PDA

View Full Version : Power difference between the 04' - 08' ?

reptikes
03-30-2008, 05:32 AM
I have an 04' 450r. I rode an 07' LTR (cherry bomb and baffle out) last night and it had BALLS ! It felt like the first time i ever rode a 450. I'm thinking that if it had that much power, how much more does the 08' Hondas have over the 04's. I'm sticking with Honda, and if the 08's are that much more powerfull i'm getting one. What do you guys think?

reconranger
03-30-2008, 08:20 AM
I'm waiting for fuel injection! My Rancher 420 is FI, and it is absolutely superb....

The 04/05 has a narrower bore and longer stroke....plus it has an oil cooler! That tends to give you more low end torque, so these years should be the better trail quads...trouble is they geared them so darn high. You add in an HRC kit, and you will get more mid and top end as well!!!

The 06/08 have more of an "oversquare" piston/bore (very much like the dirt bike), so they like to rev. Plus, they got a new very excellent carburator. Still lots of bottom end here, but again the HRC kit will put you over on the top end.

For some reason, the Honda has gotten a reputation for being slow in stock form. DirtWheels did a 450 shootout, and they found that the Honda and Yamaha tied for both the best acceleration and best top speed....ahead of all the other 450's. The Honda got the nod for having the best low end power!!!

I picked the Honda because it is the king of long distance desert endurance racing (like Baja, Vegas to Reno, etc)!! If you aren't on a Honda (quad or dirt bike!), most likely you won't finish the race....much less win. All I know is, even in the wide open desert my 450 can go way faster than I usually ever care to go!

BlaineKaiser450
03-30-2008, 11:13 AM
i ride an 04 with a stock motor (full sys. airbox lid gone, jetted) and i rode an 06 450r with a full sys. no airbox lid and the HRC kit and honestly, the only difference i noticed was the 06 had great throttle response compared to mine

reptikes
03-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys. Anybody have an 08' that has been on an 04'?
I most likely get an 09' if they keep the carb, but will get an 08' if they go to efi.

reptikes
04-01-2008, 07:53 PM
BBBB U U MM MM PPPP !!
B B U U M M M M P P !!
BBBB U U M M PPPP !!
B B U U M M P !!
BBBB UUUu M M P
!!

turbo j
04-02-2008, 01:12 AM
I think the "great throttle response" on the 08 is due to the higher stock compression on the 06 and newer. The bore and stroke sizes might make a slight difference between the two generations but the biggest diff is the higher compression and the carb.

TheNewn
04-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by reconranger

For some reason, the Honda has gotten a reputation for being slow in stock form. DirtWheels did a 450 shootout, and they found that the Honda and Yamaha tied for both the best acceleration and best top speed....ahead of all the other 450's. The Honda got the nod for having the best low end power!!!

I picked the Honda because it is the king of long distance desert endurance racing (like Baja, Vegas to Reno, etc)!! If you aren't on a Honda (quad or dirt bike!), most likely you won't finish the race....much less win. All I know is, even in the wide open desert my 450 can go way faster than I usually ever care to go!

The Honda and the Yamaha tied for TOP speed, not acceleration/getting their the fastest.

Desert racing? DS650 For the win!

BadinBlack
04-02-2008, 09:44 AM
i have both years and hrc kit for hrc kit the 06 is way faster.

reconranger
04-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by TheNewn
Desert racing? DS650 For the win!

You may be stuck on some island, but you do still have the internet! Check the results of any of the big non-stop long distance endurance races like Baja or Vegas to Reno, and there have been nothing but Honda wins for many years now....and most of the top 10 will always be Hondas!

And don't say that it is because Honda supports desert racing and the other factories don't, because Honda only feilds one or at most two teams and the rest are privateers....and guess what the privateers pick....Honda!!!

Oh yeah, check the dirt bike results too while you are at it. The CRF450X and the TRX450R (same basic engine) are the absolute kings!!!

As for Dakar, it's a long race but it isn't non-stop like the American races are, so you can rebuild your quad every night....it is in reality more a test of the rider not the durability of the machine.

TheNewn
04-02-2008, 03:37 PM
I took your advice and looked up some Baja 1000 results.

2004: DS650 was ridden by 4 out of the 6 finishers. claiming 1st 3rd 5th and 6th. the other 2 atv's in the remaining slots were 450R's.

As for the Dakar race, no matter which way you look at it, its a Brutal race.

The DS650 took Can-Am to first place in 2004, 2005, 2006 (all top 3 were 650's), and 3 were in the top 5 in 2007 (beaten by a banshee and an LTR450).

There are 15 stages to the Dakar race ranging from 120 miles to 320 miles each. It's not a cake walk. The DS is a fantastic Desert racing quad. Can-Am even released a BAJA X version of the DS.

The only unfortunate thing about the DS is a lack of reverse...Dumb on Can-Am's part. oh well. they're not making them anymore anyway.

oh well, this is getting away from the original topic. whoops.