PDA

View Full Version : clutch slipping in 5th

LT250Racer609
03-29-2008, 12:20 PM
my clutch slips in 5th gear only...pulls hard 1-4. I replaced the plates and springs and it didnt help at all....only thing I noticed was that the lock washer under the inner basket nut was sheard off the the inner basket wobbles in and out...I havent rode it since I found this issue but would this car only slipping in 5th gear?? What could it be??

2muchquad
04-04-2008, 10:19 PM
What gearing are you running?

jrspawn
04-05-2008, 10:48 AM
If a clutch is going to slip, its going to start with doing it in a high gear. Its the closest to a 1:1 ratio and puts the biggest load on the clutch. But you should be able to feel it in 4th and 3rd. A few things to start with, did you make sure to soak your plates before installing them? Did you install both new friction and steel plates? And are you positive they are installed correct? Is your cable good and not binding/frayed. And finally are you positive its the clutch and not the transmission itself? The gear set for 5th sometimes has issues with the dogs wearing and causing it to "slip" but its actually skipping. It will feel similiar to a clutch slipping. Normally 3rd and 5th gears will be the issue as they work in conjuction along with forks.

If everything clutch wise was installed right and and is good there, and you are ONLY having issues in 5th, i can about Guarrantee you that your gonna need to split it open and replace at least 5th, 3rd, and the shift forks.

thank you
Justin

LT250Racer609
04-05-2008, 06:49 PM
I have had 2 different clutch setups in my quad trying to solve the issue, and no matter what I do clutch wise, the slip stays the same in 5th gear...

I have a Mangura Hydrolic clutch, so I dont have any clutch cable....

im pretty much set on thinking I hafto take the motor apart and replace 5th gear and the shift fork......Never had a 426 apart tho.

jrspawn
04-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Yup, if youve been through two good clutches and same issue, the problem IS 5th and 3rd and the fork. What happens is the 5th gear dogs get a Very slight wear on them(sometimes you woulnt even notice it by the eye) and the dogs lock out on the 3rd gear. Under power the dogs will slip on the other gear, but doing it somewhat smooth leaving you to think its the clutch. And on top of all this the your fork with get wear. This is a somewhat known issue with a small amount of these engines. The rumor was yamaha did not properly treat 5th gear in a certain run of production causing this problem. You are going to need to have the cases split and completely remove and disassemble the trans to go over everything. It can be a "fun" job:D While your in there you might as well freshen everything up.

Thank you
Justin

hontrx265r
04-06-2008, 09:36 AM
I had the same thing happen to me, for a minute I was mistaking it for a jetting issue. But quickly found because it was only in fifth that wasn't the case. It was indeed the fork, I replaced my whole trans because I had a spare new one. I have lots of parts though that are in excellent shape, I have several parts motors. you can pm me after you get it apart and I'll let you know if I have what your looking for.
Mike

LT250Racer609
04-06-2008, 04:21 PM
would it be easier to put the 4 spd transmission in it?? I hear alot of guys do that...

jrspawn
04-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by LT250Racer609
would it be easier to put the 4 spd transmission in it?? I hear alot of guys do that...

Your probably thinking of the 03 yz450f 4 speed engine. Ive never heard of anyone make a 426 a 4 speed.

Thank you
Justin

wilbur116
04-06-2008, 09:25 PM
I once told my doctor that my elbow hurt when I moved it a certain way. He told me to not move that way then. So stay out of 5th gear:D

LT250Racer609
04-07-2008, 03:48 PM
I have been staying out of 5th gear.....