PDA

View Full Version : valve and rocker question

3redtoys
03-31-2008, 07:46 PM
i have recently had a boo boo with my 2000 300ex my top end mainly cam and rockers were run without oil i think due to the oil filter being put in backwards anyway my bike still runs and starts easier than ever before but when it runs it taps badly and if held at a steady throttle it will puff white smoke no oil seems to be burning out just the smell of poor combustion (unburned fuel) i did notice that the exhaust rocker has a pretty bad gouge wore in it where it contacts the cam the valves seem to be adjusted properly and it has decent compression could rockers cause this ive had people tell me my rings would be bad but arent these lubricated from the sump ? i had plenty of oil in it just not flowing past filter

any ideas will help thanks

webbnaste
04-01-2008, 09:53 AM
White puffs of smoke usally mean your piston rings are done for. As far as the tapping, if your rocker arm has a groove in it rather than being bowed out like it should; not only will it tap, but you might not be keeping the valves open and closed in a proper timing. My 2001 300ex was making an aweful noise, and after new valves, I found out it was a bad rocker arm...which also had ruined my cam...look at your cam and make sure its not starting to round over on its edges. Hope this helps u at all...

3redtoys
04-01-2008, 06:52 PM
thats what i figured i have another top end on the way going to try an even swap cam and top cover with rockers in place hopefully that will work does anyone know what years are interchangeable on the 300 i know my 200 has that emmissions tube from the intake but that can be eliminated right?

thanks

3redtoys
04-01-2008, 06:54 PM
sorry 2000 not 200