be good to go. ;) It's all in how you take care of them.

JimmyHoffa
04-03-2008, 06:01 PM
I know, I could keep anything running. You would probably make toilet in your pants if you saw anything I own. The oil comes out the same color it goes in. Showroom clean, rustless, excellent shape- no exceptions. If there is even the slightest imperfection, I take it apart and fix it. I'm just a picky engineer, and I want the motor/quad combo with the fewest quirks. I'm the type that pictures exactly what's happening inside of any device I'm using, and have to look at a microfiche/disassemble the item to see exactly how everything works. Inferior engineering bears on my conscience to no end. I like knowing where oil is going, and where it comes from, and how much is in each part of the engine at any given time.

ohsobad_chevy
04-03-2008, 06:44 PM
I take really good care of my stuff too, but damn.....I think you got me beat there. I ride hard and have fun on my bike, but I also wash, change oil/filter, clean air filter and re-lube everything. Props to you, man. :D

pro-rider46
04-03-2008, 06:54 PM
well, imho i would stay with the 04 you have, if you have the updated crank, i wouldnt worry the slightest bit about it. i would save my money and build up your current one before buying a new one.

my88r
04-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
All the 450's are reliable to a certain extent, they are race motors and require a lot of maintenance.

x2 most 450s your going to do alot of rebuilding. thats why i like my 400ex.:macho

JimmyHoffa
04-03-2008, 08:13 PM
I may keep the R then. I can't tell yet, but if that's what the consensus is and people have good luck with them, I'll go with the majority.

Also, ohsobad, what kinda trouble has your YFZ given you? I heard they're a little less likely to hand grenade than the R's, though the R's are apparently good. There are certain questionable ways Yamaha designs things that I can't get over, but they have innovations that draw me to their stuff too. (I'm not speaking out of my bottom. I've spent countless hours under/inside my buddy's Raptor 660.) I guess I could get used to it. I have to respect that they pulled off 350 pounds dry with a BATTERY, two cams, and a STARTER MOTOR! I also have to respect a more than decent titanium valvetrain on a quad,and the heaping spoonful of aluminum and magnesium on the YFZ.

I'm gonna miss my kickstart if I do that... Best thing that ever happened to a 450...

From my experience, dirt breaks stuff. When there is no dirt, stuff doesn't really break that often. If my bike is clean all the time, I can just work on it whenever I want in whatever clothes I want, and it rocks hauling a clean as heck bike around behind my Jetta TDI. I enjoy the looks. Both for the cleanliness, and the fact that I'm hauling a quad, usually a dirt bike some tires, and two people's gear on a 5x8 trailer behind a little European semi-sports car.

ohsobad_chevy
04-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by my88r
x2 most 450s your going to do alot of rebuilding. thats why i like my 400ex.:macho

This statement is not true......any quad is reliable to the extent of how well it is maintained by the owner. The 450's require more frequent oil changes, lubrications and cleanings compared to other quads.

Originally posted by JimmyHoffa
.......Also, ohsobad, what kinda trouble has your YFZ given you?......

No trouble to this day, I maintain it well and it treats me very nicely, I got well over 150 hours on it.....I have rode many many quads, including some insane hybrids and I would not trade my YFZ for anything. I love it.
I recommend getting what you feel comfortable on and taking care of it. :)

XXXRACER165
04-04-2008, 06:16 PM
From my experience, if you don't modd your engine to much it will be more reliable. The more you stress parts, the quicker they fall apart.

JimmyHoffa
04-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Yeah... I talked to the Sum Of All Human ATV Knowlegde (A guy named Art at a quad speed shop near me) and he said he has 1 or 2 yfz's in for engine failures for every 10 450r's he sees. He would still recommend both bikes for me, because he sees failure due almost exclusively to ridiculously horrific maintenance, and knows how I take care of my stuff. But, I suppose, if you follow the schedule in the 450r user manual, any 450r would blow up in a few months anyway. Honda needs to understand that we won't think they're 'not cool' or 'not one of the guys' if they make a bike that needs to have it's oil changed less than once a year. I'm cool with that if Honda is cool with that. It looks like I'll grab a yfz soon.

I'm getting good, and the only way I can get more goodness is to use gas. I need something I'm going to want to keep for a long time, and I think the yfz is my style. I just got a chance to ride one, and they fit me better. Size-wise, they kinda feel like a ridiculously awesomely fast blaster with way more awesome suspension. It's a totally smaller feel than the R. The R's not bad for some, I guess, I'm just 5'7 and 130 pounds on a fat day. Maybe something I can muscle (or at least think I can muscle) a little more would be better for me.

...forum homies get first dibs, I guess! :cool: Anybody want a pretty much new '04 450r with a gusseted frame, the crank update, and an aluminum swingarm skidplate? Pass it around.

Opinions still wanted. This, and talking to people around me has helped me tremendously. I'm not going to say the test ride didn't have an effect.... :p

06YFZ450SE
04-06-2008, 01:16 PM
I wouldnt trade my YFZ for nothing since I got it in 06. I have had no problems with it but its jetted lean from the factory. I have bolt on Cam Mod and it runs like a rapped ape. If I get another quad it will be another YFZ.

JimmyHoffa
04-06-2008, 01:46 PM
all right. That's the last straw. (I'm going to set the building on fire...) You're about the 10th person I've heard that's said that. Off goes the R.

BigBore24
04-06-2008, 08:45 PM
hey hoffa lets see that super clean 450r. i like your way of thinking when it comes to your equipment. do you not ride in muddy conditions or are you just like me (ride hard in any conditions and stress until you get her home and all cleaned up again) i like the looks of the yfz more than any other quad, but the kfx is a close 2nd. anyone know anything bout them

JimmyHoffa
04-07-2008, 06:38 AM
why not? Here she is. Hopefully, if I can find a loving home for her, I'll get to take care of a YFZ like this too.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/JimmyHoffa88/IMG_0678small.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/JimmyHoffa88/IMG_0677small.jpg

usually, it's just a combo for me. I don't ride in mud, because I don't think it's fun, and it equals lots of extra work. When it's nasty and I can't stop myself from riding, I bust out super-gnarly tricks to keep myself clean-ish, (loft the front through puddles, bicycle the inside tires over puddles in the middle of a trail, etc.) and then spend lots of time with the hose and simple green max pro series.