PDA

View Full Version : painting a frame

Knoxy
03-28-2008, 11:35 AM
i have seen alot of people on this forum that have frames painted really really cool colors. i was thinking that i could do it too!
what kind of work is involved? obviously i would have to take off every single mounted item on my quad. but what kind of problems might i run into. like things that i shouldnt paint over, Removal problems, bearing issues... what things not to remove.... etc. etc

i was thinking that i would either repaint it jet black or power coat it to prevent scratches!

i would really appreciate all the input!
thanks guys!

this is the best forum i have found thus far! you guys are the best!
thanks again!

300exOH
03-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Most you see on here are powder coated. Paint doesn't last nearly as long as powder. If you are going to go through the effort of tearing down the quad the powder coat is worth it IMO. You will have to remove anything and everything that can be removed from the frame (including the subframe). That also includes all bushings, bearings, etc...

You can either find a local powder coater or contact Pappy in the BK Performance forum on here. Pappy will hook you up right.

When you get it back you may have to sand/grind off a little powdercoat in areas where a good ground is needed for electrical parts/battery ground.

ZSK
03-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Powder coating is the way to go if you can spare the cash. Paint will hold up well if the frame is prepped well. Pre-YFZ my 400ex had a painted frame and I would repaint it about every 6 months and it'd be good to go and held up well. Factory frames are painted and show the major wear spots.

Knoxy
03-28-2008, 12:34 PM
yeah i was thinking i would go with the powder coat. as i think it would look pretty badass on my quad since its already pretty black! lol

do you think if i took it to a shop they would cover up all the spots on my quad that shouldnt get paint in them????
of course i would remove the engine and s**T like that but.. everything else?

thanks for the input guys!

ZSK
03-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Disassemble, pull all the bearings and bushings and then send it to Pappy. He knows exactley what to do.

#17YFZRACER
03-28-2008, 08:57 PM
you also need to plug all the threaded areas that you dont want pc in or you will be hosed...bad:eek2:

JimmyHoffa
03-29-2008, 10:21 PM
I thought this was fair to let you Blue folk in on, since I'm probably going to get a yfz eventually. :-P

Go to http://www.por15.com and start the journey to nearly bulletproof paint. The color selection is limited, but there's nothing like it. I watched my bare a-arm roll over a volcanic stone, and can't locate any scratches. When I'm bored, I throw chisel-converted flat blade screwdrivers (yeah... Don't lie. We all have a few.) at my frame to see if I can scratch it. The frame is winning so far. Somehow, I still get boot rub. I can't figure that out... It beats powdercoat by a mile for picky folk like me that ride woods and like to touch up scratches.

I'll admit, for appearance, there's nothing like a good layer of Pappycoat. The POR15 has an interesting surface texture, and some grainy resins in the paint.

wilbur116
03-30-2008, 12:38 AM
Por15 paint is not UV resistant. So if you plan to use your ride outdoors it might not be the way to go. I use Por15 on my truck frame thats not exposed to sunlight but I powder coat my bike frames.

JimmyHoffa
03-30-2008, 07:44 AM
The POR15 base coat is not UV resistant. However, the plethora of topcoats they sell for their rust-inhibitive POR15 basecoats are all UV resistant. I probably wasn't specific enough there. I'd definitely suggest a topcoat for something like a quad.

http://www.por15.com/products.asp?dept=4

They've got some new stuff, and in the FlexCote variety, there's all sorts of ridiculous colors. You could rock a baby blue truck frame if you were in the mood. I don't know how you feel about that, though.