PDA

View Full Version : 250r ticking noise

yamasaki_125
11-23-2002, 12:23 PM
i just got an '86 R and it runs great and is newly rebuilt, but it has a weird ticking noise from somewhere in the motor...... it isnt piston slap, it is a deeper sound than that.... but i dont know what it is. could it be the counterbalancer? or what?

Moded86R
11-23-2002, 12:42 PM
I would need a little more info than just a ticking sound in the motor.

When my counterbalancer went it sounded like something near the water pump was grinding.And of course it was shaking to.

When does it make the ticking sound?And where does it sound like it's coming from?Clutch side,stator side inbetween?

joeroadking
11-23-2002, 04:36 PM
there should be no ticking noise period on R it is telling you something is wrong, my advice is to take it apart,before riding or running it any more, visually inspect clutch, counter balancer bearing holder, piston rings and if you do not see it then you should start tearing it down until you find something

Extremeracer167
11-23-2002, 04:38 PM
tick tick tick tick BOOM! That sucks!!

Troy86250r
11-23-2002, 05:07 PM
Mine has always made a ticking noise, since I bought it almost a year ago. Runs great though, and I did a top end on it and it still does it. I just thought it was a normal thing to get engine noise like that.

joeroadking
11-23-2002, 05:10 PM
I have had 3 250rs 4wheelers and 2 250r 3wheelers and never heard a tick ever. somethimg is wrong

Ricky g
11-23-2002, 05:47 PM
I know what you mean my R made a noise like that all the time, there was nothing wrong with it, it ran 80 mph and lasted forever till the rings had to be replaced.

RG

AndrewRRR
11-23-2002, 07:04 PM
This is common in 250r's. It's been a while since I read about it so I forget what exactly it is, but if it's the normal 250r tranny ticking sound it shouldn't hurt anything. If you are anal about your quad and want to make sure it runs like a greased fart like I do, tear it apart and look for wear. Whatever is rubbing will show freshly rubbed metal. A shop manual or an experienced tranny/case guy would be a good idea.
My R had the same ticking noise. When I went to a big bore stroker, the only thing in the bottom end that was replaced was the crank (replaced with a stroker), the clutch basket (replaced with a hinson), and the clutch actuator (updated to 89 style). I no longer have the ticking noise. Of course the cases were split and everything was taken apart since the cases had to be notched, so I dont know for sure if what was replaced was what cured the noise.

joeroadking
11-23-2002, 07:38 PM
man andrew nice rides have any pics,please post

yamasaki_125
11-23-2002, 10:32 PM
it is more of a knocking than a ticking i think..... and it does it all of the time. i am going to try to get the counterbalancer rebuilt sometime this week so i will see if that helps... and how much is the clutch actuator from an '89? maybe i will try that while i am at it

joeroadking
11-23-2002, 10:38 PM
I think all the parts to convert to the newer stlye actuater are like $55.00 think I saw them on the nacs sight as a kit

AndrewRRR
11-26-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by joeroadking
I think all the parts to convert to the newer stlye actuater are like $55.00 think I saw them on the nacs sight as a kit

Just go to a honda dealership. Honda makes an actual part number for the conversion kit. I forget what it is but if you ask a competent honda dealer they will know it. I believe it was $60 when I bought mine (from an overpriced dealer) before my discount.
And here are some pics of my bikes.

AndrewRRR
11-26-2002, 04:46 PM
Here's Casper (LT250r/GPZ600R)

250rmike
11-26-2002, 06:45 PM
ill make a bet that its coming from the stator side. mine was making the same noise(now that i think about it, it still is) but me and my dad ran it and listend to it with me dads stethescope thing for motors and it was coming from my stator but there was nothing wrong with it.

11-26-2002, 09:51 PM
when mine ticked i always thoght it was the water pump. figured since the way the impeller engages the crank and the crank switching strokes it would make slack in the grove and then catch back up.