PDA

View Full Version : 450r Mainenance

07trx400ex
03-29-2008, 06:25 PM
I have a 400ex right now, and am thinking of switching over to a 450r.

Would someone please give me any details of any additional maintenance required.

I already clean air filter after every ride and change oil every 5-10 hours.

I know the valves are ALOT harder to adjust and wanted some input on how often they need to be adjusted.

Basically, how long can you ride a 450r with just basic maintenance without anything going wrong?

87HONDATRX250X
11-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by 07trx400ex
I have a 400ex right now, and am thinking of switching over to a 450r.

Would someone please give me any details of any additional maintenance required.

I already clean air filter after every ride and change oil every 5-10 hours.

I know the valves are ALOT harder to adjust and wanted some input on how often they need to be adjusted.

Basically, how long can you ride a 450r with just basic maintenance without anything going wrong?

Yeah i got the same questions.

fmftrx300ex
11-23-2009, 07:58 PM
depends if its just a stock motor and maybe a pipe you can prolly go quite a while if your running a cam a box and alota other work ur gunna need alot more anention. but yea my z400 has not had the valves done or any engine work its a 2003 with a pipe still runs great no smoke and hardly any valvetrain noise

z400bs
11-24-2009, 06:56 AM
It really depends on how much you ride it. If your just recreational riding, its not going to be that bad. If your racing its ganna be more. As far as valves go itl let you know when it needs to be adjusted, the first sign is it wont start as easy. I change my oil about every 2-3 rides depending on how hard and long i was riding. The 400ex defently has a more bullet proof motor though. but look how much faster the 450r revs!:D

87HONDATRX250X
11-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by z400bs
It really depends on how much you ride it. If your just recreational riding, its not going to be that bad. If your racing its ganna be more. As far as valves go itl let you know when it needs to be adjusted, the first sign is it wont start as easy. I change my oil about every 2-3 rides depending on how hard and long i was riding. The 400ex defently has a more bullet proof motor though. but look how much faster the 450r revs!:D

I think im just going to end up getting a 400ex. If i get more serious about racing i can all ways upgrade.

z400bs
11-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by 87HONDATRX250X
I think im just going to end up getting a 400ex. If i get more serious about racing i can all ways upgrade. yeah the 400ex is a really good all around bike, and you can throw on a pipe and maybe drop in a cam in it will run pretty good.

87HONDATRX250X
11-25-2009, 08:19 AM
yeah the 400ex is a really good all around bike, and you can throw on a pipe and maybe drop in a cam in it will run pretty good.

Im looking at a yellow 2005 400ex. Here is whats on it. I can post pictures to if you want. Tell me what you think for racing. P.S. i can get some +3 a-arms for about $200 and some 450r shocks for about $100.

-FMF power bomb header
-FMF titanium 4 pipe
-pro armor bull horn front bumper
-full skid plates
-2 sets of rims and tires with an extra set of race rail perrelli tires
-dyno jets
-steal nerf bars
-promotion twist throttle
-protaper handle bars with pillow grips
-hand guards
-new chain and sprockets
-new axle bearing

z400bs
11-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Im looking at a yellow 2005 400ex. Here is whats on it. I can post pictures to if you want. Tell me what you think for racing. P.S. i can get some +3 a-arms for about $200 and some 450r shocks for about $100.

-FMF power bomb header
-FMF titanium 4 pipe
-pro armor bull horn front bumper
-full skid plates
-2 sets of rims and tires with an extra set of race rail perrelli tires
-dyno jets
-steal nerf bars
-promotion twist throttle
-protaper handle bars with pillow grips
-hand guards
-new chain and sprockets
-new axle bearing
Sounds like a pretty nice bike, how much is he asking for it? and what type of racing are you going to be doing? stock 450 shocks are defently better then stock 400 ex shocks and will work for trails and riding. But racing wise they will kill your endurance. You can always send them somewhere and get them rebuilt and re sprung. We have this z 400 except for with stock rims and tires for sale right now for 2,800 right now if you are interested. And possibly trade for your 300ex and some money.

87HONDATRX250X
11-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Sounds like a pretty nice bike, how much is he asking for it? and what type of racing are you going to be doing? stock 450 shocks are defently better then stock 400 ex shocks and will work for trails and riding. But racing wise they will kill your endurance. You can always send them somewhere and get them rebuilt and re sprung. We have this z 400 except for with stock rims and tires for sale right now for 2,800 right now if you are interested. And possibly trade for your 300ex and some money.

Racing i guess? haha i dont really know still looking around. How much does it cost to get springs re sprung? Thats a good deal but i live in Canada. Im hopping to get it for around $3500 or $3000. Its barely used also it seems quads are more expensive in Canada for some reason.

z400bs
11-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Racing i guess? haha i dont really know still looking around. How much does it cost to get springs re sprung? Thats a good deal but i live in Canada. Im hopping to get it for around $3500 or $3000. Its barely used also it seems quads are more expensive in Canada for some reason. Oh thats cool im down in virginia. long ways away. ha. but for the front it should cost around 300 to 400. Gt thunder does this, or the site sponser c and d racing does. there are plenty of others that do it too i just cant think of them off the top of my head. they can dual rate the springs, revalve them and service them, and extend the travel if you get long travel a-arms.

87HONDATRX250X
11-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Oh thats cool im down in virginia. long ways away. ha. but for the front it should cost around 300 to 400. Gt thunder does this, or the site sponser c and d racing does. there are plenty of others that do it too i just cant think of them off the top of my head. they can dual rate the springs, revalve them and service them, and extend the travel if you get long travel a-arms.

Wow $400 eh. Would i need to do that if i got +3 a-arms? Wont it make the shocks feel a bit softer?

z400bs
11-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Wow $400 eh. Would i need to do that if i got +3 a-arms? Wont it make the shocks feel a bit softer? if you get long travel a-arms they can make your stock shocks fit them, if they are standard travel aarms your stock shocks will work fine.

87HONDATRX250X
11-26-2009, 06:13 PM
if you get long travel a-arms they can make your stock shocks fit them, if they are standard travel aarms your stock shocks will work fine.

There standard i believe. Is there a way to tell if they are or not?

z400bs
11-26-2009, 06:31 PM
There standard i believe. Is there a way to tell if they are or not? from pictures it would probably be hard, its just where the shock mount is. long travel = farther down the a-arm standard travel = closer to the middle. the person selling them should know.