PDA

View Full Version : k & N filter and precharger help

ensenadamark
03-29-2008, 12:00 AM
Requesting feedback on K&N filter and precharger. Reccomend or not? Anything to be aware of when installing? Thanks

mcwilly
03-29-2008, 07:24 AM
I'm running both w/ the Outerwears airbox lid. No complaints.

TRXRacer1
03-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Good system but you will need to maintain it a little more then a uni style filter to insure good filtration.

Brauap
03-29-2008, 09:26 AM
I run a K&N w/ an outerwares prefilter. I like it.. but I just feel uncomfertable going through water. Because just of the prefilter its water RESITANT, not proof.

REDRIDDER
03-29-2008, 05:27 PM
me personally i run with the lid on at all times there's always a little water somewhere were i ride lol...but I've run the k&n for years now i just recently bought a pre filter and i say that it keeps my filter clean of debris like grass,mud ect off the k&n filter its self ,and makes cleaning the k&n filter easier because you don't have to get into the creases of the k&n's filter just take off the outer wear and keep that clean and the filter oiled you should have no problems.

trx400EXtreme
03-29-2008, 05:38 PM
i love mine. i've been running it for about 3 or 4 years now i think. NO complaints. just clean it about once a month or so (depending on how much you ride), and you will be satisfied.:macho

NacsMXer
03-29-2008, 06:21 PM
The prechargers are nice to prevent larger pieces of dirt from prematurely clogging the pleats of the filter. They also add a layer of water resistance, but like already stated, they are not completely water-proof. They instead let splashed water bead up on the surface and fall off. I would recommend them when running with a K&N.

ensenadamark
03-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. It seems that the K&N filter goes in at an angle. Is that right or did I install it wrong?

glamiskid395
03-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by ensenadamark
Thanks for all the feedback. It seems that the K&N filter goes in at an angle. Is that right or did I install it wrong?

an angle? i dont think so, it should go on straight.

is your K&N filter longer than the stock one? if so you need to cut off the tabs on the bottom of the airbox (on the inside of course) to make it fit right.

The longer K&N filter is for a 450R, thats the one i run. no complaints.

03-29-2008, 10:33 PM
I figured out why people would get dust, dirt, sand in their carb or engine using a K&N. Its because it doesnt have the rubber on the outside to seal it.

ensenadamark
03-31-2008, 08:22 PM
Called K and N today and they said there can be a little angle but it should go straight in

glamiskid395
03-31-2008, 11:32 PM
Called K and N today and they said there can be a little angle but it should go straight in

did you check that the tabs at the bottom of the airbox that hold the stock filter in place are not keeping the filter from going on straight?

if the filter is at an angle , fine particles of dust/dirt can get it when it seals.

ensenadamark
04-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Yes, it is the tabs they are a lil to high, but the K&N guy said I should not cut them. That the tabs should go into the pleets of the filter.

glamiskid395
04-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Yes, it is the tabs they are a lil to high, but the K&N guy said I should not cut them. That the tabs should go into the pleets of the filter.

the tabs going into the pleats of the filter will shorted the life of the filter.
as you ride, the tabs will rub on the pleats and wear away the screen and then the paper of the filter.

thats what made me cut the tabs on mine, nad cuz it bent the pleats really bad.

-Mike

mcwilly
04-01-2008, 10:14 AM

Not sure what year yours is, but mine fit on straight w/o cutting the tabs (mine is an '07). I had to convince it a bit, but it went on straight. And the tabs are not in the pleats.

NacsMXer
04-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by glamiskid395
the tabs going into the pleats of the filter will shorted the life of the filter.
as you ride, the tabs will rub on the pleats and wear away the screen and then the paper of the filter.

thats what made me cut the tabs on mine, nad cuz it bent the pleats really bad.

-Mike

I agree. I ran a K&N with an Outerwears precharger a while back and I didn't know you had to cut the plastic tabs off. The Outerwears had been cut/rubbed through in two areas where it had been contacting the tabs. The tabs will chew through the screen/filter pleats over time, it only takes a little rubbing.

ensenadamark
04-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Wow! Good info. The K&N tech said the tabs go into the pleets but you guys are saying the tabs will damage them. That makes sense to me, that the tabs would wear on the filter. I think I'll give honda a call and see what they recommend. I really appreciate the feedback. mark

ensenadamark
04-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Called honda, they dont reccomend after market and cannot give any help with after market. Recalled K&N and they are investigating the problem. BTW I have a 2007 TRX 400 EX.

ensenadamark
04-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Spoke with K&N tech today. These guys actually care about customer service! They are FedXing a filter to me here in Mexico to see if the problem is the filter or the tabs. I am very impressed with there concern so far

glamiskid395
04-04-2008, 12:43 AM
Spoke with K&N tech today. These guys actually care about customer service! They are FedXing a filter to me here in Mexico to see if the problem is the filter or the tabs. I am very impressed with there concern so far

wow, that is good customer service!

that doesnt surprise me with Honda not wanting to deal with aftermarket, since your kinda saying that their stuff 'sucks', if your replaceing it.

Mellow Yellow
04-04-2008, 09:06 AM
You must have the wrong filter. The K&N should fit exactly like the stock one.

400exrider_88
04-04-2008, 09:09 AM
u cant use a stock airbox with them

zdowell
04-04-2008, 10:45 AM
honda knows their stuff don't suck, its just that if they sold a 400ex with performance shocks, a-arms, axles, bead locks, steering damper and what not. THey wouldn't sell as many and local shops wouldn't make money on the after market parts. My buddy works at he local dealer, and he says the money isn't made selling a motorcycle or atv, its the after market **** they buy for it later that they make the most profit on. For the average motorcycle at least at his shop a brand new one only brings then $400-700 depending on what you buy it for. Just to let you know. :)

NacsMXer
04-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider_88

Sure you can ;) . I ran the same K&N in my stock airbox as well as an aftermarket aluminum airbox.

Of course now I run a UNI foam filter, since it traps finer dirt particles than the K&N does....but that's a whole 'nother debate that has been beaten to death on here numerous times :rolleyes: :p

glamiskid395
04-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider_88

Why not?
the only reason some people have trouble with the K&N is because they got a longer filter than they should have. i got a 450r K&N for mine with a kit, and i dont complain, it works great.

ensenadamark
04-04-2008, 06:46 PM
I have checked and had the tech double check. The air filter I have is the right model.