PDA

View Full Version : i cant decide!!

ATVMX905
03-27-2008, 08:41 PM
ok, im selling my 250ex real soon. I just got it fixed and its goin up for sale next week. Im not alowwed to get a 450 because my dad dont want me to kill myself so im stuck on 400's. i cant decide wether i should get a 400ex or a z400. i like the ergonomics(feel) of the 400ex but i dont like the front shocks. i like the z400's suspension but it sits soo high. any suggestions on what to buy? The quad will be 05 or newer.:D

03-27-2008, 08:48 PM
400ex no doubt is a better machine. The Z400 may have liquid cooling but i would never trade a Honda just because it doesnt have liquid cooling.

Flyin-Low
03-27-2008, 09:24 PM
400ex no matter what..

And with the front shocks thing, find some used stock 450r shocks for dirt cheap and send them to GT Thunder, Derisi or anywhere like that to be revavled and they will be 50x better than stock z400 shocks.

Even without sending them out they would still be better..

BlaineKaiser450
03-27-2008, 09:53 PM
400ex for sure!

yellow400ex05
03-28-2008, 04:35 AM
I always wanted a z400 for the longest time and then my brother didn't want his 05' 400ex, I was right on it. It was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up, and I'm very glad I didn't! I'm so glad I got the Honda over the Z now. I always used to say the Z was all that, until I started riding my 400.

reptikes
03-28-2008, 08:55 AM
The biggest things i noticed comparing the 400ex to the z400 was the feel of the hieght! The 400ex feel like a 250r to me, low and steers better and sharper than my 450r. The z400 feels like it sits very, very high and when turning on the z it feels like its tippy. It almost feels like the 2 crapters a rode.

Just my opinion.

The liquid cooled & air cooled difference doesn't matter. We have 2 - z400's, 1 - kfx400, and 2 - 400ex's in our group and NO ONE has over heated or anything.

400EXtreme
03-28-2008, 09:17 AM
youll be so sorry if you dont get the z.

kawiefan
03-28-2008, 09:24 AM
I choose the 400ex. Its by far one of the most popular quads out there and its very reliable

blacknblue#2
03-28-2008, 07:20 PM
You cant go wrong with either quad. Both are very reliable and fairly close on the power. i say the 400EX is the better choice. In my opinion they have a lot better feel and handling. Like stated before the Z can get a little tippy. Get the 400EX, pick up a set of 450R shocks (going anywhere from 150-250 a pair) and ride the wheels off it. No it aint a 450 but coming from a 250EX you will love it. And when you get bored of it you have endless possibilities of power increase.

BlasterEaten250
03-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Without any suspension work done I like the z for going fast in the woods and the 400ex on an mx track. JMO

mx1791
03-28-2008, 10:00 PM
z400. i never had a problem with mine

dont get me wrong i used to like the 400ex more back when i had a z400 but now that i think about it the 400ex isnt that great. ive rode all kinds of 400ex's and 406's, a 416 and a 440 and they all just feel slow and they ride rougher then z400s.

trx400EXtreme
03-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by reptikes
The biggest things i noticed comparing the 400ex to the z400 was the feel of the hieght! The 400ex feel like a 250r to me, low and steers better and sharper than my 450r. The z400 feels like it sits very, very high and when turning on the z it feels like its tippy. It almost feels like the 2 crapters a rode.

Just my opinion.

The liquid cooled & air cooled difference doesn't matter. We have 2 - z400's, 1 - kfx400, and 2 - 400ex's in our group and NO ONE has over heated or anything. i'm the exact same way when i ride a Z400. every time i ride my cousins, i'm really timid because it feels liks it's gonna flip EVERY time you turn the bars. i'm sure alot of people that ride z's will say the opposite, but after you ride a 400ex, there is no doubt you feel a difference.

dpizz450
03-28-2008, 10:42 PM
your gonna get a really biased opinion on hondas here. its a honda site for the most part, or started out as one anyway. just as much as youd get a biased opinion on z400central forums. i own a z400 and im not gonna type to much because you can use the search button its been covered way to many times.

i was in the same position 5 years ago when i was sellin my 250 to get a 400. i had my eyes set on the ex but i then fell in love with the Z. you cant go wrong either way and its gonna come down to personal preference. ride both if you can then decide. i was like you, i liked both and wanted a EX and the Z felt a little high, but you get used to it really quick and i wouldnt trade my Z for an EX. but thats just me. its all in personal preference.

the Z is a little more up to date. the EX is a little outdated but is a bullet proof machine. both are reliable quads and will last as long as you maintain them and take care of them on a regular basis. i got my Z in 03 out of one of the late 03 batches right before the 04 came out and i have not had any major problems with mine. both are great quads and you will love either one. main thing is liquid colling with the Z and air cooled with the ex. test ride both and thats what it will come down to. both have great variety of aftermarket parts. good luck. let us know what you choose.

edit: dont just choose your quad based on what ppl say on a forum or a vote. RIDE BOTH. both are great quads and you cant go wrong. the Z is just a tad bit more up to date.

ATVMX905
03-28-2008, 10:58 PM
I really like how the 400ex sits low, and plus its a 400ex, ive seen guys ride the piss out of these things for years, never changed the oil or anything and they still run fine. thats why im leaning for the ex. plus I have a local honda dealer so i can get parts real easy. ive just had paople tell me the z400 rides better but it feels tippy as hell to me.:devil:

krt400ex
03-29-2008, 06:31 AM
400ex no doubt. i dont find the front suspension to be too bad. it actually works better when you ride faster. i have rode a few z's and kfx's and i hate how tall and tippy they are...and they dont have the torque off the bottom that the 400ex has.

400EXtreme
03-29-2008, 10:30 AM
whenever i had my 400ex and after i rode my friends z i always wish i got one instead.

450R-156
03-29-2008, 12:37 PM
If you go with the 400ex and want to get some 450R shocks i have a pair off my 06 that never have been used if you are intrested

dpizz450
03-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by ATVMX905
I really like how the 400ex sits low, and plus its a 400ex, ive seen guys ride the piss out of these things for years, never changed the oil or anything and they still run fine. thats why im leaning for the ex. plus I have a local honda dealer so i can get parts real easy. ive just had paople tell me the z400 rides better but it feels tippy as hell to me.:devil:

have you even ridden the Z? the Z is not tippy at all. it just sits a litlte higher. it is set up where it wont be tippy cause it does sit a little higher then others. trust me, ride it and you will not think its tippy at all. like i said you cant go wrong either way but you NEED to ride both before you make a decision. dont let us make the decision for you. that is the only real way to decide. cause if you dont ride both and you buy one, and then ride the other one that you didnt buy later, you might be kickin yourself for it. good luck.

reptikes
03-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by YZrida
have you even ridden the Z? the Z is not tippy at all. it just sits a litlte higher. it is set up where it wont be tippy cause it does sit a little higher then others. trust me, ride it and you will not think its tippy at all. like i said you cant go wrong either way but you NEED to ride both before you make a decision. dont let us make the decision for you. that is the only real way to decide. cause if you dont ride both and you buy one, and then ride the other one that you didnt buy later, you might be kickin yourself for it. good luck.

I have been on quite a few z's and kfx's, i can say that i never tipped (rolled) one. BUT they do feel tippy. I was to nervous by the way it felt like it would tip if i hit a turn a little hard or fast. Although the guys i ride with that have them hit the same trials as i do, almost as fast as i do (when im on my 450r) and have NO problems. I agree, ride both and see what you like.

03-29-2008, 03:56 PM
z400's do seem a bit tippy and that they sit to high. Like a raptor. The 400ex is better all around. People with Z400's will actually use some of the 400ex parts because the 400ex parts are better.

400EXtreme
03-29-2008, 05:46 PM
face it all your gunna get our biased opinions. Just go try them both and see which one you like better.

03-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by 400EXtreme
face it all your gunna get our biased opinions. Just go try them both and see which one you like better.

very true. People tend to like what they have. I have experienced both and I wouldnt trade my 400ex for a z400 i could tell ya that much. The 400ex/250r geometry is still some of the best out there. Z400 has a little bit more power and the liquid cooling is nice but I could easily get passed that and see how much better the 400ex is.

dpizz450
03-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
People with Z400's will actually use some of the 400ex parts because the 400ex parts are better.

LMFAO! that has got to be the most moronic and biased opinion i have ever seen on this site. :rolleyes:

and the Z DOES NOT sit like a raptor.

edit- i own a z400 and i am not biased at all. i give the most unbiased opinion when it comes to this. of course i like my z400 better then an EX but thats just personal preference, but when an idiot like you comes and just says "ERMM, YEP THE 400EX IS BETTER ALL AROUND" with no statements to back it up, it shows you dont know that much about the Z. neither one is better. they both have pros and cons. and it all boils down to personal prefernce. and if you wanna say the ex is "better" stock for stock then why does the Z come with liquid coolin, 2-3 more hp, and a tad faster on top end?? what makes the 400ex SOO much better?

03-30-2008, 12:23 AM
uh yeah people do use 400ex parts on their z because they are better. The intake boot is suppoed to be a air flow upgrade.

700bRad
03-30-2008, 02:16 AM
Ok, if you want a non-biased opinion, im the guy to tell it to ya straight. Im a Yamaha man at heart.. Anyway the Z and Ex's power/torque is very alike. The one thing that makes a Ex better then a Z or KFX is the handling and ergonomics. Also ive seen some pretty wicked, and I mean wicked hills that have trashed z's and kfx's (Go get the tractor because were takin this bike out in a basket type of trashed). And ive seen the same riders try shooting the same hill's on Ex's only to barely and stubbornly make their way up it. Ex's are the way to go man... Compared to a fo' fiddy they arnt very much to brag about, but their bullet proof. If I had to choose a 400 I would definetely no questions asked go for an ex...

700bRad
03-30-2008, 02:16 AM
Ok, if you want a non-biased opinion, im the guy to tell it to ya straight. Im a Yamaha man at heart.. Anyway the Z and Ex's power/torque is very alike. The one thing that makes a Ex better then a Z or KFX is the handling and ergonomics. Also ive seen some pretty wicked, and I mean wicked hills that have trashed z's and kfx's (Go get the tractor because were takin this bike out in a basket type of trashed). And ive seen the same riders try shooting the same hill's on Ex's only to barely and stubbornly make their way up it. Ex's are the way to go man... Compared to a fo' fiddy they arnt very much to brag about, but their bullet proof. If I had to choose a 400 I would definetely no questions asked go for an ex...

dpizz450
03-30-2008, 02:49 AM
uh yeah people do use 400ex parts on their z because they are better. The intake boot is suppoed to be a air flow upgrade.
b/c it performs better with the mods ppl do to their Z's. not because "its a better part then the z400" so you didnt answer my question and back up your statement of how the 400ex is "better all around"??:confused: :rolleyes:

dpizz450
03-30-2008, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by 700bRad

and i have seen some built Z and KFX trash built 400ex and even some lightly modded 450s in the dunes all day long.

wykyd450R
03-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Fact is, a z400 responds to mods WAAY better than the ex does, due to its engine design. I have owned 3 400ex's and a z400, and the Z was the better quad. Liquid cooling helps more than the nay sayers think. The ex's power drops slightly when it gets hot. The Z's engine is just more advanced in design, much like the 450's. I am a honda man, but I believe the z is the better choice. As others said, ride both, and decide for yourself.

yellow400ex05
03-30-2008, 08:53 AM
I'll try and give my best unbiased opinion on this as much as I can.

Stock for stock a z400 will beat a 400ex by at least 1 quad length. The 400ex handles better because it has a lower stance which allows it to corner better, and to some people feel safer at higher speeds.

The 400ex has a bulletproof air-cooled SOHC engine it may have old tech, but it holds its own against the z400 considerably well considering the "disadvantages" it has. The modifications in some way are cheaper and it is easier to work on due to the older technology. The 400ex also has lots of torque stock, and is great for tracks, trails and slower trail riding.

The z400 has a more modern DOHC liquid cooled engine making it run much cooler, which is what provided it the slight edge against the EX. They are very snappy and rev out a little faster. The only complaint I have about then is they sit higher and lack torque, also more difficult to work on IMO.

and yes I have ridden and worked on both. The power of the z400's come all mostly up top, the 400ex's have mostly all around power with more torque off the bottom than the z400.

Best option is to ride both like others said..

I love my 400ex and would never trade it for a z400, although I always wanted a z400 I'm so glad I didn't.

And Don't get me wrong I like z400's but I wouldn't trade up for one by any means.

My cousin has a z400 WhiteZrider, and both of our 400's run unusually well, even he will admit that the Z has an empty spot after 2nd gear with its lack of bottom end, so He's dropping the tooth in the front to a 13 to rip around better.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/vanscan/PictureorVideo007.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/vanscan/PictureorVideo003.jpg

braybray08
03-30-2008, 11:25 AM
People with Z400's will actually use some of the 400ex parts because the 400ex parts are better.

That quote just made my day and it just might make my signature

03-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by YZrida
b/c it performs better with the mods ppl do to their Z's. not because "its a better part then the z400" so you didnt answer my question and back up your statement of how the 400ex is "better all around"??:confused: :rolleyes:

In my eyes the only points the z400 has better would be liquid cooling, a little bit more HP and the front shocks of the newer z400. Other than that the 400ex is a "bullet-proof" engine. Its been proven and it came from the great predecesor the 250r which did so well. Most of the parts from 400ex to 250r are very similar. The geometry and handling is some of the best out there. It sits lower than the z400. There are many other points which my friend could explain them all why the 400ex was better than the z400. Either will make you happy but the difference between 400ex and z400 clearly is that the 400ex would be a better choice. Its all preference and such.

700bRad
03-30-2008, 02:10 PM
I have seen many Z's and KFX's. Alot of people I ride with have them, and they all have the same defects. The number 1 problem that would drive me nuts with the KFX's and Z's is the plastic around the gas tank does not stay snapped together! Every single Z and KFX I have ever seen has this exact same problem. You pretty much have to drill holes and use zip ties to hold it together. The chain adjustment isnt the best design either, and the swingarm looks cheap. The older Z's also have a weak subframe. In my earlier post I stated that ive seen some hills that have trashed z's, but I forgot to add that ive seen quite a few z's as well roll bumper to grab bar down these same hills and come out unscaved. Im not writing these things to piss off z or kfx owners im just telling it like it is, and what ive seen from my personal experiences with them.

dpizz450
03-30-2008, 06:28 PM
In my eyes the only points the z400 has better would be liquid cooling, a little bit more HP and the front shocks of the newer z400. Other than that the 400ex is a "bullet-proof" engine. Its been proven and it came from the great predecesor the 250r which did so well. Most of the parts from 400ex to 250r are very similar. The geometry and handling is some of the best out there. It sits lower than the z400. There are many other points which my friend could explain them all why the 400ex was better than the z400. Either will make you happy but the difference between 400ex and z400 clearly is that the 400ex would be a better choice. Its all preference and such.

you say its all preference, but right before you say that you say the EX is a better choice, sounds like your contradicting yourself there...

tgreenz400
03-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Looks like a biased thread to me.

Ride both;) so that you can have your own opinion and not everyone elses.

250rmike
03-30-2008, 08:09 PM
sorry guys but i have to disagree with the poll the z400 is a better machine no matter how you look at it. more powerful motor better suspension reverse pretty much the same ergo's just a better bike all around this is coming from someone who has rode a 400ex plenty of times and owned a z400. i know some people will disagree with me but lets face it this is a honda site and yes i do like honda's everthing they build is reliable but lets face the facts the 400ex was built in 99 and was the only thing out and the z400 was built after the honda to beat and compete with it thus the reason factorys are back into quads. please dont use mis information if you havent had ample time on both machines

dpizz450
03-31-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by 250rmike
sorry guys but i have to disagree with the poll the z400 is a better machine no matter how you look at it. more powerful motor better suspension reverse pretty much the same ergo's just a better bike all around this is coming from someone who has rode a 400ex plenty of times and owned a z400. i know some people will disagree with me but lets face it this is a honda site and yes i do like honda's everthing they build is reliable but lets face the facts the 400ex was built in 99 and was the only thing out and the z400 was built after the honda to beat and compete with it thus the reason factorys are back into quads. please dont use mis information if you havent had ample time on both machines

that is quality input. not because you vote for the Z but because its not biased, and you point out this is a honda site and 90% of the ppl are honda biased. its be just vice versa like i said above if you went to z400central forums. maybe go to a yamaha forum or something and you might get some unbiased opinions. dont make your decision before riding both quads, you will be kicking yourself later for it, trust me.