PDA

View Full Version : 400EX vs 500 Scrambler

bigredisb
03-28-2008, 05:38 AM
Alright folks,
This is probably a no brainer for you. A good freind of mine has a 500 4x4 Scambler that he is dying to drag me with. Once my machine is broke in I am going to give her hell. I bought a 07 holdover and have less than 1 tank of gas through it so far. I have removed the choke plate, air box lid, and ground the flange welds out of the headers and changed jetting a little. Eventually new air filter, and a slip on. I also added nerf bars, bumper, and handguards. So far the wife is keeping a pretty close eye on what I spend.
So what are the chances of me taking it? Every person I know runs a polaris and I am catching hell all the time for having the Honda. Last I rode the scrambler it seemed pretty quick for completely stock. But again that was compared to a 500 sportsman utility quad. My EX is the first sport quad I have ever rode/owned. I came from a KX250 bike.

rcatvrider
03-28-2008, 06:30 AM
You should smoke it pretty bad. Polaris engines aren't the greatest, not to mention he has alot more weight under him.

Brauap
03-28-2008, 08:08 AM
Well, I have a 400EX and my dad has the Polaris Scrambler 500 4X4. I was dying to drag him, but we didn't have any place to, so we went to out back yard, which is about 50ft. We started dead even, side by side, but at the end (I think about 3 gear) I started to pull away from him. The 400EX is around 400 lbs, and the 500 is right around 550.. I think is it was long enough you will, because I think the stock speed is around 55mph. But why do you have to mod it all up to race a polarie? I was head2head stockvstock.. But do what you want. If you mod it up I turly think you will win. Good-Luck!

I think you would win, but there is a slight chance that the polly will pull ahead, doubt it though.

maxfior
03-28-2008, 08:35 AM
...Coming from a KX250, you're EX is going to look a little slow... But I'm sure you'll have a good race! Let us know what happens!

Hondamaster5505
03-28-2008, 01:49 PM
I rode a scrambler 500... wasnt too impressed. For their weight, they're quick, but don't compare to a sport quad.

Plus, not to mention, its a p.o.s.laris. Most likely he'll snap a belt or blow the engine:D

lmao.

Brauap
03-28-2008, 01:59 PM
whats p.o.s?

The scambler has a chain, not a belt.

Brauap
03-28-2008, 02:11 PM
I don't like polaris or anything but you have to give it a little credit.. 1st off, its made in the ol' U.S. of A. But also, when my dad bought his, back is 01' he bought a K&N then same day and put it in, but one thing he didn't do was jet it. And to this very days, its still not jetted. But still runs like a champ. He's kind of afraid to jet it because he doesn't want to mess up and ruin his engine, but jeez, he has so many parts for his quad you could make a new one! Seriously! He even has an extra engine! lol

Hondamaster5505
03-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
whats p.o.s?

The scambler has a chain, not a belt.

p : piece

o : of

s : sh--

I know the scrambler has a chain, but the actual drive system itself. Its an automatic, so it has belt drive that goes to the chain which goes to the tires:D

bigredisb
03-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks folks. I was pretty sure it would get the 500. TRUST me I am NOT modding my EX for a polaris. I just like a real quick throttle response on my machines. I have found in my past expierience that letting air in and letting out easy gives me just that. Yes I do feel the EX is a pooch compared to the KX250 on top end but I also dont feel the threat of broken bones when I get on my 400 either. I have to tell you my first impression of the 400 is that it pulls like a freight train. I really like the torque of a 4 stroke. I didnt buy the EX for top end and never expected it to be close to the KX. I had to have reverse and electric start so that pretty well pointed me to the EX. While my kawy ran like a raped ape and could eat up about any CR that came around, it was always breaking somthing. Thats where the honda's ate my lunch. So I decided that I would ride red. I am reallly impressed with the 400EX. Perfect for me.
The polaris bunch never had the balls to run me on my bike but they are getting cocky now that I have the 400. I didnt mention that the reason for all the polaris machines is that my cousin manages a polaris dealer in MN. I have never been impressed with the quality of the machines. While they are good machines they seem to me to lack the attention to detail.
Dont take this the wrong way I am not bashing, just pointing out my opinion.
Please keep the comments coming.

P.S. The polaris uses both a Belt and chains. The rear drive from the transmission is a chain, but the transmission is a CVT (continuously variable transmission). Came from snowmobiles. Works good and smooth but the belts are week point alignment isnt perfect and deep water couses slipage.

my88r
03-28-2008, 02:34 PM
those polaris don't hold up well. the ex is a good all around package.

STUNTIN400EX
03-28-2008, 02:42 PM
your ex should eat your buddies scrambler up! plus when they are fixing there quads you will be riding yours! 400ex are tanks the reason why honda hasn't change the engine much is because its a work horse and there is no reason to fix something that isn't broke!

zracer16
03-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Yea, u should be able to beat him no problem. The automatic drive system on the polaris robs a lot of power. Your EX is putting a lot more power to the ground and it ways a lot less. I raced a 500 scrambler on my bone stock Z400 and beat him start to finish.

bigredisb
03-28-2008, 07:01 PM
The polaris owner was over at my place tonight and saw me running it around pulling the front in the air and stuff and he didnt say a word. Like I told him, you mouthed off to me. Put some cash on it. I told him if still wants to once its broke in that we can line them up. Loser buy's the winner a pipe for the machine.
I dont think it will happen after seeing the look on his face.
Does anyone know if the 500 is a fuji? If you were not aware polaris had the majority of thier 350 and 400 2 stroke engines and thier 400 4 stroke built by Fuji Heavy ltd. Dont let them give you any crap about total usa built. Engines are installed in the states but if its a Fuji heavy ltd it was built in japan.
Thanks guys.

TravEX
03-28-2008, 07:30 PM
The drag race will be closer than you will like it to be. Stop talking smack and drag race him.

Pipeless416
03-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by TravEX
The drag race will be closer than you will like it to be. Stop talking smack and drag race him.

i agree, i think this poo-laris will be a lot closer than everybody is leading you to believe. i'm guessing he'll hang with you for a while and then you'll creep away towards the end. thats the only thing i hate about wisconsin.. everybody and their dog rides a polaris!!!

ti2ibal1
03-29-2008, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
p : piece

o : of

s : sh--

I know the scrambler has a chain, but the actual drive system itself. Its an automatic, so it has belt drive that goes to the chain which goes to the tires:D

Before I bought my Banshee back in 2001, I had a 1999 Scrambler 400. I had it ported and polished, clutch work with a new belt, K&N filter, piped and jetted. It was a whomper! I'd put it in 4x4, hold the brake in and give 1/4 throttle to stage it. Let go of the brake and floor it and that thing would launch like a rocket!

The best part about it was that it looked and (for the most part) sounded bone stock. Many 400EX's, Banshee's and Raptor's fell to the "lowly" Polaris.

Every time you post, you seem like you have the end all, be all answer to every question. If I recall correctly, you are only 14? I was riding and modding bikes before you were in pre-school. I wish I still had my Scrambler just to stomp a mud hole in your ***. :devil:

bigredisb
03-29-2008, 01:08 PM
I'll know saturday. We are going up to my property to ride. Should be a lot of fun. The good thing its fairly sandy so we have good drainage and it doesent turn into a swamp in the spring. My buddy wouldnt put a pipe on it but I ll let you know.
Thanks!

Hondamaster5505
03-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by ti2ibal1
Before I bought my Banshee back in 2001, I had a 1999 Scrambler 400. I had it ported and polished, clutch work with a new belt, K&N filter, piped and jetted. It was a whomper! I'd put it in 4x4, hold the brake in and give 1/4 throttle to stage it. Let go of the brake and floor it and that thing would launch like a rocket!

The best part about it was that it looked and (for the most part) sounded bone stock. Many 400EX's, Banshee's and Raptor's fell to the "lowly" Polaris.

Every time you post, you seem like you have the end all, be all answer to every question. If I recall correctly, you are only 14? I was riding and modding bikes before you were in pre-school. I wish I still had my Scrambler just to stomp a mud hole in your ***. :devil:

Your an idiot:huh

First of all, I was refering to the 500, not the 400. Of course the built 400 is going to be faster, duh. Its a ported two-stroke that you have. Common sense.

I have the end all be all answer huh? Well do you read other peoples post in this thread? "your ex should eat that scrambler up"

Im stating my opinion. He started this thread asking for opinions. I gave him mine. Other people give them theirs.

Yeah, people underestimate me because of my age. I know plenty on tearing down, rebuilding engines. Also I can do a lot of repairs most people have to give to a shop to do.

shallow518
03-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
i agree, i think this poo-laris will be a lot closer than everybody is leading you to believe. i'm guessing he'll hang with you for a while and then you'll creep away towards the end. thats the only thing i hate about wisconsin.. everybody and their dog rides a polaris!!!

not everyone. im from a small town in wisonsin and its about a 50 50 on honda to polaris. there are a few yamies and kawies, but for the most part its polaris and honda. the polaris owners by me are the ones that think polaris are the best and never break down cause they buy a new one every year or 2. the people who ride hondas up here for the most part ride a 400 or 450, there are a few rincons and ranchers. all that ride hondas have had them for a while. when it comes to racin the polaris riders dont say much and when it came to the mud they talked a lot but wimped out when the rincons called them out. some people came to reality that belts do slip when they get wet

cbrxxtreme
03-31-2008, 10:29 AM
The 400 tops out around mid 60's, low 70's I beleive (can't remember exaxtly).

The Scrammy tops out high 50's low 60's. The length of the race will determine the out come. I think the Scrammy will get to top speed (60) faster tho. I'll let you know for sure when I get my cousins tick figured out, and put his 400 back together.

The two bikes are totaly different machines, and built for different riding styles. Your running a sport quad against a utlity quad, a closer match would be the 450, against an Outlaw, or Preditor.

TravEX
03-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Have you raced yet!?

bigredisb
04-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Last night we raced them. The 400 gets it in a city block by about 1 to 2 quad lengths. The polaris is quick out of the whole but I realed him in quick. My friend has ridden street bikes for years so he is used to shifting. Because of that we switched and the same result 3 out of 3. They are fairly close. He's a good sport and stuck around to help me put on my nerf bars. If it were on dirt where the polaris hooks up in 4wd it would have got me. Should be fun on our sand bars this weekend.

TravEX
04-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the update.

440challenger
04-02-2008, 07:07 PM
those scrambler 500 HO's AWD hold there own. very impressive.

03trx400
04-02-2008, 10:55 PM
when my 400 was stock i raced my uncles 500...it was vampires on it but its also geared down to compensate so it doesnt lose anything on acceleration...maybe even gained some? im not sure how much he geared down. anyway...we didnt really drag from the start but maybe 2nd or bottom of 3rd gear...we were even for a bit then i started to pull away once i hit 4th and 5th gear...i was over-revving wayyyyy too much so i think i could of put some more space between us but i was pretty new to the machine...anyway that was my expierience with the 400 vs the scrambler

p.s. my 400 was stock when we raced

my88r
04-02-2008, 11:00 PM
those 400 scramblers good pretty well. but where talking the 500. :chinese:

bigredisb
04-03-2008, 06:29 AM
I have ridden my dads old 400 scrambler a lot and the I like the 400 better than the 500. The 400 seems lighter and a bit snappier with the 2 stroke and you could always tell the polaris motors are choked so much by the monster muffler they strap on them. I guess this week my dad went and sold his 2 polaris machines and bought a Rhino 660. Looked pretty sweet. He said its the most cold blooded thing he has ever tried to start but it runs pretty good.