PDA

View Full Version : help!! urgent help needed on hotcam install

400ex00
11-23-2002, 12:29 PM
just installed my new hotcam stage 1, removed the decompressor and the plunger and spring. adjusted the
valves and the timing was on as good as i could tell. problem
is i have a extremly bad ticking noise the entire time the motor
is running. very loud and noticeable. i dont believe this is a normal noise. please someone reply urgently with any of your
suggestions. could my timing be off a tooth, valves not adjusted
properly. its driving me crazy.

433rd
11-23-2002, 04:26 PM
Sounds like the valves are out of adjustment. After the break in time (about 20 min. run time with the new cam) they will need to re adjusted to compensate for the initial wear from the break in period.

Also, since the cam is more aggressive than the stocker, you will hear more valve train noise, this is normal. Another point worth mentioning, when you are riding, you are wearing a helmet (I hope!) and it will drowned out a lot of the valve train noise. When you are running it in say, a garage without a helmet on, you will notice the sounds from the valve train much more so. 400EX's will have some valve train noise when it is warmed up regardless of valve lash or cam.

For the most part, don't worry, just adjust your valves again and you should be good to go. It sounds like you installed it correctly. For the most part, if you didn't, you would have noticed more serious problems within the first few moments of run time and it would be much more serious than the valve train ticking.

HTH

400ex00
11-23-2002, 09:28 PM
this noise just doesnt sound like your normal valve noise it is
extremly noisey. but i have ckd the timing 3 times now and the
valve adjustment. what valve adjustment are you guys running
on your stage 1 hotcams. i will try that and see what happens.
thanks for your help.

GoLikeHell
11-23-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by 400ex00
this noise just doesnt sound like your normal valve noise it is
extremly noisey. but i have ckd the timing 3 times now and the
valve adjustment. what valve adjustment are you guys running
on your stage 1 hotcams. i will try that and see what happens.
thanks for your help.

When I added a Stage 2 cam to my bike it was loud after te first start up. I then readjusted the valves again and it quieted down some. I noticed that my feeler gauges need to be bent to get a accurate reading.

Hope this helps
Mark

330EXman
11-23-2002, 10:36 PM
your valves are off like they were saying a big lumpy cam is alot different then stock and will make a new valve train noise but what you are hearing is most likeyl your valve clearence off,

it should be .005 of an inch make sure you use your feeler guages properly

GoLikeHell
11-24-2002, 12:03 AM
Use your Cam Card for the clearance specs. They are different then OEM specs.

Mark

400ex00
11-24-2002, 05:04 PM
thanks im going to try and readjust my valves and see if they quieten down any thanks for your replys. ill post and let you know how much it helps. it does sound like a valve adjustment
problem.