PDA

View Full Version : Cam Chain Tensioner

Choppers
03-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Do new cam chain tensioners come already adjusted you just put them in? also how do you adfjust the original one?

bdtoady22
03-28-2008, 06:17 PM
first, they are self adjusting. this means that they are spring loaded and as the chain stretches the tensioner adjusted out keeping the chain tight. they work good until your cam chain is too stretched, second, the new tensioner will come with a plastic plug looking thing in it, LEAVE IT IN OR ELSE YOU WILL REGRET IT remove the original one there is a phillips head screw in the middle of the tensioner you need to keep it and put it on the new one. install the new one in the old hole and then pull the plug out and the tensioner will adjust. i turned the ignition switch on the bars off and turned the motor over several time to possibly take out any more slack and then go out and rip on it!!!! it is easyier to do with the head pipe off but it can be done with out removing it

Choppers
03-30-2008, 01:25 PM
ok thanks. i rebuilt the top end back in decemebr and put new cam chain in it. but i believe the tensioner is just bad. i am going to get the new one and put it in. if this doesn't solve the problem i will put a sound clip up.