PDA

View Full Version : Warrior top end rebuild

cowentz
03-30-2008, 03:26 PM
I just picked up a 98 warrior with a smoking problem. The guy replaced the valve seals thinking that was the problem and that didn't correct it. I am assuming it needs new piston and rings, and maybe a bore, I'll have to see after it is pulled apart. My question is can this be done with out taking out the entire motor, or is it much easier to just take out the whole thing. I have worked mostly on honda motors before. Thanks

keglassg
03-30-2008, 05:16 PM
i've never tried to do it with the motor in the frame becaue its not a lot of extra work to get the motor out. pull the fenders, drop the exhaust and a few misc wires and bolts and it pretty well slides out. yamaha did a good job designing it i think because it can be pulled in a half hour or 45 mins if you work fast. i think the hardest part is just gettin the airbox and carb out, after that, its a snap.

as far as building it is concerned, have you decided what you are gonna do to it?

cowentz
03-30-2008, 06:44 PM
I am more then likely just going to fix what is needed. If it needs a piston I will put a wiseco in it and maybe get a little higher compression. It is mainly for my wife for trails so i'm not looking to put too much money in it.

keglassg
03-30-2008, 08:31 PM
that is a good way to get a little more umph out of it and still keep the reliability of a stock engine. the first time i overhauled mine, i bored it 20 over and i didnt even have to rejet the carb, its such a small change that it doesnt need to be rejetted. the last time i rebuilt it i took it to 60 over and added the hot cam and the exhaust and the port and polish job. i had the rejet it then obviously, but it still seems to be a reliable machine for the most part. it is a little cold blooded now, and it never was before but i think that may be the cam.

if all you're gonna do is freshen it up, then i would just go with a small bore increase, if it even needs it, and throw in a new timing chain and gear while you got it apart.

cowentz
03-31-2008, 10:07 AM
We will see what it needs once I get in there. First I need to finish a top end on a blaster. I should be getting that cylinder back today or tomorrow. I wish the warrior was as easy to replace the top end as that blaster.

#17YFZRACER
04-10-2008, 04:41 PM
:chinese: