PDA

View Full Version : jetting.

kawi_rider_97
03-31-2008, 09:40 AM
I finally found an fcr carb from a yfz450, and I needed to know what I should jet it to. I cant test it myself by running it then doing a plug jet because I have to ride it for 30min to break in the cams and the rings, so I need a good base to start with before I can actually dial it in. I have hot cams the lasleeve 440 kit a 13:5:1 piston pro circuit t-4 exhaust a yfz intake setup and a rev max adjustable revbox. so if anyone knows anything post away, thanks.

samz
03-31-2008, 09:57 AM
Good luck! I just finished an Athena kit, web cams, valves, valve springs, and the same fcr on mine and jetting is a b*%$h! I started with a 45 pilot and a 170 main. Now i'm at a 48 pilot and a 180 main which should be too much but it is still showing signs of being lean. I have a 40 leak jet but just be sure your accelorator pump has been timed. Give me some feedback when you figure yours out!

cataway
03-31-2008, 12:19 PM
your more than likely lean on the needle and not the main.
i just came from a dyno pull with mine and a 160 main was right
on the 13 line with the needle slowing on the light side . my big surprise was the leak jet i went in with a #35 and the gragh said to give it more so i pluged it its now getting a full shot

samz
04-01-2008, 09:55 AM
So i pulled the plug after posting last and the whole thing is black! Little rich! I'm backing down to a 170 main and 45 pilot. By the way the needle is on the forth clip. This is what most people with this setup are running except they have a 35 leak jet and I have a 40. Good enough.

kawi_rider_97
04-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the reply guys im gonna go get the jets for mine today.

kawi_rider_97
04-01-2008, 11:04 AM
I have a few other questions to, what did you do about the TPS, and also I noticed you cant hook up the hot start due to clearance cause its hitting the upper motor mount without it in, any ideas? also where do you hook up the second fuel line. there are 2 coming from the petcock but i don't know where to put the second one on the carb.

cataway
04-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by kawi_rider_97
I have a few other questions to, what did you do about the TPS, and also I noticed you cant hook up the hot start due to clearance cause its hitting the upper motor mount without it in, any ideas? also where do you hook up the second fuel line. there are 2 coming from the petcock but i don't know where to put the second one on the carb.
there is a very good wright up on the tps ,do a search on that one
no the hot start will no longer be needed you can plug that one , if you have the hot start cable use the the part that screws in to
the crab , comes off the cable rather easily ,plug that and your good to go.

samz
04-01-2008, 07:13 PM
The wright up cataway is talking about is on z400central.com and it is what I did. It was as much work as doing the motorwork but it is totally worth it. It wind up looking like this

IMG]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn269/suziblue400/IMG_3437.jpg[/IMG]

It also shows how to add the idle control from the old carb

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn269/suziblue400/IMG_3432.jpg

Trust me you will want the idle control when tuning.

samz
04-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Sorry for those rediculous size pics. Heres the first one

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn269/suziblue400/IMG_3437.jpg

kawi_rider_97
04-03-2008, 10:00 PM
What did you do about the second gas line coming from the petcock? Also why do you need to use the idle control from the old carb? My fcr already has an idle control, and on the tps should I just not connect the tps and get a block off plate? and what kind of boot should I use to connect the carb to the head? sorry so many questions lol. I just don't know alot about 4-stroke carbs yet.

samz
04-04-2008, 04:15 PM
You just cap off the second line and also you should take the diaphram out and cut out the middle metal piece so you have enough fuel going to the carb (very simple). The tps and surrounding garbage has to go. You have to cut off the shaft inside and cut the cover plate out of the old cover. Look at my pic and that is what the wright up says to do on z400central and that guy had a great idea. I highly suggest looking at it and a couple of others in there. As for the boot it said on the other website to use the DRZe boot. I got one but it didn't work because the headstay was in the way. You can either get an edelbrock headstay or be like me and just heat and stretch the stock one. The stock one has an angle to it so that it doesn't hit the head stay and works perfectly. Do the search it is a great idea. Good luck!