PDA

View Full Version : Correct shock length??

stever250r
03-31-2008, 09:42 AM
What length TCS shock would I need for a TRX 250R with +3 Houser A-Arms and how crucial would it be if I were to vary from the required length no more than 1/4"

trx400EXtreme
03-31-2008, 05:30 PM
i don't 1/4 of an inch will make a WHOLE lot of difference, but it's always good to have the right length. also, are the a arms long travel or standard travel +3's?

racernorris
03-31-2008, 07:41 PM
its not the over all length thats so critical, its the body and shaft length that matters the most, if the shock bodys are to short the frame will hit the ground when you land a jump,(if the body is to long the shock will bottom before the a-arms use all of there travel) the length of the shaft determinds the amount of travel. this is why u want the right shock for the application. call tcs and find out what they recomend, i can look up the length of an axis if that will help!

norris
quinn motorsports:macho

400exMO
03-31-2008, 08:25 PM
exactly like he said^
Also if a shock is to long your balljoints will bind causing them to prematurely wear.

stever250r
04-01-2008, 07:10 AM
I sure wish I would have understood that more yesterday.

I purchased a set of 19.5" TCS SCS LT shocks off of a 400ex to use on my 250R with +3 Houser LT arms.

Does anyone know the comparison between the two when it comes to the shock body and shaft length?

Colby@C&DRacing
04-01-2008, 08:16 AM
You don't need to know the length of the shock body, just the extended length of the shock and the amount of shaft travel. When you have those two numbers the can figure the colasped length of the shock. It is always best to take your own measurements for your atv with the tires and wheel you are going to use to get the most out of the shocks. Many shock manufactors just go by what the a-arm company tells them, not what is the best setup. Either way we can make those TCS shocks the proper length and stroke if they are not correct just give us a call 402-614-2508

stever250r
04-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks Colby,

Thats a relief. So if the overall shock length center eye to center eye is 19.5". How do I measure the shaft travel to get the collapsed length?

I am using +3 Houser LT with 4-1 offset front wheels.

How much to rebuild the shocks to the configuration that I need?

My PM is not working so please email me at

stephen.roark@sikorsky.com

Thanks for the help.

Colby@C&DRacing
04-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Just slide the bumper up on the shaft and measure the total length of the shaft from the very bottom to where it goes into the shock. That is your shaft travel. Take the extended length minus the shaft travel and that is the colasped length.