PDA

View Full Version : Skidplates

BLU82
03-29-2008, 06:34 AM
I need a skid plate for my kfx450. I have a cheap-o aluminum one but it rattles like crazy and is held on by hoseclamps which break every race. So I'm wondering what other options I have. I know tag metals has polyurtheane ones but I think they went under or something. Thanks for your help

BLU82
03-29-2008, 09:41 AM
I mean the main skid plate. I race mx and the plastic back one is fine. But the aluminum of the frame is pretty soft so I'd like to protect it.

offroadhunter
03-29-2008, 04:37 PM
I went for the pro armour..it extends to the front of the frame

esquared
03-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Get pro armor , they are the best and take a beating . AC Racing skids are crap and bend with the least hit .

esquared
03-29-2008, 07:00 PM
It's obvious which is the better part . I have been through extremely rough trails with the pro armor skid and it has not bent .

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l219/aptusshooter/CF002947.jpg

KFX-R
03-31-2008, 09:49 PM
I haven't had luck with the pro armor swingarm skid. It bends up on both sides prematurely wearing out my chain and rotor. I bend it back after every ride. For chassis skid i would highly recommend the armidillo. I found that the place that takes the most abuse is the big knob on the frame right before the single spar. The armidillo goes up past that and stops at the single spar. It saves weight...and your aarms will take the abuse from your single spar forward.

Bajakawi
04-01-2008, 07:27 AM
PRM skids are by far the best in the business..I ride solely on Rocks and ledges and believe me, I give these things a beating. I have had Armadillo, AC, & Pro Armor...The PRM is by far the best out there in the 1/4"...it has the most coverage and is built the toughest. the belly skid wraps around the front and up under your front bumper..on the sides it just covers the frame. the swingarm skid has a very nice chain slider built into it that is held in with some very tough fasteners, not rivits like some of the other brands, or no chain slider like most of the other brands!!! All that and usually PRM is about the least expensive ones out there!..

KAWIRYDER
04-01-2008, 08:15 PM
I made my own body skid out of HDPE plastic and it is almost bullet proof. I'll try to post some pictures, but it turned out real nice. I was able to bolt it on where the original skid plate was. I am in the process of making a-arm guards.

spanky101
04-01-2008, 08:37 PM
definatly post pictures up man! where did you get the plastic at?

Yee-Haw_400EX
04-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by esquared
It's obvious which is the better part . I have been through extremely rough trails with the pro armor skid and it has not bent .

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l219/aptusshooter/CF002947.jpg
For what you paid for that crap-o Pro Armor you could have bought a ¼" thick PRM and had your suspension linkage protected as well. Plus, its 10x better.

Yee-Haw_400EX
04-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Bajakawi
PRM skids are by far the best in the business..I ride solely on Rocks and ledges and believe me, I give these things a beating. I have had Armadillo, AC, & Pro Armor...The PRM is by far the best out there in the 1/4"...it has the most coverage and is built the toughest. the belly skid wraps around the front and up under your front bumper..on the sides it just covers the frame. the swingarm skid has a very nice chain slider built into it that is held in with some very tough fasteners, not rivits like some of the other brands, or no chain slider like most of the other brands!!! All that and usually PRM is about the least expensive ones out there!..
I agree with you that PRM makes the best skids (Armadillo close 2nd for swingarm skid), but Armadillo doesn't make the best belly skid. The reason I say that is because they don't protect the single spar section (and they claim nobody can even though almost everyone else's product DOES).

BLU82
04-02-2008, 05:36 PM
I had the PRM full skid and IMO it was a bad design. The hose clamps break every time I ride and it's gotten to be annoying replacing them. I got a Pro-armor today and it covers the single spar and does'nt have hose clamps to hold it on. It even came with little self-adhesive foam things to stop the rattles if it has any.

Yee-Haw_400EX
04-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by BLU82
I had the PRM full skid and IMO it was a bad design. The hose clamps break every time I ride and it's gotten to be annoying replacing them. I got a Pro-armor today and it covers the single spar and does'nt have hose clamps to hold it on. It even came with little self-adhesive foam things to stop the rattles if it has any.
I'm looking closely at the Pro Armor for the full chassis and maybe the a-arms. PRM just outclasses the Pro Armor swingarm guard though.

spincr4hire
04-03-2008, 10:36 AM
the Pro Armor engine skid is nice, but the last bolt (toward the rear of the bike) stripped out of the frame on mine, so I'm using hose clamps to hold the rear up now.

KAWIRYDER
04-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Here are pictures of skid plate and unfinished a arm skid. I purchased the plastic from http://www.k-mac-plastics.net/hdpe-sheet.htm
The thickness was .188 or 3/16 inch. I suppose you could go as thick as you wanted to. The actual size of the sheet of plastic was 24x48 inches. Hope this helps.

KAWIRYDER
04-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Here is another picture.

KAWIRYDER
04-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Here is another picture.

Yee-Haw_400EX
04-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Is that held on by a zip tie!!!?!?!?!?!

KAWIRYDER
04-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Yeah the front of the skid plate is until I can figure out a better idea, but the one that was on my KFX400 was also held on by zip ties in the front and they never broke and I rode it like I stole it. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet. I ride mostly aggressive trails with downed timber and rocks, I will however put it through the same abuse like sliding over logs and whatever else I can think of. The front does tuck nicely up under the PRM bumper. I'm going to try to go riding this weekend family permitting. If you have an idea on how to fasten it it would be greatly appreciated.

spanky101
04-04-2008, 02:18 PM
i cant seem to think of anything right now... well take that back... Something just hit me. Get a peice of metal and bend it over the top on the single spar and have it so it has ears coming off the side so you could weld nuts to it, and then you could bolt it on.

something like this shape: _l l_ something like that and have something across the top but i couldnt find anything to use to connect it.

KAWIRYDER
04-04-2008, 06:36 PM
I was hoping to use some of the plastic I had left to make some sort of bracket for the skid and a-arms.

spanky101
04-07-2008, 08:04 PM
well depending, you could bend a longer peice of that peice to fit nicely around the front spar of the frame

KAWIRYDER
04-07-2008, 11:04 PM
The plastic hangs over the front spar on both sides by 1/4 inch. I don't know if there would be enough material to bolt anything to.

KFX-R
04-12-2008, 08:48 PM
I think you will be okay with the zip tie where it is. The spot that takes the most abuse is the nub right befor the single spar and it angles up from there. So if you bottom out your not going to be dragging that zip tie. You just dont want it to catch on a big rock or wood. I would try it like that unless you race xc. Mx or trail riding should be fine. I know some yfz guys that also have similar set ups.

KAWIRYDER
04-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Hey thanks, thats what I needed to hear. Do you think it would be alright for the a-arms also?

TOPDAWG
04-13-2008, 09:18 AM
I have the full Ricochet set and love it.

One thing I have noticed is the holes on the bottom of the swingarm strip REAL EASY. Be careful with those people.

KFX-R
04-13-2008, 12:28 PM
No not for the arms. The arms take to much abuse. You probaby could use hose clamps though. Put a "U" shape piece of rubber around the arm and then put two "sliver" slots to run the hose clamp all the away around. If you are a trail rider and have time to constantly check zip ties when riding you might get away with it. You could also do the hose clamp to the main plate.

Did you mold these yourself?

beak7707
04-13-2008, 12:54 PM
I've always had great luck with PRM.

KAWIRYDER
04-13-2008, 03:26 PM
I actually bought the plastic in 24x48 inches. I used cardboard as a template. Then I used a heat gun to soften the plastic and started to bend it while the short end was clamped between two pieces of wood. They both turned out perfect. All I need to do to the a-arms is cut a slot in the front so I can heat them and put a bend in it to curve with the a-arm. I'll post some pictures of the finish product. I thought about what you said and I think I could also slip a little piece of hose over the clamp and then tighten it. That way the rubber won't slip out. Thanks KFX-R sometimes you need someone else to help you see what to do.

esquared
04-15-2008, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Yee-Haw_400EX
For what you paid for that crap-o Pro Armor you could have bought a ¼" thick PRM and had your suspension linkage protected as well. Plus, its 10x better.

The Pro Armor is 1/4" thick . It has taken severe hits without deforming . They actually figured out how to build one right . I looked at PRM and passed .