PDA

View Full Version : which exhaust?

elmer91
03-29-2008, 07:29 AM
so i now have me a 400ex, and it needs a exhaust. needs a full system. i am going after for the muffler, and unsure about the header. should i go stock for that or aftermarket? and which pipe should i get? i want something that will sound good, and will be cheap.

TRXRacer1
03-29-2008, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by elmer91
so i now have me a 400ex, and it needs a exhaust. needs a full system. i am going after for the muffler, and unsure about the header. should i go stock for that or aftermarket? and which pipe should i get? i want something that will sound good, and will be cheap. Check out Lexx at Rocky Mountain. Well made pipe that sounds and looks great for $199. I'd stick with the stock head pipe unless you're going big bore.

UNBROKEN
03-29-2008, 07:52 AM
im runnin a white brothers e series withstock head pipe, hmf is good and popular but a little on the loud side.. here look on ebay and find systems cheap or go with a slip on with stock header:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/400ex-exhaust_W0QQ_nkwZ400exQ20exhaust

Brauap
03-29-2008, 09:04 AM
X2, I have a wb e-series s/o. Its great I think, extremly cheep, sounds AWESOME! and its fully adjustible. But the only thing yo have to worrie about is the mid pipe braking off the inner mesh tube, so if you choose to get one, just weld the back plate to the midpipe, that way it will NOT brake. I give my e-series

B --preformance
C --quality
A++ -- price

I recemend it aslong as you can get it welded. Either wise, get a Lexx, a new company, there pretty cheep, sound great, and great quality.

elmer91
03-29-2008, 09:28 AM
i have looked at WB, but they are kinda hard to find, with them going out of business. and i would like to order from the local shop, i know them down there, and get a discount. i have talked to a few people, and they have said to get hmf. specifically, the sport edition.

Brauap
03-29-2008, 09:47 AM
:rolleyes: a ton of people have them, and there LOUD. their S.O.S. quiet core my ...! Their soo common, and I guess they brake at the can, after a few flips and roll - overs. i dunno.. I read that on the other thread. But the yoshi are great but expensive, but a++ quality and looks. The Lexx can be quietier that the HMF w/ the q-core, but louder w/o the q-core. Plus lexx is more than 50 bucks less!

elmer91
03-29-2008, 10:17 AM
i thought the same thing. everyone has one. i know what they sound like, and dont mind the noise. i can get the hmf for about $200. i really want a yosh, but am too cheap.

03-29-2008, 11:14 AM
full system headers on a stock motor only give you .5 - 1HP difference over just the slip on. Is an extra $200 or so worth 1 HP? It is if you are going to get some engine mods. Then that 1HP could be 2 or 3HP. Some full system will actually have less HP than a slip on, on a stock motor. If your going to do engine mods get the full. If not stay with stock and get a slip on.

elmer91
03-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
full system headers on a stock motor only give you .5 - 1HP difference over just the slip on. Is an extra $200 or so worth 1 HP? It is if you are going to get some engine mods. Then that 1HP could be 2 or 3HP. Some full system will actually have less HP than a slip on, on a stock motor. If your going to do engine mods get the full. If not stay with stock and get a slip on.

i have decided on a stock header, with a slip on. this bike is gonna stay pretty much stock.

Brauap
03-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Cool, lexx's are 170. By the way, loud isn't always good. HMF Made their q-core S.O.S. which means SAVE OUR SPORT! Having a loud pipe on the trails just gives out sport a bad rep, because 1 ...hole chose to be an idiot and wanted a loud pipe, so they think, wow, what jerks. So, then maybe later their kids say, hey mom, het dad, could I go quad riding w. my buddy? And since they got that bad image in their head.. same goes w/ helmets!!

Use your head! Loud pipes for races, quiet for trails! Also, with my stock quiet, do you know how many animals I saw in W.V.?! I got upto 10ft away from 4 deer! But they didn't care because I was quiet with/o spooking them w/... WOOOM WOOMMM BRRRAAAAAPPPPPPP.. do you understand? I mean I love the loud pipes too, but there is a time for them... well, hope you understand, and just let it all soak in......:ermm:

Ru5h1n6
03-29-2008, 01:03 PM
http://www.ctracing.com/PD_ct%20photos/dirt_wheels_march_2001.htm

dirt wheels shootout of all exhaust available at that time for 400ex..

i have the WB E-Series full system.. its pretty loud though..

elmer91
03-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
Cool, lexx's are 170. By the way, loud isn't always good. HMF Made their q-core S.O.S. which means SAVE OUR SPORT! Having a loud pipe on the trails just gives out sport a bad rep, because 1 ...hole chose to be an idiot and wanted a loud pipe, so they think, wow, what jerks. So, then maybe later their kids say, hey mom, het dad, could I go quad riding w. my buddy? And since they got that bad image in their head.. same goes w/ helmets!!

Use your head! Loud pipes for races, quiet for trails! Also, with my stock quiet, do you know how many animals I saw in W.V.?! I got upto 10ft away from 4 deer! But they didn't care because I was quiet with/o spooking them w/... WOOOM WOOMMM BRRRAAAAAPPPPPPP.. do you understand? I mean I love the loud pipes too, but there is a time for them... well, hope you understand, and just let it all soak in......:ermm:

i understand this completely. i dont want a super loud pipe, like you would see in the races, but if it is on the louder side, i wont mind. i just want a good sounding pipe, and would like it to be louder than stock, but not too loud.

Brauap
03-29-2008, 01:11 PM
oohhh, alright. The WB's can be as loud as HMF, but as quiet as stock, more disks, louder/more top end. Less disks, quietier/more bottom end.

Ru5h1n6
03-29-2008, 01:17 PM
i have no discs on my E-series and its pretty damn loud. but i also have the over sized headpipe (dunno if that affects anything)..

comparison: i had a honda 300 4x4 (TANK) and i took the baffler out one day. well the 440 was louder w/the WB on it than the 300 w/no muffler

Brauap
03-29-2008, 01:29 PM
haha.. of course its loud, its like 105dbs, because it is free flowing like that, try putting just 1 in. ;)

Ru5h1n6
03-29-2008, 01:36 PM
why is it that the muffler gets louder the more discs you add? seems like it should be the other way around..

UNBROKEN
03-29-2008, 01:44 PM
id get a used e series or hmf for slipons over a new lexx, that exhaust wasnt that impressive IMO , theres a few e series on ebay going for a reasnable price ...

elmer91
03-29-2008, 03:43 PM
so i have been suggested the e series, and the lexx. the lexx looks decent, and the e series looks good, but i looked at it at work, and it was on the higher side, even for a discontinued item. i would like to order the exhaust from my work, and we can get most brands. i want to keep the price about $200, but i do get a discount, so the retail can appear above that. if this matters, this bike is going to be used for trails, and taken to the track maybe once or twice a year.

03-29-2008, 03:54 PM
I say HMF. If you cant get the best (Curtis Sparks) why not get 2nd to best (HMF). The HMF is pretty darn cheap and is constantly winning shootouts and being the favorite exhaust year after year.

bearair
03-29-2008, 06:47 PM
The Lexx is $170-180 on ebay. I paid less than $190 shipped. It's a nice sounding pipe and comes with the spark arrestor/quiet core in it. Makes a bit more noise than stock but not a ton. It's really decent for trail riding and sounds great when it's wide open without being obnoxious. Was out riding last weekend and got within 100 yards of a small herd of wild horses and they just stood there and watched me.

Went riding today and my wife doesn't think it's loud at all and she was riding behind me most of the afternoon. We bought her a new '07 250EX today. It was the maiden voyage and she loved it!

TRXRacer1
03-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by bearair
The Lexx is $170-180 on ebay. I paid less than $190 shipped. It's a nice sounding pipe and comes with the spark arrestor/quiet core in it. Makes a bit more noise than stock but not a ton. It's really decent for trail riding and sounds great when it's wide open without being obnoxious. Was out riding last weekend and got within 100 yards of a small herd of wild horses and they just stood there and watched me.

Went riding today and my wife doesn't think it's loud at all and she was riding behind me most of the afternoon. We bought her a new '07 250EX today. It was the maiden voyage and she loved it! The Lexx has a very nice sound and like you said it is not obnoxious with the supplied quiet core. I like the tone of it better then my PC T4.

UNBROKEN
03-30-2008, 01:35 PM
i have the procircut t4 to i liked the tone but is loud and i couldnt find a quiet core thats why i went with whitebros,

elmer91
03-30-2008, 06:07 PM
i think i am just gonna go with the HMF. cant find anything else i would like to get for the price i want. i may spend another $50 to get the yosh. i dont know yet.

Hondamaster5505
03-30-2008, 06:36 PM
I have to disagree that the headers only add .5 to 1 horsepower.

If it weren't for the header on my DMC, I doubt it would make near as much power. Partly to the fact they are seperate headpipes all the way back to the muffler.

I vote DMC for an exhaust. Yeah, they are hard to find, but they do occasionally pop up on ebay, and I think they give just as good of a gain as HMF, if not better.

HMF's are good pipes and all, but everyone and their mother has one. I hate being the same as everyone else.

The DMC and Lexx really stand out because not many people have them.

elmer91
03-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
I have to disagree that the headers only add .5 to 1 horsepower.

If it weren't for the header on my DMC, I doubt it would make near as much power. Partly to the fact they are seperate headpipes all the way back to the muffler.

I vote DMC for an exhaust. Yeah, they are hard to find, but they do occasionally pop up on ebay, and I think they give just as good of a gain as HMF, if not better.

HMF's are good pipes and all, but everyone and their mother has one. I hate being the same as everyone else.

The DMC and Lexx really stand out because not many people have them.

i am just gonna keep teh headers stock, cheaper, and just dont really need aftermarket. i have looked at DMC, they seem cool, but like i have stated earlier, i want to order from the local shop. we dont carry some of the new stuff, like DMC, which i think is fairly new ( correct me if im wrong). i would love to get the duals from DMC, that would be sweet! but they are to much.

Hondamaster5505
03-30-2008, 06:46 PM
i am just gonna keep teh headers stock, cheaper, and just dont really need aftermarket. i have looked at DMC, they seem cool, but like i have stated earlier, i want to order from the local shop. we dont carry some of the new stuff, like DMC, which i think is fairly new ( correct me if im wrong). i would love to get the duals from DMC, that would be sweet! but they are to much.

no no no.

They stopped making the alien like 2-3 years ago. The dual ones, of course.

Their new exhaust is called the "afterburner" which is expensive as hell.

The Aliens pop up on ebay occasionally, and one full system went for $150 and the other $199

They're hard to find because they stopped making them.

Hondamaster5505
03-30-2008, 06:48 PM
So you don't get mixed up, this is the dual system they stopped making. Same side, but dual headers.

I purchased it from someone on this site for $95 shipped.

elmer91
03-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
no no no.

They stopped making the alien like 2-3 years ago. The dual ones, of course.

Their new exhaust is called the "afterburner" which is expensive as hell.

The Aliens pop up on ebay occasionally, and one full system went for $150 and the other $199

They're hard to find because they stopped making them.

i didnt know they stopped making them. i just remember seeing duals on a 250 raptor at the dealer show this year, so i just assumed they were out for other quads, and in production.

UNBROKEN
03-30-2008, 06:53 PM
heres is hondamasters DMC that would make everyones neighbors happy lol , dmC aliens sound like holowcans IMO but i do like the dual headers... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikM9bMbmgww

Hondamaster5505
03-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by UNBROKEN
heres is hondamasters DMC that would make everyones neighbors happy lol , dmC aliens sound like holowcans IMO but i do like the dual headers... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikM9bMbmgww

lol. They sound much better in person. Its a crappy camera, so it doesn't sound anything like it does in person.

But, it IS loud. Hence the reason I just bought a quiet core for it, lol.

Hondamaster5505
03-30-2008, 07:00 PM
i didnt know they stopped making them. i just remember seeing duals on a 250 raptor at the dealer show this year, so i just assumed they were out for other quads, and in production.

Well, depending on the quad, they make dual afterburners. Their new exhaust. But only on things like the raptor 700 and such. On the 400ex you can only get a regular style exhaust.

The alien, what i have, is their old one. It is a dual exhaust, but unlike conventional dual exhaust, its all on one side.

red_rider_069
03-31-2008, 02:49 PM
hey, i've heard about the exhaust doubts before.. about what to get and how good is it.. and how loud etc..

i would recomend you go to gopartsdirect.com.. i bought mine from there... they gave me a great deal.. prices are somtime lower than ebay.. and they give you full specs onw aht your are ordering.. so look up a few exhausts that you are intrested in then go to www.gopartsdirect.com and look for there 1800#... the website doesnt show everything that they have to offer.. you can call them and ask them for the exhaust and they will give you specs (i mean specs.. not jsut whats it made out of.. like most others tell you.. exact hp and stuff on most models..) about price range and quality.. heres the number 1-800-220-7005.. give em a call :D.. im sure you'll be satified.. i know i was... and let me know what you think!:p