View Full Version : pressure washers

mcwilly
03-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Yes, I used the search ;) I'm looking at getting a (gas powered) pressure washer and was wondering what you guys are using and how many psi's are you running. I'm looking at one from Lowes that's 2550 psi. I was talking to a friend of mine and he said he used his neighbors pressure washer on his Polaris and it scratched the plastic on his quad. :eek2: You think 2550psi is too much? Anybody know the ballpark psi's at the coin operated 'do-it-yourself' car washes?

quad2xtreme
03-28-2008, 11:49 AM
I bought a DeWalt that you can dial the pressure up and down much like you do an air compressor. It is rated at 4 gpm. It was a very expensive powerwasher but I have other projects besides the quad.

It isn't the pressure nearly as much as the tip and how close you get. You can go with a 40 degree nozzle and 2550psi and you will be fine. Don't touch the nossle right on the plastic when cleaning it. The further back you stand the less impact the water has.

Never use the 0 degree nozzle.

bcg717
03-28-2008, 03:51 PM
You will be fine with the 2500psi one. I would not go any lower than that. the ones at the carwash are about 2200-2500psi. When you are using it dont let off the trigger and and let it sit in bypass for more than a minute and half, just turn it off if you plan on not pulling the trigger for that long.

03-28-2008, 05:32 PM
my power washer is currently broke. No one can seem to figure out whats wrong. But anyways its 2450PSI and on a concentrated spray it will eat through concrete... and your finger lol Yeah I disconnected the wrong hose before not realizing all the pressure it still had inside the tank and as soon as it go to the last thread the hose shot off and that 2450PSI was in such a little stream so concentrated my finger being there for 1 second, i had blood everywhere. Tore up my finger pretty good haha

LT250_JOE
03-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Use the money for a slip on. A garden hose is all you need. I pre soak mine/ get all the big crap off. Then squirt the whole thing down with Simple Green diluted 50/50. Let sit for a couple minutes(dont let dry). And rinse off-you dont even have to use a sponge. Good as new!!!

Pressure washers blow off decals, bend radiator fins, waste the gas you could have used for riding, and dwindle that extra space in your garage for another quad!!!

my 2 cents

RidinRed420
03-28-2008, 07:38 PM
I have a Troy-bilt 2500psi power washer.. It is really nice and has never scratched my plastics. The first time I used it, I ripped the stickers off my bike, but since then I have been more careful and no problems. As others have said dont use it really close to your bike or with the smallest tip and it will be great!

Just read the manual and follow the it. If it says use a 50ft hose.....USE A 50ft hose, not a 75ft one. It makes a HUGE difference and it will not run correctly without a 50ft hose.

ZeroLogic
03-28-2008, 11:44 PM
I got a Honda pressure washer, its 2500 psi and it works real good. I never had it peel off my graphics or scratch it. Just don't aim it at seals or bearings nor put your finger infront of the nozzle.:blah:

mcwilly
04-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the info. I wound up getting a 2600psi w/ a Honda motor from Home Depot. It kicks @$$.
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImage/a334c12a-47fc-4a13-b4f1-75cf0a9a9a74_400.jpg

bulkdriverlp
04-07-2008, 08:22 PM
that one is one of the best. i have one thats 2750 or somethin like that, with the honda engine. youll be happy...

CSR400EX
04-08-2008, 01:38 AM
i have a 2900psi craftsman, and as long as you use the orange or yellow nozzle (yellow is 2500 with wide spray, orange is 2700 with a narrower spray, but its what i use every time on my bike) you should be good. i have a red nozzle which is straight stream and 2900 and it will hurt plastic, cut tires if you hold it on one lol. i cut the rubber fork boots off of my old KX500 with it lol

400exmatt
04-08-2008, 04:17 AM
i got a honda 3600 psi and does reallt well.

mittman
04-08-2008, 09:31 AM
we got ours from northern tool it has a 9hp honda engine, 3200 psi ,3 gpm and it is great we have had it for a year and so far no problems.

QuadJunkies
04-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by mcwilly
Yes, I used the search ;) I'm looking at getting a (gas powered) pressure washer and was wondering what you guys are using and how many psi's are you running. I'm looking at one from Lowes that's 2550 psi. I was talking to a friend of mine and he said he used his neighbors pressure washer on his Polaris and it scratched the plastic on his quad. :eek2: You think 2550psi is too much? Anybody know the ballpark psi's at the coin operated 'do-it-yourself' car washes?
I got this one(the Troy bilt) and love it .Works great and Im able to use it on a water barrel .
That was the toughy trying to find one that would work o na barrel!
Ive had some bigger units not work ,yet a smaller one did.We got lucky and it worked good.
I started a topic on this last year and got some great info . :)