PDA

View Full Version : Kick start slipping when Hot?

blazer79
03-28-2008, 09:04 PM
I have lurked a while but never posted. I have an '05 TRX 450r that starts first kick every time but seems to slip if the engine is hot(like 30 minutes of hard glamis riding). I am 6' 4" 210lbs and regularly kick start it from a sitting position, so if I stand I can really give it a kick. I have friends who have watched the shaft while I kick it(when Hot), and they said the shaft is NOT slipping, but the motor will not turn over even though the kick start pedal cycles. There is no clicking, grinding or squealing noises, just silent slipping without engine turnover. When I wait a minute or two, or try 6-7 kicks it will finally grab and start the first time the engine turns over. No other problems with bike. Any Ideas?

reconranger
03-28-2008, 10:58 PM
I would get the service manual, and look at all the parts involved. This might give you a clue as to what is going on in there......

pro-rider46
03-29-2008, 07:40 AM
how hard is it to kick, you mighgt need to set your decompression, if its got too much it will slip like what you were saying...

shipwash
03-29-2008, 08:00 PM
if im not mistaken i think the gear that the kick starter grabs is plastic, just wondering if maybe the teeth on that gear are getting rounded off, but like i said i may be wrong just a thought

blazer79
04-05-2008, 06:35 PM
My friend has an '05 450r as well with a high compression piston that is much harder to kick over than mine and his does not slip at all. Also there is absolutely no noise or ratcheting at all when it slips, just quiet, smooth slipping, then when it has a minute or two to cool down, or I kick it 5-7 times it will finally turnover and start. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this and know what it is off the top of their head.