PDA

View Full Version : OIL question....

g9901920
03-28-2008, 10:26 PM
I have a yz400f hybrid and it has no oil sump besides the engine so do i need an external oil sump or is it ok as is, if so how much oil does it need?
thanks

reconranger
03-29-2008, 03:50 AM
That engine is going to be real hard on its oil...change it frequently! These engines tolerate a lot of compression blow by. This article tells you why: http://www.belray.com/scripts/futurearts.dll?CollectBinaryData?loc=belray&coid=55180&moid=20156&fauuid=b6c30da5-6537-41d7-b921-64a4cf6d0144

I can't recall if that engine has an oil reservoir in the dirt bike (wasn't it in the frame???), but it it did there should be fittings on the engine for the oil lines. If the dirt bike had one, find yourself a YFZ oil tank and use that.

g9901920
03-29-2008, 10:41 AM
ya they had oil in the frame, so would it be a must for an oil sump?

spanky101
03-29-2008, 11:37 AM
im pretty darn sure its a MUST. but for the cost of a yfz oil tank, its cheap insurance, the cooler oil is gonna be a little bit better the boiling hot oil

reconranger
03-29-2008, 12:14 PM
The more oil the better!!! It will cool better, and if it shears down at least you have a large reservoir to draw from. Even install an oil cooler if possible.

Good read on oil: http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

g9901920
03-29-2008, 06:51 PM
if i were to use an oil sump how much oil would i know to put in and if i did not how much oil would it need?

jrspawn
03-30-2008, 12:12 AM
What you probably have is a wet sump conversion setup. Bassically just a blockoff plate in the pump and then deletes the need for a external tank.

There has Always been alot of speculation on the wet sump setups ever since the YZF bikes came out and the pros ran the wet sump setup. I for one always thought it was a bad setup like others, BUT, after trying the setup on a few engines of mine for over a full year and with tear down and inspection showing NO signs of any abnormal wear and etc...
I have also aquired a few wet sump engines with over 2 full seasons of hard riding and again no out of the normal wear was found.

The key is using a good oil and keeping up with changing it. A full race day/practice is about the time frame you will want to change your oil. Which i recomend in ANY setup, but thats just me. A good oil like mobil 1 or amsoil both have Very high shear ratings along with many other good specs.

So all in all from my exp. a wet sump setup is more than fine to run. You must keep up on oil changes and use good oil(which is only good for an engine), use the correct amount of oil, and make sure you have no leaks.

The ONLY way a wet sump will give you problems is if YOU do not take care of your setup and keep up on maintenance.

Thank you
Justin