View Full Version : Valve adjustment on new quad

alping45
03-31-2008, 06:15 PM
I just got a brand new 400ex, how long should I wait before having valves checked/adjusted and is it totally necessary?

TRXRacer1
03-31-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by alping45
I just got a brand new 400ex, how long should I wait before having valves checked/adjusted and is it totally necessary? I probably had over 100 hours on mine before I looked at the valves and they were only out a couple thousands. Each engine is different but overall the 400ex motor is pretty solid.

reconranger
03-31-2008, 06:58 PM
If you read you owner's manual it says 20 hours, and that is about right....just after it is completely broken in. Good time to switch to a synthetic oil as well.

This isn't something you want to neglect! I have owned a couple dozen different quads and dirt bikes, and every one was out of spec at 20 hours! After that, they stay in pretty good, but that first adjustment is crucial....

NacsMXer
03-31-2008, 07:07 PM
The Honda service manual maintenance schedule for adjusting the valves calls for checking/adjusting them after the first 20 hours (new motor). Regular maintenance thereafter calls for every 100-200 hours.

I don't have an hourmeter, so I typically inspect the clearances and adjust as needed every so often. If you hear more tapping in your top end, or the quad has more trouble starting you may want to adjust the valves.

NacsMXer
03-31-2008, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by reconranger
If you read you owner's manual it says 20 hours, and that is about right....just after it is completely broken in. Good time to switch to a synthetic oil as well.

This isn't something you want to neglect! I have owned a couple dozen different quads and dirt bikes, and every one was out of spec at 20 hours! After that, they stay in pretty good, but that first adjustment is crucial....

Beat me to it but you're right :p The valves can get very loose at first before its all broken in.