PDA

View Full Version : smoking problem

jonb45
03-29-2008, 04:32 PM
I've asked this before but the problem seems to be getting worse.

My bike does not smoke no matter how hard you rev it. But after you let off, it smokes some.

Could this be a valve seal or is it ring blow by?

Just trying to figure if I need a rebuild or just a valve job.

TRXRacer1
03-29-2008, 04:59 PM
I would guess valve seals but do a compression test. If it's within specs it's probably the seals.

drew416ex
03-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
I would guess valve seals but do a compression test. If it's within specs it's probably the seals.

X2

jonb45
03-29-2008, 08:47 PM
How much are valve seals? How hard are they to change. I've only worked on two strokes since that's what I used to ride. I've never worked on a head assembly. What's the best place to buy these at? I do have a service manual.

j450rking
03-29-2008, 08:55 PM
it seems like the valves seal to me but do the comp test and if it's good then do the valve seals. the 4 strokes are a pain compared to the 2 stroke engines. it takes me like 2 hours to rebuild a 400ex engine and like 30 min for my r engine that i just put in. the timming is the biggest thing you have to deal with but as long as you follow the manual you really can't go wrong. just read everything about the top end 3 times and you should be good. i would just get seals from www.bikebandit .com or www.servicehonda.com they are honda parts so you can't go wrong

BigBore24
03-29-2008, 08:58 PM
i think i got a whole set for like $20. not too bad to change. i had my head off already so just had to remove the keepers from the top of the valve springs and pull the springs off and change the seals. a valve spring tool makes the job much easier, but i worked my stock springs back on with my hands. a little tougher with the kibble whits tho.

UNBROKEN
03-30-2008, 01:18 PM
mine did the same thing now im getting new piston/ rings , do a compression test as stated above