PDA

View Full Version : camper to toy hauler?

JJs450r
03-31-2008, 04:36 PM
im supposed to be getting a 30 foot camper and was wanting to gut the rear to turn into a toy hauler just wondering if any one has done this or if would even be a good idea thanks

fast250r
03-31-2008, 04:45 PM
I knew someone that did that same thing. They used it for a few years then got a car hauler and converted it into a camper.

bossman525
03-31-2008, 05:48 PM
i would think if you started gutting out the back of a camper to do something like that you would compramise the structeral intagrity of the frame work in the cabin itself. i dont know how many quads your looking to haul but they do make rack systems that fit in the bed of your truck that haul 2 quads.

quad2xtreme
03-31-2008, 07:16 PM
there is a guy in Raleigh with a business that advertises "trick my trailer."

http://ncrvsolutions.com/default.aspx

Might want to call him. Guessing the most difficult portion will be getting a door on the back.

JJs450r
03-31-2008, 07:39 PM
it sucks cus i would put my quad in the back of my truck and pull the camper but im doing 2 quad and will need the bed space for water tank and washer

thanks for the info

m.h.s.c.#527
03-31-2008, 10:54 PM
ive seen 1 industrially built it was expensive

my88r
04-01-2008, 12:23 AM
i would say buy one thats already done. seems like alot of fabing.:ermm:

JJs450r
04-01-2008, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by my88r
i would say buy one thats already done. seems like alot of fabing.:ermm:

thats the problem im gettin this one free vs buying a new hauler

bossman525
04-01-2008, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by JJs450r
thats the problem im gettin this one free vs buying a new hauler
sell the one your getting for free and put that towards a hauler, if you look hard enough you can find them cheap

JJs450r
04-01-2008, 08:42 AM
ya i was thinkin that or just tradin for a bigger trailer and put living quaters in it not sure yet just tryin to see whats cheapest thanks for all the help though

Scooter86
04-01-2008, 10:52 AM
I am thinking you may run into some weight distribution problems with this type of setup. If you have a 1 ton, maybe even a 3/4 would be stout enough, you could just get one of the sytems that carries the quads over the bed rails. You can get 2 on your truck, and that leaves everything from the rails down free to store whatever. Before you do this, make sure you aren't going to go over your cargo capacity/axle weights/ etc.

tat2dguy01
04-02-2008, 08:38 AM
i am looking into one of these.....

should be able to get atleast 2 quads on there

JJs450r
04-02-2008, 06:14 PM
ya i was looking at them as well but would much rather have it sheltered more then anything

tri5ron
04-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Chances are you'd be asking for disaster. the framework in the trailer probably is not up to snuff to cut out the rear, and support the framework that would be necessary to make the rear of the camper rigid enough.

I'd say either go with the rack over the truck bed suggestion, or clean up the 30 footer and sell it. then use the money to get a nice used toy hauler, or even a enclosed box type trailer, and put in your own cabinets, bed, potty, etc.

you'd be surprised how much you can get into a 14 -16 foot box trailer, and when the toys are unloaded, fold down some beds, throw in a fold down picnic table and some shelfs.

I've got a 14' Santek box trailer that i built the interior myself. I pack 3 landsailers, 4 quads, firewood, and all the standard camping gear.
after unloading all the toys/equipment, the forward 'rack' slides down and back, below the rear rack. this makes two king sized bunk beds, blow up a airmatress for each, fold down the 3 large shelfs on the forward wall, set up the folding picnic table, and Wallah! instant camper !
It will comfortably sleep 4 adults in beds, (and a couple of kids in bags on the floor).

I tow this behind my cabover camper, and anybody who want to join us has their own place to sleep.
Works Great, and I've gotten quite a few compliments on it.

think of it as enclosed weather proof toy storage at home, Toyhauler on the road, and Garage/Guest house in camp!

JJs450r
04-03-2008, 06:52 AM
ya that was another idea i had i myself have a 6x12 and we all know u cant fit crap in there so i was thinking of takin the camper and trading/selling for a bigge trailer x18 or x20 and putting front living quaters in

would you mind posting pics of your set up just for a rough idea? thanks

bwamos
04-03-2008, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by tat2dguy01

Ack.. I don't think you could drive that without something on that flatbed portion. That sucker looks awfully tail heavy, and appears like it would want to do some major tail wagging on the highway.

tat2dguy01
04-03-2008, 09:26 AM
yeah...i thought about the back end being heavy. would have to make sure it stayed loaded in travel. it would be easy enough to fab up the front end of a older trailer in the same manner.

quad2xtreme
04-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by tat2dguy01

I've seen a similar one that has a pop-up style tent on the backend instead of a trailer. It actually has more space because the beds stick out on each end like most pop-up campers.

ZSK
04-03-2008, 12:33 PM
On a 30' travel trailer I wouldn't cut the back out. The back wall actually braces the walls. If I had a travel trailer to cut up, I'd put a ramp door on the sides basically a drive in/drive out setup. Reinforce the walls around the opening and the flooring. I would upgrade to 3/4" plywood floor for weight distribution.

beaker1214
04-03-2008, 03:23 PM
I would def say that seems like alot of work ..... campers are built soo cheep these days and that would take away alot of the structural strength by cutting a door into the wall, I used to work at a camper dealership and Ive never seen this done before or anyone brave enough to try it... but then again im not saying it couldnt be done... personally I agree w some of the other people and would look into selling the camper and buying a enclosed trailer and make ya a living quarters in it.

tri5ron
04-06-2008, 01:47 PM
would you mind posting pics of your set up just for a rough idea? thanks [/B][/QUOTE]

I'll try to find some pics, or take some new ones.