PDA

View Full Version : some 250x questions.

Moded86R
11-22-2002, 09:08 PM
I am looking to buy a 250x to start a new project.I plan on tearing it completly down and rebuilding it.It won't be till the spring until I buy one though.

How many of you guys have had the transmission problems with the 87's?I have heard they are pretty bad.I would like to get a second oppinion on this.

Also I read that alot of you guys are taking off the decompression lever.Or whatever it is.How hard is it to kick after you do this.And why are you doing it in the first place?

What exactly are the difference in the motors between the 300 and the 250?I read the ports are way to small in the head.If I had the head ported,larger valves,complete exhaust,cam,400ex carb.Could I run with a stock 400ex?I plan on building the chassis first.Then the motor.I will be riding with a fairly stock motor for a while though.

Any help would be great.

11-22-2002, 09:20 PM
Well with all taht you might be somewhat close to staying with a 400 but you definitly wouldnt win. Also if you do anyhting to the motor make sure to port the head and put in larger valves the 250x had a small head for its size then they put the same head on the 300ex so now its really restricting the 300ex. killer also good luck with the project. I wish i had bought the 250 instead of the 300. I think its a better quad. ohh well no more screwing around for me next quad i get is a cdale.
killer

Moded86R
11-22-2002, 09:23 PM
I have a 250r that I am serouis with.This is just a mess around 4-stroke.I want it nice though.

If I find a 300ex instead of a 250x that is what I will get.Really doesn't matter.Same thing really.

Rastus
11-22-2002, 09:29 PM
About decompression levers, Mines off, and it's pretty hard to kick over for someone who isn't used to it.

I'm not totally sure why it's like that, but I heard it helped when telling if the engine has good compression, and something about helping engine response....i'm not too sure though.

About the ports, yes, stock they're too small, get some good port work.

Mine is bored 0.80 and cammed with alittle port work, etc and it hangs with 400's.

Moded86R
11-22-2002, 09:31 PM
That is good news.I read that someone took theirs off to eliminate the chance of the valves staying open during start up.Which maybe why.Seems like it would be to dang hard to kick over though.Even though A 250 is fairly easy to kick over compared to my buddies 350x.

TheX1992
11-23-2002, 09:42 AM
on a 250x without the decompression is just like starting a normal engine. WITH the decompression it opens the exhaust valves slightly to reduce compression for easier starting. yes the cable can stick so the exhaust valves will stick and you have compression problems. i took mine off. not many people can start it because their not use to it but i can start it sitting down without holding onto the handlebars so i really dont see the problem. :huh

Rastus
11-23-2002, 09:47 AM
But I think having a 250X project quad is cool, there is alot of things you can do to them, and still be reliable.

Also,they're lighter than 300's, so that's a plus.

If you go 12:1 like I did, your gonna have some trouble starting it, if you haven't before.

I can't kick mine sittin down,im not a shrimp either,lol.

Moded86R
11-23-2002, 12:18 PM
Well right now the plan is ride it while buying stuff for it.Then tear it down powdercoat the frame and the stuff that needs powder coating.I am planing on some kind of +2 Aftermarket A-arms,And a +2 swingarm,Works shocks in front.Not sure on the rear.Have the cylinder bored,Wiseco 12:1 piston and rings.See how it turns out like this.If I like it well then I will put more money into it.If not then I will sell it and buy a 400.

Right now there is an 88 in the paper for 1800.Wish I had the money now.

joeroadking
11-23-2002, 05:13 PM
I had a1987 with a blown tranny and so did my friend only the 87 models had this problem second gear if I recall, swaped motor out for 350x

kicken250x
11-23-2002, 05:40 PM
I have NEVER had a problem with the tranny on my x. This thing is the best bike i have ever had!:D The only thing that has been wrong with it was the shaft that the sprocket is on for rounded off. It ripped the teeth right off. I weigh about 165lbs and a 13:1 compression piston with no decompression leaver and I can start it easy but I cant even turn it over sitting down. I dont know how TheX1992 starts his sitting down and not holding onto the bars unless he has a 9.5:1 or a 10:1 compression piston. My x is bored .060 over with a 13:1 compression piston and the mods in my sig and i can beat piped 400's. Good choice of bike man, they are great!! Later...:devil