PDA

View Full Version : 400EX modding

Arynock
11-22-2002, 07:40 PM
Alrighty guys i think i made up my mind, my parents are gonna be buying me a 400ex, and i'm gonna be working to get some extra money to buy the mods, i'm going to be working this summer since i have some connections(oh yea) and hopefully i should be in the money..

Alrighty so i figure, a brandy dandy new 400ex is gonna cost me $5,699(or is it possible to talk em down)??

Well and here is my list of mods, help me out if you could, tell me what i'm doing wrong or what i need? oh and if u add something tell me the price of it ?

-=Mods=-
Alloy Nerf Bars($166)
Whitebrothers E-Series Promeg Silencer($493)
**Not sure about the piston resizing, help me out on this one**
HotCams stage 1(not sure about the price on this one?)
DynoJet Kit($53)
Quiksilver Carburetor($447, is this a waste or would it really bring out some power?)
*(Not sure about the K&N filter, i know i need it, how much could it cost me?**
**Not sure about the front&rear sprocket size(teeth), so what would be the best, i'm looking for speed, but with a lil accel, i want to even it out actually**
-======-
Okay thats all i got, take some time and tell me what i need, or what i dont :)

Thanks!

ridesa02400EX
11-22-2002, 10:19 PM
with piston resizing im guessing you mean boring for that go with an IMS 440 kit from rocky mountain i think its about $250 or $300 for the jet kit and K & N filter just bye a K & N power kit for about $150 that comes with the filter, outerwear, and jets and get a 14 tooth Renthal front sprocket and just leave the back one alone that should cost about $20 bucks i havent heard very many good things about hot cams but i guess web cams are supposed to be pretty good (not sure tho) you can check out their site in the links section of this site for the nerf bars go with AC propegs

Team Outlaw #34
11-22-2002, 10:32 PM
you aren't going to have to pay that much.... they are sellin BRAND NEW 2002's for 4700 down here....and i've heard cheaper from other people....

As for the sprockets....if you go down a tooth from the stocker sprocket (front) you will have more bottom end power and loosing a bit of top end power and if you go up a tooth then you will have more top end with not as much bottom end....

And what kind of riding are you doing? MX?

Arynock
11-23-2002, 08:42 AM
well road riding, in fields, and mostly through my friends woods till i getta goto indiana(dune) or michigan(trail riding) this coming summer

ChEX
11-23-2002, 08:59 AM
Arynock, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I am 18 and wish my parents would have bought me a 400, I had to buy my own. Have you ever thought about asking them to give you the moneyfor a new one, and then buy a used one? If so, then you could get a 440 kit on there for nothing and some oter stuff on top of that. I got mine in mint condition for $2800, I think I got a good deal or something, but if you got 4600 from the parentals, imagine what you could do with the rest of the money. Oh yeah, and the dunes in Michigan are much better than Indiana. I live in Michigan, so anytime you want to cruise this way to ride tell me.

Arynock
11-23-2002, 09:01 AM
Anywho i'm 14, gonna be 15 this december :)
and actually chex, i'm still debating on whether to get a ex or a z... i think i'm leaning towards a Z... Only reason i'm getting anything is b/c my friend brought his over one day and let me dad ride it, and since then my dad has wanted one of his own, so i think he's gonna get a 400ex and i'm gonna be gettin the Z400, hopefully i will smoke him also :)

Arynock
11-23-2002, 09:02 AM
Also i didn't include, my parents go crazy when i ask to buy something used, they always say something could be wrong with it, i could prove to them 100 different ways that its in mint condition, but they still want to go with one from a retailer..

Sparks425Ex
11-23-2002, 09:04 AM
Here is my Theroy on what you should do:

Don;t go and by a brand new 400Ex. Waste of money. People these days are selling used ones for wicked cheap. Most of them you will find on this site are in great shape. And they already have some or alot of mods.

Buy a modded 400Ex for 4000-4500 then take your other 1200 and buy some Elkas Triple Rates with piggy Back rezzies and SSD and some Houser a arms. and you will be set.

Tommy 17
11-23-2002, 10:20 AM
nacs he said hes not buyin used...

arynock you have a few choices u can make...

1# u can go and buy a 400ex for lets say 4500 to 4700$ out the door... thats about the goin price here... also its proven reliable... with the extra money u save from not buyin the z and u can get shocks of some sort which help alot more then ur motor work u have listed above...

#2 u can go buy a z400 for lets say 5400$ out the door mayb more... it will be faster then the 400ex but handle just about the same but not nearly as well as a 400ex with the shocks from the money u saved... also its not proven yet its only in its 1st year...

#3 u can save up 6300 go buy a c-dale and smoke them all... but u will still be on a stock suspension quad unlike the 400ex...

also i noticed a few mods i would change... u said dg alloy nerfs BIG no no AC PRO PEG all the way, i have had both and i'll never go back to dg... they suck!

also u said u want a cam, high compression big bore piston, and a carb... i'd wait on the carb atleast get a stock carb mod and put a axle on it... it will handle a 100 times better... i wish i personally would have never done my motor work... it shows no where bc my suspension can't handle it...

250x
11-24-2002, 10:34 PM
did he just say "getta goto"?:huh isnt that the quad bin laden pimps on?