PDA

View Full Version : Front shocks questions (400EX)

77jazz
03-27-2008, 07:38 PM
I hope someone here can help me with a few questions.

1. Will stock 450R front shocks bolt right up to my 400EX or will I need to make some mods?

2. What are the benefits of switching to them from my stock 400EX shocks?

3. What weight are the 450R shocks set up for? Will I have to have them revalved (I am 165 lbs)?

4. On my stock front shocks, what setting should I have them on for MX? I ride fairly hard. I know i am supposed to have 6-8" of sag, or ground clearance I should say, with my rear shock, but have no clue how or where to set my fronts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

77jazz

tar
03-27-2008, 08:35 PM
1. They will need the top of the shock ground off to fit. Other than that they are direct bolt ups.
2. The benefits are that they have adjustments unlike the 400ex shocks. They also have an oil resivoir.
3. I am not sure what the 450r shocks are valved out of the factory. If you ride hard and aggressive or have plans of racing you will want them resprung/revalved.
4. Not sure what setting you will want it on but that's somthing you will just have to play with until you get it right.

If you do get 450r fronts and want the revalved C&D Racing does great work!

04TRX400EX
03-27-2008, 10:05 PM
1. As said, the very top of the shock mounting area needs to be ground off to clear the 400EX attachment point

2. Benefits include fully adjustable preload, compression, and rebound and a oil reservoir providing more shock oil recirculation resulting in less shock fade

3. 450R shocks are even stiffer than 400EX shocks so depending on how you like the feel of your stockers, you may or may not want to get them revalved. Personally, I think they are way too stiff but I only weigh 150lbs. with gear

4. You cannot even setup your stock shocks cause the only thing you can adjust is the preload. Moving the preload adjuster will provide minimal ride height and springrate changes that you'll probably not even notice. You can adjust your rear shock however. Compression and rebound settings are up to you and a guess & check process to see what feels good. The ride height can be adjusted using the threaded retainers at the top of the shock. Ride height for MX is usually around 8-9" (measured at the foot peg bolt and the front engine mount )with the front approximately 1/4 - 1/2" higher than the rear.

77jazz
03-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Thank you very much for the help. I really appreciate it.

77jazz

77jazz
03-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Does anyone who has done this have a pic of the shock after the mod? Just curious how much was grinded off.

Thanks.

77jazz
tmuchow@i29.net

ride red 14
03-28-2008, 05:31 PM
if you take a chisel and knock the nut out that is welded inside the shock mount, where your front fender bracket is bolted on, they will fit in there without grinding the shock. then all you have to do is get a small carriage style bolt and come from the bottom to remount your plastic bracket. it is a much cleaner job than grinding a pair of $200 shocks.

REDRIDDER
03-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by ride red 14
if you take a chisel and knock the nut out that is welded inside the shock mount, where your front fender bracket is bolted on, they will fit in there without grinding the shock. then all you have to do is get a small carriage style bolt and come from the bottom to remount your plastic bracket. it is a much cleaner job than grinding a pair of $200 shocks. exactly what i did also makes the resale higher if you sell them in the future lol....easy.

Joecool1264
04-02-2008, 07:55 PM
If you can afford it get a dual rate spring kit. GT Thunder, C&d racing , Works perf. all make kits for around $225. They are way cool! Lowers the bike, makes it turn so good. I know you should re-valve for your weight, but that takes extra money. The spring kit is a very good first step, helped my ride a ton. Just my two cents. Read all the responses, there are some very sharp guy that post on this site especially on 400Exs. later.