PDA

View Full Version : I'm now the proud owner of an 03' Z400....1st quad!!

IQRaceworks
03-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Well, I finally bit the bullet and deiced to get my first sport quad. I got lucky on ebay and won the auction for this 03' Z400 for $2700. I think I did really well.....it's super clean, still had the stock tires on it, and runs like a champ.

As soon as I got it I went ahead and changed the oil and filter, adjusted the chain, and cleaned the air filter. It runs really strong...I'm really impressed with it. I also am really impressed at how it handles. I've ridden a few Raptors and older Warriors that my friends own, and they all seemed really "tippy". They would want to go over on you really fast if you were not careful. The Z400 seems very predictable....very easy to balance.

The brakes on it are great.....but I'm not sure how they really compare to other quads.

I think the only thing I need to do now is adjust the suspension....and set the front and rear sag. I've been searching on how to do it, but haven't really had much luck. I'm right at 200lbs....anyone have any settings that I should try? Also...where are some good places to get after market accessories for these?

Well.....I can't wait to get this thing out on the trails and run it.

Just thought I would show a few pics of it. I think I did pretty good....sure is nice and clean.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/3152/1009739syi9.jpg

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7350/1009738skl9.jpg

NRPkfx400
03-28-2008, 12:57 PM
For after market accessories there are a few websites: Rockymountainatvmc.com, Motosport.com, Dennis Kirk. Or you could go to your local suzuki dealer and they could help you out.

TheNewn
03-28-2008, 09:11 PM
I dont know how much research you did before buying the Z, but here's a couple minor problems they tend to have (especially 1st year models)

Check for cracks in the frame right above the front shock mount. If they're cracked you need to have it repaired/gussets put in (real simple/cheap).

Should adjust the valves in that Z and while you're at it, check the cam chain/tensioner.

What kind of after market parts are you looking for? Before you buy anything expensive, do your research.

I think you got a great quad, i'd like to have a Z myself.

dpizz450
03-28-2008, 11:02 PM
nice quad man and great deal. super clean. yes they do handle very good. i love mine. like said above watch out for those couple things cause 03 was the first year. mine is an 03 and i havent had any problems except a few minor things over the years. but you have to do alot of decent size jumping for the frame to crack i would think.. mine is still fine 5 years later. yeah...rockymountainatv.com has mostly the best prices on most things and great service. what ya lookin for for it? a full exhaust and air filter and jets REALLY opens it up. also this is a great place for info on it but you should also check out the forums on www.z400central.com forums devoted jus for the Z. great place. good luck man. let us know what kinda mods you get so we can steer ya in the right direction :macho

IQRaceworks
03-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Hey, thanks for the info guys.

As far as mods go, I'm just wanting to start with the basics....pipe, air filter, jets.

Are there any kits I can get that will come with all three?

If I put a new pipe on, am I going to have to mess with it and "tune" the motor....or is it pretty much "plug&play" (install new pipe, install the new jets.......ride it).

I want to do some mods.....but I don't want to have to mess with the motor all the time. I'd rather have reliability than a few extra HP if it came down to chooseing between the two.

Any info would be great.

Thanks again.

TheNewn
03-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Are you looking for a full system or a slip on?

Either way, i'd highly recommend HMF. Best price/performance/quality ratio by far in my opinion. As an added bonus they come in just about any color you'd want.

Outside of HMF you can find great deals on a lot of companies.
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=closeout&webTypeId=57&navTitle=Exhaust&webCatId=18&prodFamilyId=8736#vehicleSelect

there rockymountain ATV has a great price on a white brothers full aluminum pro system for 400 bucks, its on clearance and it seems to be a good deal to me. Free shipping too.

As for the air filter, search rockymountain atv for the airfilter to throw on if you get the exhaust. I'd get a K&N or a Uni with an outerwares and ditch the lid. (which is what i did on my 250R.)

As for jets, some pipes come with 'jet kits' but they're always dynojet which has their 'conversion' chart because their jets arent the same size as the stock jets are for the same number. If i were you i'd just buy the jets individually at yoru dealer or just a few online new no ebay or something.

Lastly, as for 'tuning' you need to tune your carb/jets to make sure the bike runs well. Other than that, there shouldnt be any tuning.

Make sure your valves are check/you check them before you got romp too hard.

Also, one last important thing, BUY A SERVICE MANUAL. Best 30 bucks you'll ever spend.

IQRaceworks
03-29-2008, 09:06 AM
As far as the jets go....how do I know what size I need to get? Do I just have to run it and read the plugs...and then jet accordinly? Or do the comanys that make pipes tell you what you need to jet up (as far as the size goes).

When it comes to a full system vs. slip on......are there really any gains from a slip on besides the noise?

I'll have to check the valve. I'm assuming that they are like the sportbike motors...you have to add or remove shims to set the lash?

TheNewn
03-29-2008, 12:28 PM
The pipe company should send their recommended jetting to get you in the ball park. Then its up to you to fine tune it if it needs it.

From what i know, on a stock motor, their is a far greater increase from going stock exhaust to a slip on, than going slip on to a full system. you'll definitely notice a difference.

as for valves, i've never check them on a Z, i'm not familiar with it. Only ever done it to a 400EX.

dpizz450
03-29-2008, 03:36 PM
yes ther is some places that sell kits with air filter, jets, and pipe. i just cant think of any right now. i think magicracing.com does those kits. but idk how well there priced. i love my HMF full system its great. great sound, looks, and overall performance. and ive owned a few diff pipes. ive owned a FMF, pro circuit, DG, my cousin had a yoshi, and i love my HMF the most of them all. and it can come in almost any color to match your quad. but if you dont lke the HMF, a few other good brands are LRD, pro circuit, sparks, yoshi (a lil overpriced IMO) just to throw a few out there. as for a air filter, if you wanna stay with a foam, get a uni, if not get a K&N and outerwear for it. and for jets, most pipes will come with directions like siad above on what sizes to put. it will put you around the ballpark and you might have to do a little tuning do to your sea level or elevation or whatever you wanna call it. that is all the tuning your gonna need to do for those mods and youll be fine and it will make a world of a difference and still have reliability. let me know if you need anything else, you can also shoot me a PM with any questions you have! you check out the z400central forums yet? LOTS of info on your quad there.

dpizz450
03-29-2008, 03:39 PM
for a full LRD exhaust, air filter, and jet kit you can get all that on magicracing.com for Status:
In Stock
Magic Price:
$529.95

take a look...
http://www.magicracing.com/LRD-Pro4-Complete-Exhaust-System--LTZKFXDVX400_p_237-1053.html#
ive never ran a LRD but heard nothing but good things about them. let us know what ya get. glad i can be a help to a fella Z rider!
or even a yoshimura for ten bucks more...
http://www.magicracing.com/Yoshimura-Aluminum-RS3-Comp-Complete--LTZ400_p_237-368.html

all of those are good but my personal preference is an HMF. they perform awesome, everyone seems to love them, and they look great especially with all the choices of colors you can get.

also check out e bay...heres a polished brand new full system hmf that comes with a filter and jets
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HMF-EXHAUST-KFX400-DVX-LT-Z400-FULL-SYSTEM-POLISHED_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2e l1247QQcategoryZ43978QQihZ009QQitemZ190045402025QQ rdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
its only 457.00 bucks buy it now. (its not actually yellow like in pic, read description) good luck again man. hope this helps ya make ur decision.

some other colors, including white...
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=z400+hmf+full+exhaust&category0=

out of all those pipes theyre all gonna give out the same amount of HP. about the only difference is looks and sound. all great pipes. but that hmf on ebay i just posted is quite a deal for full system jets and filter.

CR125Honda
04-07-2008, 10:57 AM
I first bought a pipe (Pro Circuit with header) then bought the Dyno jet kit.

The instructions in the DJ kit gave recommendations on which jet to use depending on you location (altitude) and the quad's setup.

Without access to a Dyno, a spark plug reading is the best I can do to check the main. Mid range was spot on so I didn't have to mess with the needle setting (DJ supplies a new needle). I set the idle circuit by ear and a couple test runs.

Also removed the airbox lid (don't throw it away, keep it around to install when pressure washing, etc..)

I also bought a 3 pack of "Ready Filters" air filters. They come pre-oiled, ready to install. It's nice always having a clean filter ready to install.
I've been cleaning them with PJ filter cleaner, soap (dawn) and water and re-oiling with bel-ray air filter oil. Have been checking very closely when cleaning and haven't noticed any deterioration of foam or the glue joints. It's been a little over a year now and so far, I give them a big thumbs up. Good price, good product.

As a "go fast" trail rider, I'm very happy with the setup.. Good power throughout the rpm range, sounds good, etc.. It's been reliable and should last for as good long time.

The valve clearance is setup like your familiar with on the sportbikes. The shims are located under the the buckets. You can get the individual shims from your local dealer or buy a kit from Hotcams.

dpizz450
04-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by CR125Honda
The valve clearance is setup like your familiar with on the sportbikes. The shims are located under the the buckets. You can get the individual shims from your local dealer or buy a kit from Hotcams.

you can also purchase OEM shims from here for probably a fraction of the cost from the dealer...
http://www.powersportspro.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/9/Kawasaki.aspx
good site for all OEM hard to find parts^^!!

bigdaddychaz251
05-06-2008, 06:33 PM
I am a huge fan of Team Alba. I bought the K&N air filter, jets, and Full exhaust system from them. while i was waiting on it to be shipped to me, i challenged someone to a race, lol, and my package ended up getting to me the day of the race, so i hurried to get it all put together, then i called Team Alba, asked them what jet they recommend, and the jet they had told me was spot on. i put it in and it was perfect, i was amazed... i have had some jetting experiences that took hours, and still weren't perfect, but they do enough research and riding, that they were dead on, and i probably got a little lucky too, but still, none the less, Team Alba kicks ***** !!!