PDA

View Full Version : Cam Install help!

cgndhhh
03-27-2008, 02:33 PM
hey guys i am finishing up a top end rebuild and i've been trying to align my sprocket. The service manual sys to align the 2 horizontal marks on the sprocket to line up with the straight edge of the valve cover. But the closest i can get it is like i have in the pic. I've got the T aligned with the notch for TDC. I do have a sparks timing advance key installed. if i jump a tooth forward or backward on the sprocket it throws it way off. The red mark i have is where the other line is that should line up with the edge of the head.

does this seem about right where i'd be at with the key installed?

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x306/cgndhhh/IMG_2158.jpg

webbnaste
04-01-2008, 09:58 AM
This might seem like an obvious answer, but when you go to start up your bike, you should be able to tell. If its really off it wont even start, and if it starts and runs like junk...its not in time. Sry I couldnt help ya more...

Honda#4
04-01-2008, 10:28 AM
What stage you running? cuz IDK if its a good idea to run a cam with the sparks key in also

cgndhhh
04-01-2008, 01:47 PM
yea, started the bike sat. and it sounded and ran fine broke in the cam and piston using mototune's guide. guessing it is off a bit cuz of the sparks key. and i have read alot of people not wanting to use the sparks key if you have higher compression or big bore but also heard of people running them with great success. figure i'll leave mine in for the time being and see how it runs :D oh and im running a stage 2 cam.

JE 416, 10.8CR
CRF Chain
HC Stage 2
Sparks Timing Key
K&N Filter
HMF exhaust

i've actually been following ur thread on ur build up also, except for the gaskets and port work looks like we've got same parts we're installing. i still got a few parts (left/right case covers, hubs, oil tank, foot pegs) that i have to powder coat and i should be set. any idea when your finishing ur build? any plans on getting a 450r carb? planning on doing it to mine soon as i get everything broken in right and get back from my trip to glamis.

Honda#4
04-01-2008, 02:16 PM
When I get my credit card statement paid from my last purchases then my head and cylinder will go out, hopefully within this month I should be done with everything. I've been looking into a 450r carb but theres a few other things I want to buy first, nerfs and heelguards, if I can sell something else on my quad then I could buy a 450 carb but otherwise my days of spending quad money are pretty much over, gotta save for my wedding next year.

TRXRacer1
04-01-2008, 08:06 PM
The T mark is off due to your advance key. You would need to either make a new mark corresponding with the actual TDC or get rid of the key and your T mark will be correct again.