PDA

View Full Version : alignment specs

bearair
03-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Did a search and can't find any recommended alignment specs or methods. Found one reference to a method, but not the method itself. I've got a set of +1 JD a-arms on the way and want to set them up correctly when I'm done. Picked them up (lightly used) on ebay along with a set of new, longer stainless lines and stainless tie rods. Not bad for $225. They are the race versions not the economy versions.

I'm wondering if I can get the alignment machine at work to operate on a short wheelbase? I know the specs aren't in the database!

hornetgod13
03-31-2008, 11:33 AM
I run -2 degrees of camber and toe in of 1/8 to 3/8 of an inch.

bearair
03-31-2008, 12:12 PM
So you run toe in and not the factory toe out? Also, do you have link to a method for adjusting it that can be done at home? If not, I'll try our alignment machine at work out of curiousity. Thanks!

hornetgod13
03-31-2008, 12:42 PM
Not sure who told you that factory specs were Toe Out. According to my Honda 400EX Service Manual, it's actually Toe In 2/5" +/- 3/5".

I went to Home Depot and bought a large angle finder to set my camber at -2 degrees.

bearair
03-31-2008, 02:53 PM
I've aligned a lot of cars and trucks over the years and also my last four wheeler. When I picked up my new bike a month ago, it was toed out! Maybe they need to check them better at the factory. It was obvious when I loaded the bike. Quite a bit of toe out actually.

Toe out actually aids turn in response. Makes the bike a bit less stable at speed. Scrubs the tires a bit. Used to work on off road buggies and they are usually toed out a bit along with four wheelers on the dunes. Makes them turn in quicker and makes it take less effort to hold a turn. A bit of turn in makes vehicles more stable and makes them turn in a bit slower. ALso makes them push in a turn slightly depending on ackerman.

Most factory cars use a bit of toe in. A lot of SUV's and AWD's use a slight amount of toe out. I'm talking .15 degree per side or .3 degrees total. Not much. Rears are almost always toed in slightly.

Thanks for the specs on the 400! I think I'm going to try using the Hunter rack to set it up. It should work.

400exMO
03-31-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
I run -2 degrees of camber and toe in of 1/8 to 3/8 of an inch.
that's where I go from

Ntensweapon
03-31-2008, 03:52 PM
bearir..when you referrred to off road buggies. are you talking about r/c cars? I used to race r/c alot. I always set my cars up with toe out. didn't matter if it was a buggy, truck, sedan, or 1/12. naturally i set my quad up the same.

bearair
03-31-2008, 05:30 PM
I raced R/C for a while, but the buggies I was talking about were off road buggies and off road VW bajas. Most of them I was doing engine/tranny work on, but I did some front end work and they were always set up toed out for quick turn in. Works really well in sand and gravel.

The VW's didn't have enough ackerman to work well toed in evidently, so by setting them up toed out, you compensated for the steering angles. I used to have a really nice 68 Baja VW that was set up with very slight toe out as it was street driven also. The dune buggies and off road VW's were a bit more agressive with it. It does tend to make them want to wander at higher speeds (highway speed or higher) so you had to be careful. Driving in high wind or getting passed by semis was an interesting experience. Of course that was bad anyway in a VW bug... ;)