PDA

View Full Version : DS temp?

hasbeenttduner
03-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Well there has been some overheating going on now and then.The mx guys are adding scoops,some are running aftermarket radia,and turning the plastics behind into swiss cheese to help air flow.It is not up to summer temps yet and this may be something for all of you to pay attention to.Maybe install a temp gauge to watch it.As time goes on share your tips here in this thread.Here are some pics of what some of the pros are doing to help keep them as cool as they can.

hasbeenttduner
03-28-2008, 08:18 AM

hasbeenttduner
03-28-2008, 08:20 AM
You can install something like this to keep a eye on things.

hasbeenttduner
03-28-2008, 08:23 AM

OutlawBill
03-28-2008, 08:43 AM
I think the holes are too let engine heat out and try too keep the gas tank cooler. With those long radiator hoses some in-line supper cooler should work.

ThePhantomRider
03-28-2008, 10:06 AM
The big thing is that, on race bikes that require a bumper mounted number plate, the standard bumpers built by the aftermarket follow each of their own design style, they will take the template and modify it to each quad to keep costs manageable, all they have to do is alter the mounting points to work for each quad.

Since the radiator is further forward, when you place the plate on, it forces the air around the plate and the flow back to the radiator is actually pushed around the core. where on other bikes they flow back into the radiator. There in lies the problem, while the bumper itself is fine, it's location causes an issue.

What will have to happen is that the builders that design the race bumpers, need to lower the center height and move the bumper a couple inches forward to regain the airflow they lost.

You should not have any of those issues on your play bike whatsoever, it's only an aero issue when a plate is in place.

Here are a couple designs I have come up with to help the issue....

TPR

ThePhantomRider
03-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Here's one I threw on the front of a DS, sorry about the quality, this is all done with MS Paint....don't have the fun tools of photoshop.

The crossbar is lowered about 2", lowering the number plate in the process, then I made the lines follow the DS' as best I could.

I think it turned out quite nice...

hasbeenttduner
03-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Fredericks used the skid as a number plate wich would keep rules makers happy and the plate very low.That being said this one overheated at a not overly muddy 90deg worcs round 3 but yes the plate location looks like a good one.

hasbeenttduner
03-28-2008, 04:53 PM
The fredericks plate also slopes down and back which would help not push air up high on the radiator.This looks like a good target plate location.