PDA

View Full Version : 1987 trx 250x

Bill Lemans
03-28-2008, 03:03 PM
I'm getting ready to investigate why the reverse doesn't work on this machine since I have to change a seal on the shifter anyway. So far , all I know is that the reverse lever/linkage won't move and the shaft won't turn. I haven't had to go into this trans before so I'm hoping someone can shed a little light on this subject.I plan on doing this myself to save money so if anyone has pointers-bring em on ! :D

I guess i'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this issue and is it worth fixing on (cost wise) on an older quad. I picked it up cheap and it runs well but I only paid 560.00 for it so i don't need to throw another 500.00 into it when I can pick up another one for 1000.00.

Thanx

embler
04-01-2008, 05:00 PM
did you check the cable? make sure its pulling the lever back far enough so the reverse lever can be engaged. also make sure its in neutral all the way or it won't engage

Bill Lemans
04-01-2008, 08:54 PM
That was it. When I pulled the clutch in, that little lever underneath the clutch handle didn't travel far enough.Hence, the cable needed adjustment.

Kinda funny that I picked this up last spring for my daughter and never even realized there was a cable there.Never had reverse on a quad before.

Thanx

:D

embler
04-01-2008, 09:05 PM
glad you got got it figured out. my buddy has an 87 250x also, that's the only reason I knew about the cable, lol. pretty tough quad. he's had his for 10 years now and it still runs strong.