PDA

View Full Version : Idle, how do you change it?!

Brauap
03-29-2008, 09:22 AM
I want to raise the idle on my 400. But I am not sure how. I looked my my Clymer, but it never even metioned it! Is it the lil screw thats under the carb w/ the long "wire" that goes into the carb. or is it on the throttle cable some where? As a side not, its a twist throttle.

Thank you

Honda#4
03-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Just like ya said it's the screw with the hose on it, it's on the choke side of the carb.

Brauap
03-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Alright, thats what I thought, but wanted to make sure before I got messing with everything. Is it real sincitive?

trx400EXtreme
03-29-2008, 09:36 AM
you definately notice a differecne for every half a turn or so.

Brauap
03-29-2008, 09:41 AM
ok, should it be running when I change it?

trx400EXtreme
03-29-2008, 09:57 AM
yes...... and just incase you have this problem, which you probably wont.... if for some reason it doesn't cange at all even with like 2 turns, it's because that little hose came of at the carb. if you can't get it back on, get a pair of needle nose and twist it manually. it's easy to find, just follow where the hose went.

03-29-2008, 03:34 PM
when you do this, make sure the bike is warmed up. i would only go 1/4 turn at a time. after each turn, give the throttle a quick blip and then let it smooth out at idle again...you don't want to go too high...why do you want to do this? it will not make the bike perform any better, just idle higher

TRXRacer1
03-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Brauap, with our style of carbs you can adjust them while running and don't need to do anything special like hold the throttle up to adjust it. It is smart to blip the throttle to check your settings. You can notice a difference with even 1/8 of a turn.

A little FYI here, on an older style adjustment where there is a pin touching the slide you would not want to touch it without holding the throttle up or it can gouge the slide and permanently damage it.

rcatvrider
03-29-2008, 08:17 PM
All you are doing is basically screwing in a pin which opens up the throttle, nothing special needs to be done, it's simply a mechanical adjustment, does the same thing as pushing slightly on the throttle.

Increasing idle helps prevent stalls, and an idle set too low with decrease "snappiness".

Brauap
03-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks guys! You have been soo much help! The reason I need to adjust it because when I set to get to race (cars) it wants to die, and thats a pain, becuase my batt. want to die, and I can't keep pushing the start button. Question about batterys......... how do you know when their time's almost up? (almost dead) And I don't mean need to charge, need to replace, becuase it is worn?

rcatvrider
03-29-2008, 08:44 PM
If it doesnt have the power to start your quad after riding then you probably need a new one. If it doesnt hold a charge for long it's probably no good either. I had one that would not start once stalled no matter how long I had ridden. Replaced it and was very happy. You can let is sit in any weather and it turns the engine over with ease.