PDA

View Full Version : Powering a trailer

CDALEMX301
03-30-2008, 03:43 PM
I have an enclosed trailer I am looking to add power to. Basically I want to run some lights maybe a fan or laptop things like that. I have been looking into running it off of a few deep cycle batteries with power inverters... The reason for this is pretty much so I dont need to bring a generator around and its a lot quieter... Does anyone have any expierance doing anything like this? any tips etc? I am looking at both flurescent(sp) lighting as well as maybe low voltage lighting to convserve some power....anyone have any tips about any of this possibly?

wvspeedfreak
03-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Pm KH426 on here.He has a big battery set up in his trailer that he runs lights,radio,etc. off of.I am sure he can give you some info.

XXX -rider
03-30-2008, 06:11 PM
1 word "inverter" read up on it .....that a few good marine type batteries !!

CDALEMX301
03-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Anybody use those inverter generators that are supposed to be real quiet? And anybody have any idea about size in terms of a generator trying to way all my options

Outlaw 50
03-31-2008, 10:39 AM
What time frame are you thinking about for electric usage?

For very short periods of time the battery/inverter deal will work. It will however drain the batteries rather quickly and the solution to that is more batteries.
With more batteries comes more weight and maintenance.

Your next solution is a generator. Honda makes some very quiet and light weight generators from 1000-7000 watts. You might find one that will suit your needs better than the battery deal.

Here's some info from Honda Power Equipment: http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/gensup.asp

Check out the video section for recreational generators, just click the link called "recreational generators"

Here's a page with a calculator to determine how much wattage you will need to run the items you are going to put in your trailer:
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/genwat.asp

I'm thinking about the same this you are for my trailer and these are the best options I've found so far.

The 2000 watt generator weighs in about the same as one deep cycle battery and runs an easy 8 hrs on a tank of fuel.

bulkdriverlp
03-31-2008, 11:01 AM
if you want to run a laptop youll need a generator. one of them little hondas are so quiet you can hardly hear em run. look up the draw on your electronics on the honda website and add the amounts together to get the right size generator. the batteries and inverter thing is guna be a waste of time. if you want lights for now you can go to junkyard and get some automotive tail lights and hook them up to a bettery.

smr
03-31-2008, 11:11 AM
I use both generator and battery/invertor. Depending on the conditions. Both work great. If your just running lights and a laptop then you will be fine with the battery/invertor. If the battery does go flat you can always use the charging system off your truck to recharge the battery.

If you gonna power anything else I would recomend a generator.

CDALEMX301
03-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Seems to me like a 1000w generator is going to be plenty for now I just don't know about the future...What size generator is everyone running and what are you running off of it...

smr
03-31-2008, 12:29 PM
I run a 5500 watt. It powers AC, lights, tv, microwave and Laptop. I only run the generator when it's needed. If we are just watching tv at night and we don't need heat or air I will just plung into my invertor.

XXX -rider
03-31-2008, 06:50 PM
some interesting reading ....

http://home.comcast.net/~ssauer40/cargomate/cargomate.html

klutch
03-31-2008, 11:57 PM
We love our Honda 2000 Generator it is soooo quiet....