PDA

View Full Version : valve adjustment

mikesxr
03-27-2008, 04:22 PM
hey guys i need help. im trying to adjust the valves on my predator the manual says for 0.004 clearnace between the cam and valve bucket. mine is too tight and the cam is touching the valve bucket. how do you measure inorder to find a new one i dont want to buy a hole set the dealer is going to sell me the ones i need.

allthriller250x
04-03-2008, 04:05 PM
you have to use a macrometer. loosen a lock nut on the rocker and adjust the height. should bea s straight screw driver. well its that way on my Honda.

predatoradam
04-23-2008, 05:03 PM
I have the same situation on my 05 TLD. I am going to pull the intake cam and buckets, then measure the thickness of the shim. After that, I will get shims that are 0.004" thinner to compensate and possibly get me in the ballpark. However, I believe this may be hiding a larger issue. Since it is fairly hard to believe that the shims wore down, I am wondering if the valve seats are sinking into the head, which would cause a decrease in valve lash. I am going to do the shims for now, but I wouldn't be surprised if cylinder head machine work is in my near future!

mikesxr
04-23-2008, 07:22 PM
i got mine adjusted a while ago just havnt been able to test it yet as i am rebuilding the hole atv and im not done yet. i just went to my yamaha dealer dont ask the parts lady ask a mechanic if you can borrow his smallest shims. go home install them then measure what you need and go back and buy the right shims. the shims are the same for a yamaha yfz 450 yamaha wants like 1.50 a shim polairs wants 15.00 a shim just so you know.