PDA

View Full Version : Brake Repair

Badmammajamma
03-30-2008, 08:06 PM
I kept hearing a metal on metal sound from my front Brakes so I figured I'd pull them apart and see how they were lookin. The front pads are shot so the piston is pushing itself out causing the rubbing. I figure while I've got it all apart I'll go ahead and re-do the front brakes, meaning that I'm going to drain the old fluid out, clean up the calipers etc...and put all new pads/fluid in.

What I want to know is the proper way to go about adding the new fluid. I know you're supposed to bleed them etc. but how do I do that? Is it anything like bleeding a car's brakes?

muddrunner44
04-06-2008, 12:38 PM
It’s just like bleeding a cars breaks for the most part .If you have completely emptied the system you might open the bleeders on both calipers and fill the reservoir and let gravity fill the lines then close the bleeders .I start on the left side because it’s the farthest from the reservoir have someone pump up the breaks hold it, open the bleeder in till the fluid stops flowing tighten it back ,release the break lever and repeat until you get all of the air out of the line then move to the other side , make sure you keep the reservoir full while your bleeding or ya got to start all over. The owner’s manual says to use Honda DOT 4 break fluid or a fluid of equal quality and performance
Hope this helped ya out