PDA

View Full Version : 07 oil upgrade

acrtheone
03-28-2008, 01:23 PM
I am going to get the 07 oil upgrade from j & t products some time in the next month an i was wondering what you sent your case cover in.

What did you do to th case before you shipped it and how did you protect it.

How long did it take you to get the case back. Was it easy to install it when you got it back?

stic
03-28-2008, 07:42 PM
well..todd over at j&t hates styrofoam peanuts.i put mine in a garbage bag and just stuffed the box full of old newspapers.
i just sent the case in without anything on it.except for the impeller and cover.you can leave that on.
sent mine out on a thurs and it was here tues.just take your time and be patient and thorough and follow the directions.youll be fine.

#17YFZRACER
03-28-2008, 08:50 PM
if you have a small plastic cooler id use that. if not buy one. put some old towels in it and wrap some duck tape around it and that will protect it;)

acrtheone
03-28-2008, 09:01 PM
thanks guys, I think i might go with the cooler idea,

i will be a lot more relaxed when riding, knowing that my engine is not a time bomb any more.:D

moshachusetts
03-29-2008, 08:45 PM
i'm curoius as to what the oil upgrade is & why its needed.how much is it?

i just picked up a 07 today

acrtheone
03-29-2008, 09:07 PM
the oil upgrade grade is needed for 04-06 yfz 450's because of a poor lubricatation design.

From what i have learned from this site and j&t products is that they used a poor splash design to lubricate the wrist pin (connests the piston to the rod) and also in the rod bearing (connects the rod to the crank).

The 2007 yfz 450's have had the problem fix with a oil nozel and a new high velocity pump.

You can can purchase a kit ( 07 oil pump and oil nozzel) and have your clutch side case cover modefied to correct the problem and it costs $200.

moshachusetts in your case if you have an 07 you do not need this done.

JimmyHoffa
03-29-2008, 10:27 PM
There are some things about my 450R I'm not a big fan of. They haven't given me trouble just because of how I take care of things, but I may consider getting a yfz soon. It's a big switch for me, seeing as I have never had anything besides a Honda. I don't mean to steal the thread, but are there any other issues that the YFZ has. I've been lurking on the YFZ subforum for an incredible amount of time, and this is all I've found... The easily repairable oil problem, that Yamaha acknowledges exists. If there is nothing else, I'm convinced.

acrtheone
03-30-2008, 10:51 AM
You can't go wrong with a yfz 450, I got rid of my 300ex and just recently bought a yfz 450. I put a lot of research into my decision and this is what i picked. I have not been able to ride it much yet but i am very satisfied.

One other problem that i can think about is with some 04's and 05's is that if the lights are off or removed than the battery will not charge. So a simple fix is to ride with the lights on, if you want to remove the lights get the resistor kit if needed.

That is all that i can think of right now, and i think that is it. they are great fourwheelers and you cant go wrong.