PDA

View Full Version : Frames suggestions?

TrxR
03-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Whose frame would you suggest for a woods/play quad? Which frames will accept which stock parts? Any website for your suggestions would also be appreciated.

Thanks

beak7707
03-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Not all the frame builders are still making frames. I know Arens and LSR are still making them. I would go with Arens, they are cheaper and i think better for woods. All the old magazines I have that done shootouts on the frames loved Arens. All said the stock parts fit best and alignment was great. When they tested Arens against LSR the Arens won hands down. Arens is huge on stock parts fitting, and building great frames.

Rich250RRacer
03-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by beak7707
Not all the frame builders are still making frames. I know Arens and LSR are still making them. I would go with Arens, they are cheaper and i think better for woods. All the old magazines I have that done shootouts on the frames loved Arens. All said the stock parts fit best and alignment was great. When they tested Arens against LSR the Arens won hands down. Arens is huge on stock parts fitting, and building great frames.

I think you have that COMPLETELY backwards. I own two Lonestars and when I've compared them to Arens, I believe the Lonestar is a far better chassis. I've heard the horror stories of parts fitting on an Arens, maybe an Arens owner on here can give us some input on this. I know the early Lonestars were bad for fitment of parts, but they are now VERY well built. My '01 was decent, the '03 was excellent.

rustyATV
03-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Most of the issues I had with Arens had to do with mounting A-arms and the engine, where the thickness of the powdercoating wasn't accounted for, and so had to be filed off to get them to mount.

Bolts for the skid plate and the silencer were in odd places, so I had to drill new ones or fab a mount.

I think Arens was geared towards the MX racer more than XC, because a number of things were omitted, such as the lower frame mounts for the plastic, mount for the overflow tank, and any space for the snorkel was left out of consideration. I ended up finding a vacuum tube to replace the snorkel, fortunately.

Lonestar never came into my consideration, after I spoke to their "engineer" years back.

beak7707
03-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Those magazine issues were from years back. But I know a couple of people who ran Arens frames and loved them.

TrxR
03-29-2008, 05:19 AM
What do you guys think about Walsh or Roll?

deathman53
03-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Walsh is still making frames, Roll isn't. However, the walsh is VERY different than stock. The whole geometery of the chassis is different, narrow front for one, I think they use cr500 links for the rear suspsenion, adjustable shock tower mounts, a-arms are placed in different spots. Not much will work with stock parts.

deathman53
03-29-2008, 09:06 AM
I got an idea, call hre atv 1-717-944-4507, he will make you what you want. He has built me an atc250r frame(kept breaking stock ones) and how he is building me 2 atc250r frames, one for use of a 86 atc200x motor and another for crf450r motor. Of course all the extra stuff(nerf, stabilizer, fliptop seat, maybe cr500 links) on it and trx450r parts to replace the aging and discontinued atc250r parts.