PDA

View Full Version : ASR A-arms

04Honda450r#06
03-31-2008, 06:56 PM
hey everyone
i was bidding on a set of ASR +2+1 a-arms
they come with a-arms, tie rods, and all bushings, look brand new, only used for a few rides
im just getting into racing quadsm but im pretty damn experienced, just bought a set of works tripple rate shocks, there set up for this type of a-arm, dont quite have the money for long travel until next season, whats your guyss info on this
let me kno ASAP
thanks alot
god bless

rustyATV
03-31-2008, 07:14 PM
Have fun replacing those ball joints; you'll be doing it a lot.

Pono
03-31-2008, 09:17 PM
stop bidding. very low quality product. recommend jd performance or smc. jd is highest quality for reasonable price. smc is close behind.

04Honda450r#06
03-31-2008, 10:47 PM
hey, yea i figured they might sufice until next season, when i end up running LT, but yea i was the highest bidder, i won them for 180. plus shipping, so basicly 200 bucks out the door. was it worth it, or should i find a way 2 back out
let me kno you input
will i end up finding a decent set of a-arms around 200-300 max
IS ANYONE SELLING A-ARMS????
LET ME KNOW

thanks alot

400exrider707
04-01-2008, 05:33 AM
I bought my Houser ST for my 450R for $250shipped right on here. I just picked up a set of Ishock arms with stainless lines that look brand new for $325 shipped. The deals are here, just have to look for them.

04Honda450r#06
04-01-2008, 07:28 AM
so do you guys think i should go through with these a-arms
or should i find somthing else. I just picked up a set of works tripple rate shocks, so im just tryin 2 find a decent set of a-arms. but i dont want anything thats going to give me nothing but problems, please tell me your insight
thanks alot

Pono
04-01-2008, 11:32 AM
well ive just heard of alot of fitament and breakage problems. FEW othrers said they were working out. take it for what you will. i wouldn't trust them. thats just me. definately check this site for sale stuff

04-01-2008, 11:52 AM
I hate to throw a pig in the Mosque. I have a set of these a-arms and have had no problems with them. I have read a few places that peeps have trouble with them but I have replaced one set of heim joints and prior to that they where replaced a long, long time ago. On the ASR site it gives you different options of grade of heim joint and they are cheap as chips. Fully camber and caster adjusable as well as width. No problems with them here.

04-01-2008, 02:37 PM
bottom line...you won them so you should pay for them...you can sell them to get your money back

mx1791
04-01-2008, 02:58 PM
i have a friend whos been using ASRs for 2 seasons in MX with no problems

brokenmike
04-01-2008, 04:17 PM
I have had ASR a-arms for 4 years and just recently replaced the outer ball joints only.The inner ones are still tight.I ride through everything,I have had no problems

04Honda450r#06
04-01-2008, 04:54 PM
hey
well it seems like the words are going both ways, i bid and won basicly a brand new set off ebay for just bout 200 shipped.
not a bad deal, i think these should be fine until i get some more money in the bank and should last until next season when i can switch to LT, of course i kno the line you get what you pay for, and im well aware that they dont compare to house,4-play,leagers,roll design, jd, but i think ill save some more money up for some other parts. thanks for all your help and insight, keep it comming if you have some pointers. thanks again
god bless

400exrider707
04-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
bottom line...you won them so you should pay for them...you can sell them to get your money back

I fully agree

Now on to the arms... IMO 12 point adjustability is ridiculous, and I think the heims on the lower arms where it attaches to the frame is an extreme weak point.

mx1791
04-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I fully agree

Now on to the arms... IMO 12 point adjustability is ridiculous, and I think the heims on the lower arms where it attaches to the frame is an extreme weak point.

ASR a arms dont have heims at the lower frame mount

04-02-2008, 12:10 AM
I used them. I used the +3 arms. Never had any thing bad happen. And they polish up nice to. They come with a "Lifetime Structural Warranty" How many other comps do that? Not many. The only bad thing about them is the paint they have on the A-arms is thin and comes off kind of easy. But thats a good thing if you polish them like me. Only took a hour per A-arm all by hand.

B4 and after
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd127/blue450yo/quad/4wheeler278.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd127/blue450yo/quad/DSCF0005.jpg

American Star A-Arms are manufactured out of Precision Formed, Seamless Aircraft Grade 4130 Chromoly One Inch Tubing. All of our products are Precision CNC Bent and then Precision TIG Welded by our In-House Certified Welder. The Bottom A-Arms are Bullet-Proof .120 Wall One Inch Tube with 4130 Chromoly shock tabs and the Tops are .083 Wall One Inch Tube. This provides Maximum Strength and helps keep overall weight of the ATV down. It you bend it or break the arm itself for ANY reason it will be replaced free of charge under Lifetime Structural Warranty!

All American Star A-Arms sets include 5/8 inch .120 Wall Racing Tie Rods with 303 Stainless Steel threaded ends which are TIG Welded into the Tie Rod. This means you will virtually never have a Tie Rod break or bend and if you do it will be replaced free of charge under its Lifetime Structural Warranty!

American Star Pro Series A-Arms all take a Stock Length aftermarket shock and are fully Camber and Caster Adjustable. Caster adjustment will allow you to make the ATV steer quicker or slower to your own personal specifications and allow you to adjust for better high speed stability. Camber adjustment will allow you to tip the top of the tire in so it does not allow the tire to roll over in hard cornering while racing. Additionally both adjustments will allow you to adjust minor inconsistencies in the frame due to poor manufacturing tolerances or a bent frame.

All American Star Pro Series A-Arms come with our innovative Heim Style Ball Joints. The Heim Joint itself is self lubricating PFTE Teflon Lined and lateral load rated at 15,178 lbs. The installed Pivot Pin is precision CNC machined out of 4130 Chromoly Hardened Steel. This Pivot Pin has a US Patent Pending, number 10,614/250. (Please Note: Any other company using this style pivot pin may not be able to provide you with replacement parts upon finalization of this Patent.). We highly recommend you buy this product from us to avoid non-availability of replacement parts for your A-Arms in the near future. We have been consistently manufacturing this high quality part for many years.

Only Top Quality parts are used on American Star A-Arms. All Heim Joints/Rod Ends are Two Piece PFTE Teflon Lined (much safer than Three Piece). Please note our lesser expensive competitors use Metal to Metal Heim Joints that squeak when dirt or debris gets in them. We NEVER use these cheaper Heim Joints! Our Bushings are 100% Liquid Delron injected. We own the mold and control the quality. It is the best Delron bushing in the industry guaranteed! All aluminum components are precision CNC machined out of 6160 quality aluminum. We do not use or provide you with a product made of poor or low quality materials. We only use Top Grade materials in the manufacturing of our products.

04Honda450r#06
04-02-2008, 05:39 AM
wow
yea thanks alot for all the info
thats really helped out alot
thanks so much

Pono
04-02-2008, 10:44 AM
i would just like to say that having a lifetime warranty doesnt mean they are super duper arms. guys who are running ishock arms are snapping them while just riding ...not even crashing. yes they do get replaced by the company for free but i dont know bout you...but i dont want my a arm to snap while im riding. that could hurt. like i said earlier......i have heard people using them and working fine like some of the guys here but they are just not for me. i would just recommend to check the welds and everything after every ride. you will like the added width and new shocks though. hope everything works out.:)

300ex mxracer
04-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by mx1791
ASR a arms dont have heims at the lower frame mount

ASR uses heims on both top and bottom frame mounts. check out the pics. above^^^

I ran these a-arms on my old 300 for a year and didnt have any problems but i dont like the heims either.

mx1791
04-02-2008, 12:46 PM
these are ASRs. no lower frame heims.. (friends quad, dont mind the shocks haha)
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/cbasil_2006/l_977add72f4ede09fc6be8c6e5b4986dd.jpg

04-02-2008, 02:25 PM
They are the cheeper "sport" versions not the "pro" versions.
04Honda450r#06 What ones did you buy? Do you have a link to the ebay advert?

04-02-2008, 06:11 PM
hey dude i just got the EXACT SAME setup. to tell you the truth im lovin it all the adjustibility is great. you just gotta check everything after ridin for a bit n make sure everythings tight and stuff like that. but overall i like em.

04Honda450r#06
04-02-2008, 09:52 PM
hey
yea heres the link to the a-arms

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBTOX:IT&item=190209268592&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

not to sure if there the pro or not
lemme kno what u think

thanks alot

PaT #06

400exrider707
04-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Why would you even want or need heims on the lower arms where they attach to the frames? Weak design.

bajaracer - that's not paint, it's their cheap powdercoating.

"This means you will virtually never have a Tie Rod break or bend"

This means if you hit something, something more expensive will bend or break, which also isn't good.

The Heim Joint itself is self lubricating PFTE Teflon Lined and lateral load rated at 15,178 lbs.

What difference does that make, the way they're being implemented on these arms, they're not seeing lateral loads... like I've said before most a-arms using heim joints are not using them how they were designed.

04-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Well I never saw or heard some one say they broke a asr A-arm. Only thing I ever here people say is that you need to use lock tight on the bolts or else they vibrate loose and fall out. And the thin crappie pc job. All I know is the ASR arms looked much beefier than stock.

Honda#4
04-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Nice work on the arms bajaracer

04-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Why would you even want or need heims on the lower arms where they attach to the frames? Weak design.

bajaracer - that's not paint, it's their cheap powdercoating.

"This means you will virtually never have a Tie Rod break or bend"

This means if you hit something, something more expensive will bend or break, which also isn't good.

The Heim Joint itself is self lubricating PFTE Teflon Lined and lateral load rated at 15,178 lbs.

What difference does that make, the way they're being implemented on these arms, they're not seeing lateral loads...
like I've said before most a-arms using heim joints are not using them how they were designed.

They are using the heims for the exact intended purpose. They are used so you can adjust the caster and thats a good thing, it enables you to iron out any twists in the stem or frame, if you have fixed joints you have to take the A-arms as they are but with the heims you can adjust the front to back settings as much as you want, thus creating the perfect setup if you are so inclined.

And I think you find that lateral force is a transient load approaching a object at an angle and almost pivoting at a point...therefore these heims are seeing the exact definition of lateral force.

By the way they are the pro arms....nice buy for the price.

04-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Ikilla2
They are the cheeper "sport" versions not the "pro" versions.
04Honda450r#06 What ones did you buy? Do you have a link to the ebay advert?

mx1791 I take take that back, they are the pro arms.

04Honda450r#06
04-04-2008, 11:22 AM
so the ones that i bought off ebay are the pro ones???
lemme kno
thanks alot for all this info

400exrider707
04-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Ikilla2
They are using the heims for the exact intended purpose. They are used so you can adjust the caster and thats a good thing, it enables you to iron out any twists in the stem or frame, if you have fixed joints you have to take the A-arms as they are but with the heims you can adjust the front to back settings as much as you want, thus creating the perfect setup if you are so inclined.

And I think you find that lateral force is a transient load approaching a object at an angle and almost pivoting at a point...therefore these heims are seeing the exact definition of lateral force.

By the way they are the pro arms....nice buy for the price.

I understand why they are using heims on the arms where it attaches to the frame. But using them where they attach to the spindle is not using them for how they are intended. Different type of load. If you have a bent frame or something else tweaked that bad, correcting by adjusting an a-arm is not the way to fix this. Doing this will also give you a different setup on your right hand side than your left hand side causing handling to be different and "thrown off." Also JB sells arms with fixed mounts to the frame that are still castor adjustable using shims. Check it out. Also there is no problem using the heims on the upper arms where it attaches to the frame. I happen to prefer fixed joints myself anyways, but I think those would be OK. Using heims on the lower arms where it attaches to the frame is NOT a good idea IMO. Again using heims where the arms attach to the spindle is NOT using them correctly. They may work, but this is not what heims were intended for. I'll still take a sealed balljoint any day of the week. Thanks for your insight though.

400exrider707
04-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Agreed 100%, though you're aiming it at me, for what reason I don't know. The only thing I cant stand more than ignorant people, is companies that take advantage of my fellow riders. So I will continue to make posts like this and hope at least one person comes away with some knowledge.:cool:

400exrider707
04-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by 04Honda450r#06
hey
yea heres the link to the a-arms

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBTOX:IT&item=190209268592&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

not to sure if there the pro or not
lemme kno what u think

thanks alot

PaT #06

Not sure which ones these are technically called, but they're the better of the two if you had to get one. They use a solid mount on the lower arms. The arms will probably hold up just fine for you.